CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

RE: NWR. Tipping in USA has become absurd

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: NWR. Tipping in USA has become absurd Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: NWR. Tipping in USA has become absurd - 5/9/2024 1:08:21 PM   
recotte

quote:

ORIGINAL: wdcwineguys

Sit down restaurants 18%-25%
18% = poor service
20% = the norm
25% = Excellent

I always tip on the pre tax amount. If a restaurant tries to pre-calculate a tip on the post tax amount I always lower my tip.

If I order at a touch pad register I’ve stopped tipping. It’s gotten out of hand. Those employees are not tipped workers and earn a minimum wage. Tipping for servers is because they don’t get paid minimum wage and the tips bring them up to that or above.

I’ve also had it with places that are now defaulting to a 30% / 28% / 25% tip on the touch screen registers. Yes, you can also do a custom tip, but that just shows the business doesn’t respect its customers.

I typically tip housekeeping in a hotel $5-10/day depending on the level of a hotel.
$5-10 for a valet.

This mostly coincides with my approach. A few exceptions on the touchpads, like my local coffee place where they know me (and I them), and they start my usual order before I even reach the register, or other displays of actual personal service that I feel warrants a gratuity.

I also agree with Ibetian; if I'm bringing a bottle, I tip extra-generously.

And yeah, the touchpads where the minimum tip is 20% or more really irks me.

The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. - Oscar Wilde

(in reply to wdcwineguys)
Post #: 31
RE: NWR. Tipping in USA has become absurd - 5/9/2024 10:47:25 PM   
dhp.

quote:

ORIGINAL: wdcwineguys

Sit down restaurants 18%-25%
18% = poor service
20% = the norm
25% = Excellent

I always tip on the pre tax amount. If a restaurant tries to pre-calculate a tip on the post tax amount I always lower my tip.

If I order at a touch pad register I’ve stopped tipping. It’s gotten out of hand. Those employees are not tipped workers and earn a minimum wage. Tipping for servers is because they don’t get paid minimum wage and the tips bring them up to that or above.

I’ve also had it with places that are now defaulting to a 30% / 28% / 25% tip on the touch screen registers. Yes, you can also do a custom tip, but that just shows the business doesn’t respect its customers.

I typically tip housekeeping in a hotel $5-10/day depending on the level of a hotel.
$5-10 for a valet.

This is a little high for me. If it's poor service, i'm not going to tip much more than 15%. If it's actively horrific service, I'm tipping even less.

(in reply to wdcwineguys)
Post #: 32
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: NWR. Tipping in USA has become absurd Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI