CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

Wishful Thinking

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> CellarTracker Support >> Wishful Thinking Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Wishful Thinking - 11/4/2004 6:22:17 PM   
WK Choy

I've junked my spreadsheet and migrated fully over to CellarTracker. Done the Paypal thing too.

Would like:
1- Nested sorts on the All Wines UI. The ability to set default nested sorts in the user profile would also be useful. I usually use Country, Region, Type, Vintage, Points.
2- I need Location and Bin on the Excel Web Query.
3- As I maintain cellars in multi countires/locations, a third level (location, bin, sub-bin) would be useful.
4- I note the facility to Hide Prices on the All Wines UI. Would be nice if I could hide locale.
5- A Classification field would be useful for data retrieval.

Cheers.
Post #: 1
RE: Wishful Thinking - 11/4/2004 8:13:09 PM   
Eric

Wow WK, you finally got rid of yoru spreadsheet. That is a big move, and I greatly appreciate your trust in me and this site!

1. You can actually do nested sorts, but there is no user interface. You have to hack the URL. One problem is that I need to expose more of the underlying columns to the sorting stuff. This is an area I will definitely get to. I also want to do server-side favorites so that people can customize to their heart's content and then save these as favorites.
  2. Location and Bin are exposed via the individual bottles tab of the Excel web query. You can create a pivot table that groups by Location, Bin, Wine, Locale, and Vintage with a count of unique barcodes. I just put something together and will email it to you shortly.
  3. Hmm, ok. I have some work ahead to change how I store this underlying info, and when I get around to that I will add a third level or a second bin field.
  4. Do you just want this for more compact onscreen display?
  5. Do you mean a user-defined column or set of columns where you could add extra info per-wine and then sort, filter etc?

Cheers!
    -Eric LeVine

http://twitter.com/cellartracker
    http://facebook.com/cellartracker

(in reply to WK Choy)
Post #: 2
RE: Wishful Thinking - 11/4/2004 9:18:35 PM   
WK Choy

Eric,

1. Look forward to this.
2. I have never been able to download the individual bottles worksheet. Excel always hangs. I'm not sure if it is the size of the worksheet or if it is my version of Excel (97). I drive my pivot tables off the wine list worksheet.
4. This is for a less cluttered display. I generally know where my wines come from. In my Excel worksheet I hide the columns with this information.
5. More than 95% of my wines are classified. I know what wines are first growths, second growths, grand cru, etc. It would be nice to be able to type '1st growth' in the quick search box and have CellarTracker come back with the information (at the moment you can do it with '1er' for burgs). I think a new field woul be better than the designation field.

Cheers

(in reply to Eric)
Post #: 3
RE: Wishful Thinking - 11/5/2004 1:16:06 AM   
WK Choy

OK. I tried hacking the URL. Could do Vintage, Type, Points. Missing Country and Region.

Cheers.

(in reply to Eric)
Post #: 4
RE: Wishful Thinking - 11/5/2004 1:25:32 AM   
WK Choy

Getting better at hacking, but incorporating nested sorts in the UI is more user friendly.

(in reply to Eric)
Post #: 5
Three levels of "location" - 1/7/2024 8:13:41 PM   
anubis

quote:

ORIGINAL: Eric
  • Hmm, ok. I have some work ahead to change how I store this underlying info, and when I get around to that I will add a third level or a second bin field.

• Anything ever come of adding a "third" level to the location/bin structure? I would find it useful to have a "higher" level then the current location.

My current usage is for LOCATION to cover the various locations in my house. e.g. CELLAR, BEDROOM, KITCHEN, WINEFRIDGE, etc...
    I then use BIN for the location of the wine within these LOCATIONS. e.g. Level1 ... Level9, Box01 ... Box99, etc...
    I now own a holiday home I will be storing wine at that will have the same structure as my primary residence.
    Having a PROPERTY field would make it easy to manage, sort and select wine using the NARROW RESULTS filters.

Alternately, how could I restructure my thinking/storage to cater for "3 levels" with the current "2 level" abilities of CellarTracker?

Thanks

(in reply to Eric)
    Post #: 6
    RE: Three levels of "location" - 1/7/2024 8:39:11 PM   
    Eric

No. That was a note from NINETEEN years ago.

We do not have a third level. There is location and bin. Each 40 characters. You can use them in compound ways.

Cheers!
    -Eric LeVine

http://twitter.com/cellartracker
    http://facebook.com/cellartracker

(in reply to anubis)
    Post #: 7
    RE: Three levels of "location" - 1/7/2024 8:59:57 PM   
    anubis

quote:

ORIGINAL: Eric

No. That was a note from NINETEEN years ago.

We do not have a third level. There is location and bin. Each 40 characters. You can use them in compound ways.

Haha, it's amazing what a "fuzzy" search will find...

Re: using "compound ways" within the 2 levels... I have considered this, it's ugly, but I'll give it a go.

(in reply to Eric)
    Post #: 8
    Page:   [1]
    All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> CellarTracker Support >> Wishful Thinking Page: [1]
    Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
    Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
    Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
     Post New Thread
     Reply to Message
     Post New Poll
     Submit Vote
     Delete My Own Post
     Delete My Own Thread
     Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI