CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

RE: How do you grill?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: How do you grill? Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: How do you grill? - 3/20/2020 7:48:11 PM   
Wine Lover 99

Char-Broil infrared 4 burner gas. Cabinet type smoker

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 61
RE: How do you grill? - 3/21/2020 1:46:39 PM   
wadcorp

"Wine is light held together by moisture."
— Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer (1564-1642)

(in reply to racerchris)
Post #: 62
RE: How do you grill? - 3/23/2020 5:44:22 PM   
Montana Chancellor

[URL=https://s350.photobucket.com/user/deultgen/media/20200319_190327_zpsruub5kqr.jpg.html][IMG]https://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q402/deultgen/20200319_190327_zpsruub5kqr.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Small infared grill from our Condo balcony in Great Falls. Puts a nice char on a steak

Montana Chancellor

"Sorrow can be alleviated by good sleep, a bath, and a glass of wine" St. Thomas Aquinas

(in reply to wadcorp)
Post #: 63
RE: How do you grill? - 3/23/2020 5:46:30 PM   
Montana Chancellor

[URL=https://s350.photobucket.com/user/deultgen/media/20200319_190327_zpsruub5kqr.jpg.html][/URL][image][/image]

Montana Chancellor

"Sorrow can be alleviated by good sleep, a bath, and a glass of wine" St. Thomas Aquinas

(in reply to Montana Chancellor)
Post #: 64
RE: How do you grill? - 3/24/2020 5:11:24 PM   
bmckenney

New to CT discussion board.
My fave website for grilling is amazingribs.com. Great tips, recipes and equipment reviews. Gas, Charcoal, Smokers.
I have a 20 year old weber Silver that i refurbished with a new igniter and burners and grates last summer. The grates I used are grillgrates. So much better than cast iron or porcelain. Love them. They are modular and can fit pretty much any dimension of grill space. Best grill upgrade I have done evah.

https://amazingribs.com/cast-aluminum-hard-anodized-grillgrates-tm

< Message edited by bmckenney -- 3/24/2020 5:13:12 PM >

(in reply to Montana Chancellor)
Post #: 65
RE: How do you grill? - 3/27/2020 5:21:03 AM   
daviladc

Rack of Lamb, sous vide at 129° for 2.5 hours and finished on a Lynx Grill at 1100°. First attempt and it was perfectly executed.

< Message edited by daviladc -- 3/27/2020 5:24:17 AM >

Wine is not furniture. Drink it!

(in reply to bmckenney)
Post #: 66
RE: How do you grill? - 3/27/2020 5:35:08 AM   
Paul852

Either you're not socially isolating or you have a big family or you are very hungry!

(in reply to daviladc)
Post #: 67
RE: How do you grill? - 3/27/2020 5:49:15 AM   
daviladc

Haha!!!

We're keeping it pretty tight over here. Just me, my wife and son who is here from college. I need this issue to be over. I have to travel for a living and right now, travel isn't an option.

On the positive side, I'll get time at home to perfect my grilling techniques in my new outdoor kitchen. The final touches get put on tomorrow. I'll post a picture of it then.

(in reply to Paul852)
Post #: 68
RE: How do you grill? - 3/29/2020 3:20:21 AM   
WineJ2019

Last week I also tried sous vide for the first time, with a NY strip steak. Except I finished it on the stove with a cast iron skillet (Le Creuset) instead of on the grill. (And set oFf the fire alarm in the process! Need to open the windows next time). I’ll have to try the lamb rack, that looks really good!

(in reply to daviladc)
Post #: 69
RE: How do you grill? - 3/29/2020 4:06:42 AM   
ClausP

I have also used sous-vide for steak, but I would suggest you do a bit of looking in to reverse searing instead, I honestly think it makes for a better steak and it is just as easy as sv if you have a roasting thermometer.

Sous vide is excellent for tougher cuts, but not really necessary for steaks.

(in reply to WineJ2019)
Post #: 70
RE: How do you grill? - 3/29/2020 5:01:34 AM   
daviladc

Claus,

Do you need to use SV on a prime fillet? Maybe, depending on what you have to cook with. If you have a grill that can get to 1100°F, then the SV is perfect because you'll never get the gray band around the outside of the steak. That makes the filet tough. Plus, I can season my steak during the SV process to infuse more flavor.

Here's a cool tip on SV. Quickly high heat sear the steak from raw and cold. Then bag it and SV the steak as normal. When done, pan sear for 1 minute per side. This intensifies the flavor grilling imparts on the desk without the chance of over cooking it.

(in reply to ClausP)
Post #: 71
RE: How do you grill? - 3/29/2020 5:10:36 AM   
WineJ2019

Thanks, I’ll give the reverse sear a try.

I did a series of sous vide meals for experimentation, and found the biggest positive difference with a pork tenderloin. Much more moist / tender than I ever achieved on the grill alone. I was disappointed with chicken SV but will try again with different (lower) temp

(in reply to daviladc)
Post #: 72
RE: How do you grill? - 3/29/2020 5:21:13 AM   
daviladc

Here is a time and temp chart from a friend's restaurant. I use this chart all the time.

< Message edited by daviladc -- 3/29/2020 5:23:40 AM >

(in reply to WineJ2019)
Post #: 73
RE: How do you grill? - 3/29/2020 5:23:31 AM   
jonathanknowles

I can't imagine chicken cooked sous vide is great. A hot and fast roast over charcoal is what I find works, for a whole bird at least.

I'm also unconvinced by steak cooked sous vide. It's still great if the meat is good but I'm not sure it's much better than just grilling it for the correct time, although if it's a really thick piece then maybe. I saw a video a few days ago of someone freezing a steak then (without defrosting) searing it and cooking it indirectly for a few more minutes. It looked good but the method scares me slightly.

(in reply to WineJ2019)
Post #: 74
RE: How do you grill? - 3/29/2020 5:31:41 AM   
daviladc

Chicken breast is even better SV because it's not dry.

Also, here's an example of how meat is cooked and then seared with no gray band around the outside. This elk chop is perfectly done.

(in reply to jonathanknowles)
Post #: 75
RE: How do you grill? - 3/29/2020 8:20:28 AM   
rlp805

Sous Vide really shines for dinner parties or anytime you don't want the food to dictate the timeline. You can have it sitting in the bath waiting for a quick finish or you can take it out chill in ice water then finish later. It just so happens that the time it takes to put a good sear on a steak is the time it takes to bring the center up to service temp. You also don't have to let the beef rest before cutting. That being said I think it works best for roasts where you want the perfect temp from one end to the other. It also cooks chicken very well as long as you finish it using another method. The easiest way I know of to make fried chicken is cook the chicken by sous vide then dry and coat as you normally would and fry it. All you have to worry about is the color of your coating and not whether or not the chicken is still bloody at the bone. It is also great when you forget to take something out for dinner because with most foods you can go straight from the freezer to the bath to a sear to the table.

-Richard

(in reply to daviladc)
Post #: 76
RE: How do you grill? - 3/29/2020 9:13:23 AM   
WineJ2019

Helpful info on the SV, thank you! One follow-up question: how much temperature increase do you account for in the searing phase? For example if you want a steak at 135, do you sous vide to something lower (say 130) and then get the last 5 degrees through searing? Or do you to sous vide to 135, let it rest/cool, and then the searing phase just adds color/texture? Thanks again

(in reply to rlp805)
Post #: 77
RE: How do you grill? - 3/29/2020 4:32:18 PM   
S1

quote:

ORIGINAL: WineJ2019

Helpful info on the SV, thank you! One follow-up question: how much temperature increase do you account for in the searing phase? For example if you want a steak at 135, do you sous vide to something lower (say 130) and then get the last 5 degrees through searing? Or do you to sous vide to 135, let it rest/cool, and then the searing phase just adds color/texture? Thanks again

I like steak at 129 degrees for 90 min and then a final red got sear.
Don’t go past 90 minutes if below 130 degrees because of too much time in the ‘danger zone.’

Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
"One not only drinks wine, one smells it, observes it, tastes it, sips it and -- one talks about it!" (in memory of drycab)

(in reply to WineJ2019)
Post #: 78
RE: How do you grill? - 3/29/2020 5:00:55 PM   
khmark7

Been watching several YouTube videos of smoking technique for my Green Egg.....now if only the weather would cooperate.

Gotta try a beef brisket.....love that stuff.

"a rogue Provence rouge of unknown provenance." author grafstrb

(in reply to S1)
Post #: 79
RE: How do you grill? - 3/31/2020 9:00:04 PM   
daviladc

quote:

ORIGINAL: WineJ2019

Since fat will render at 128°, after the 90 minute mark the steak is actually ready to sear. You can go longer based on thickness or how much more you want the fibers to break down. If you go much higher that 135°, you can overcook the steak when you go to sear it.

Remember, the steak had a LONG period of time at 128° inside the tank. That means the steak is cooked all the way through. Compared to just getting the steak off the heat at a lower temp and letting it rise while resting.

(in reply to WineJ2019)
Post #: 80
RE: How do you grill? - 4/2/2020 9:07:42 PM   
daviladc

Lamb chops, sous vide at 128° for 2.5 hours, then 3 minutes on the grill a 1100°. Absolute perfection. It's hard to get better at a restaurant.

(in reply to daviladc)
Post #: 81
RE: How do you grill? - 4/3/2020 4:46:03 AM   
khmark7

Lamb chops look good!

I've been saving all my pruning wood and cutting it up for smoking later this year when it dries. Apple wood, peach, grapes, apricot and Hickory. Maybe i should plant a cherry tree?

(in reply to daviladc)
Post #: 82
RE: How do you grill? - 4/3/2020 12:22:30 PM   
daviladc

I guess the term "sous vide" has been either typed too many times into my computer or said near my phone because this video showed up in my "recommended for you" list on YouTube today:

Sous Vide or Reverse Sear or Pan Sear

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 83
RE: How do you grill? - 4/9/2020 5:54:03 AM   
daviladc

Crown Roast sous vide 135°F for 5 hours and finished on a Lynx ProSear Trident.

(in reply to daviladc)
Post #: 84
RE: How do you grill? - 5/5/2024 4:52:00 PM   
khmark7

Pork Loin with some marinade and apple wood smoke on the Green Egg today. It's nice to be able and get outside after the long winter.

(in reply to daviladc)
Post #: 85
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: How do you grill? Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI