CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

Champagne Coessens dupes/mistakes/confusion

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> Wine Data Errors & Corrections >> Champagne Coessens dupes/mistakes/confusion Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Champagne Coessens dupes/mistakes/confusion - 4/25/2024 1:54:29 AM   
fanglangzhe

According to the champagne house's website (linked below), they only make 1 blanc de noirs. Yet, the CT database has 5 versions. I suspect most of these are dupes/mistakes. The correct name based on CT database seems to be: Coessens Champagne Blanc de Noirs Brut Lieu-dit Largillier. But "lieu-dit" is tiny on the front label. Should it just be "Coessens Champagne Blanc de Noirs Brut" or "Coessens Champagne Blanc de Noirs Brut Largillier"? Lieu-dit = place called? Largillier is the name of the vineyard.

Also, it is unclear to me whether this is a vintage or NV champagne (CT forum members have designated it as both). On the bottle I have, it states on the back label "le Pinot Noir une seule annee 2017". Meaning Pinot Noir only from 2017.

https://www.champagne-coessens.com/en/the-wines-of-largillier
https://www.champagne-coessens.com/en/the-wines-of-largillier/blanc-de-noirs

< Message edited by fanglangzhe -- 4/25/2024 1:55:53 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Champagne Coessens dupes/mistakes/confusion - 4/25/2024 2:56:51 AM   
Paul852

There are quite a few grower champagnes which are from a single vintage, but this is not sufficient to make them vintage champagnes. That also requires a minimum of 36 months sur lies. I assume (or sometimes it is explicitly stated) that a shorter period is what leads to the NV categorisation.

It isn't clear to me whtether "vintage" on CT is designed to be "wines made from a single year's crop" or to be whatever the authorities deem sufficient for it to be termed "vintage" for that wine type.

< Message edited by Paul852 -- 4/25/2024 2:58:33 AM >

(in reply to fanglangzhe)
Post #: 2
RE: Champagne Coessens dupes/mistakes/confusion - 4/25/2024 5:41:43 AM   
andrew

Fixed what I could. Unfortunately, Champagne houses (especially smaller ones) have notoriously unreliable websites for excluding releases. Since dosage determines brut/extra-brut as does the market to which the wine is heading, we can't really exclude some wines. There are plenty of cases of non-listed versions marketed specifically for different regions or simply a different label of 'extra-brut' for markets like look for this. I suspect here that all the E-B BdN are the vintage version though.

"It isn't clear to me whtether "vintage" on CT is designed to be "wines made from a single year's crop" or to be whatever the authorities deem sufficient for it to be termed "vintage" for that wine type."

It isn't clear to us either! There is no single answer that makes everyone happy.

Without re-litigating something that has been hashed out in numerous places (including a recent blow up over Ulysse Collin), this is something we just can't handle well. Technically in Champagne, those wines that aren't aged enought are NV (not MV.) But a lot of users want to catalogue by vintage which we can sometimes accommodate. (Release/disgorgement date, no.) Here, there looks to be a big confusion where the proper vintage (millisimé) versions are being confused with the single vintage, non-vintaged versions. The former are all extra-brut, so I think I can clean this up more.

Andrew Hall

CellarTracker Editorial & Support Services

(in reply to Paul852)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> Wine Data Errors & Corrections >> Champagne Coessens dupes/mistakes/confusion Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI