2024 Wine Resolutions (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion

recotte -> 2024 Wine Resolutions (12/28/2023 3:54:23 PM)

As I contemplate the 2023 naughty/nice thread and my miserable failure at having anything approaching "balance" in my purchases and consumption, my thoughts turn to the year ahead, now that the year behind is water under the bridge.

So. Easy enough to say "buy less." I don't think my liver needs me to drink more, so the emphasis definitely needs to be buy less, as my cellar is bursting at the seams.

But I think my real goal for 2024 is to buy with intentionality. Cut multiple (but not all) mailing lists and buying out of habit or impulse. Every purchase made with the intention of filling a gap or having a purposeful spot in my cellar for the future.

We'll see how it goes.

What's your 2024 wine resolution?

CranBurgundy -> RE: 2024 Wine Resolutions (12/28/2023 7:37:43 PM)

I always resolve to not make any New Year's resolutions.

Eduardo787 -> RE: 2024 Wine Resolutions (12/28/2023 8:12:36 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: recotte

Drink a magnum by myself

recotte -> RE: 2024 Wine Resolutions (12/28/2023 8:18:43 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Eduardo787

quote:

Drink a magnum by myself

That’ll have to be a new thread: One whole magnum consumed alone

khmark7 -> RE: 2024 Wine Resolutions (12/29/2023 4:39:38 AM)

Goals:

Drink/open at least 50 bottles of Bordeaux this upcoming year. Need to reduce this inventory before it starts going downhill. Also need to get more bottles off my cellar floor!

Floss

eyewino -> RE: 2024 Wine Resolutions (12/29/2023 5:32:12 AM)

This may sound heretical to this group but I am resolving to drink less wine this year. My rate of consumption is not healthy, and I really need to lose 20-25 pounds.

There. I said it.

dad300 -> RE: 2024 Wine Resolutions (12/29/2023 6:45:21 AM)

goal is to have the cellar at 500 bottles by the end of 2024. This assumes by late spring we are in our own home and not renting.
Taking into account current annual consumption. hovering at the 250-300 bottles a year. (me, wife, adult children and spouse, as well as friends that visit)
my goal is to purchase 700ish bottles of wine this year. or a little more than a case a week. on average.
realistically if i end up at 300 bottles in the cellar I will be happy.

If any of you that want to reduce your cellar would like to donate to this cause. i would be more than happy to assist in your cellar reductions this year.

dad300 -> RE: 2024 Wine Resolutions (12/29/2023 6:46:31 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Eduardo787

quote:

Drink a magnum by myself

done that..its not pretty...

DrBad -> RE: 2024 Wine Resolutions (12/29/2023 6:58:51 AM)

Simple (not so simple): purchase less than consumption. I got it close in '23 if I subtract the end-of-year sale wine I purchased for our son's upcoming wedding. I'm dropping or pausing all but a few subscriptions and mailing list purchases.

wineismylife -> RE: 2024 Wine Resolutions (12/29/2023 8:24:28 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: CranBurgundy

This is me. I've kept one NY resolution in the past 40 years. 40 years ago I swore to never make another NY resolution and it's the only one I've kept ever since. [;)]

ChrisinCowiche -> RE: 2024 Wine Resolutions (12/29/2023 9:00:45 AM)

I resolve not to get run over by a truck, and make it to Spain for a wine vacation in November. Also planning a wine vacation with friends to Sonoma, will spend a few days sometime in Willamette, Walla Walla, Woodinville, SoDo, Yakima, Zillah, Prosser... Oh and for sure trips to Illinois and Alaska to watch our grandgirls grow. Not sure how I'll have time to work, but remote work can happen anywhere with a wifi connection, and I'll try that first in the new year from a condo overlooking the Sea of Cortez second week of January.

Goat Rocks Vineyard needs some work after a year of minimal upkeep. I was thinking about walking the rows last night, and I'm hopeful I'll be able to do that in a couple more months.

But avoiding trucks is the main thing.

jmcmchi -> RE: 2024 Wine Resolutions (12/29/2023 9:26:58 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: wineismylife

quote:

ORIGINAL: CranBurgundy

This is me. I've kept one NY resolution in the past 40 years. 40 years ago I swore to never make another NY resolution and it's the only one I've kept ever since. [;)]

+1

KPB -> RE: 2024 Wine Resolutions (12/30/2023 12:03:14 AM)

I like Chris’ suggestion. Let’s all be cautious around vehicles in 2024!

skifree -> RE: 2024 Wine Resolutions (12/30/2023 8:57:06 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: ChrisinCowiche

+1.

Less important, taking my cellar from the 1300's to the 1200's.

ericindc -> RE: 2024 Wine Resolutions (12/30/2023 9:54:18 PM)

Sell at least 10 cases.

khmark7 -> RE: 2024 Wine Resolutions (12/31/2023 3:13:39 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: skifree

quote:

ORIGINAL: ChrisinCowiche

+1.

Less important, taking my cellar from the 1300's to the 1200's.

+2 on both accounts

DoubleD1969 -> RE: 2024 Wine Resolutions (1/1/2024 10:20:37 AM)

I resolve to not be judgmental on people who drink their wines too young. 😂

bacchus -> RE: 2024 Wine Resolutions (1/1/2024 11:33:37 AM)

especially if they are autonomous.

jonboy74 -> RE: 2024 Wine Resolutions (1/1/2024 7:21:57 PM)

resolving to actually creating a wine budget and sticking to it...

jmcmchi -> RE: 2024 Wine Resolutions (1/1/2024 9:33:24 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: jonboy74

Once upon a time…..

sastewart -> RE: 2024 Wine Resolutions (1/2/2024 9:30:17 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: jmcmchi

quote:

Once upon a time…..

In a fantasyland far away...

WineGuyCO -> RE: 2024 Wine Resolutions (1/2/2024 10:05:10 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: sastewart

quote:

ORIGINAL: jmcmchi

quote:

Once upon a time…..

In a fantasyland far away...

[:D][:)][;)]

bretrooks -> RE: 2024 Wine Resolutions (1/4/2024 11:21:58 PM)

I like to think in terms of "trajectory changes for the new year" versus resolutions. The one which comes to mind for me is: get back into a regular habit of writing tasting notes.

grafstrb -> RE: 2024 Wine Resolutions (1/5/2024 12:41:58 AM)

quote:

As I contemplate the 2023 naughty/nice thread and my miserable failure at having anything approaching "balance" in my purchases and consumption, my thoughts turn to the year ahead, now that the year behind is water under the bridge.

So. Easy enough to say "buy less." I don't think my liver needs me to drink more, so the emphasis definitely needs to be buy less, as my cellar is bursting at the seams.

But I think my real goal for 2024 is to buy with intentionality. Cut multiple (but not all) mailing lists and buying out of habit or impulse. Every purchase made with the intention of filling a gap or having a purposeful spot in my cellar for the future.

We'll see how it goes.

Like others here, I don't do New Year's resolutions. That said, with respect to wine, I do have a tendency at this point every year to look back and assess what has happened with the cellar in the prior year, think about current and anticipated consumption trends, and try to determine what needs to happen to bring the cellar into "proper balance", whatever that means --- it will mean different things to different people. Based on what you wrote, it sounds like what it means to me is very similar to what it means to you.

Like you, I have perceived, if not actual, cellar size problems and I am not interested in increasing consumption. As you concluded for yourself, I have decided I need to buy more thoughtfully this year. For me, that means increasing my cellar diversity, specifically with an eye towards buying more Italy, Spain, South Africa, and Portugal. I often love wines from those areas, but when it comes to what I buy, it's nearly all French, with a healthy dose of German Riesling --- this is what I get sucked-into. I need for my buying to reflect not what i'm most excited about, but rather our consumption habits/preferences, which is far more varied.

recotte -> RE: 2024 Wine Resolutions (1/5/2024 9:11:42 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: grafstrb

Like others here, I don't do New Year's resolutions. That said, with respect to wine, I do have a tendency at this point every year to look back and assess what has happened with the cellar in the prior year, think about current and anticipated consumption trends, and try to determine what needs to happen to bring the cellar into "proper balance", whatever that means --- it will mean different things to different people. Based on what you wrote, it sounds like what it means to me is very similar to what it means to you.

Like you, I have perceived, if not actual, cellar size problems and I am not interested in increasing consumption. As you concluded for yourself, I have decided I need to buy more thoughtfully this year. For me, that means increasing my cellar diversity, specifically with an eye towards buying more Italy, Spain, South Africa, and Portugal. I often love wines from those areas, but when it comes to what I buy, it's nearly all French, with a healthy dose of German Riesling --- this is what I get sucked-into. I need for my buying to reflect not what i'm most excited about, but rather our consumption habits/preferences, which is far more varied.

I think we're in very similar spots. I don't make "life" new years resolutions, like most have opined here, but especially using the CT tools at our disposal, it's a good time to check in and look at buying vs. consumption trends, and where I need to do any course corrections to ensure I have the cellar that I want over the next X number of years. Seems kind of silly to have a nice cellar that's chock full, and not have it filled with the things I actually want to be drinking!

quote:

ORIGINAL: bretrooks

I like to think in terms of "trajectory changes for the new year" versus resolutions.

I very much like that phrase, "trajectory changes for the new year."

grafstrb -> RE: 2024 Wine Resolutions (1/5/2024 10:23:16 AM)

quote:

... Seems kind of silly to have a nice cellar that's chock full, and not have it filled with the things I actually want to be drinking!

YYYYYeeep [:-] ... I often wonder, How the heck did I manage to do this?!?

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: bretrooks

I like to think in terms of "trajectory changes for the new year" versus resolutions.

I very much like that phrase, "trajectory changes for the new year."

I like this phrase, too!

WineGuyCO -> RE: 2024 Wine Resolutions (1/5/2024 1:17:23 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: DoubleD1969

I resolve to not be judgmental on people who drink their wines too young. 😂

Excellent!! I will do the same. In addition, I resolve not to be judgemental on people who drink those syrupy sweet, CA Cab fruit bombs and give them 97, 98, 99 & 100 point scores. My lips are sealed…

DoubleD1969 -> RE: 2024 Wine Resolutions (1/5/2024 1:26:31 PM)

😂

Blue Shorts -> RE: 2024 Wine Resolutions (1/5/2024 2:20:33 PM)

I resolve not to be judgmental about people with opinions that differ from my own, even though they are WRONG! [;)]

diphthong -> RE: 2024 Wine Resolutions (1/6/2024 2:34:06 AM)

Add a few more whites (non-bubbles, chardonnay, sauvignon blanc, pinot grigio) to the list.

Page: [1] 2   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI
5.859375E-02