About this site
Links to other sites
Going Away Celebration and Dinner for David
| (116 page views)|
| 10/30/2011 (The Panhandle and Nopa, San Francisco)|
The Heirloom Cafe family put together a wonderful evening for our good friend David, who is leaving the fold to return to Charleston. May our paths cross again soon!
- 2004 François Cazin (Le Petit Chambord) Cour-Cheverny Vendanges Manuelles Cuvée Renaissance - France, Loire Valley, Upper Loire, Cour-Cheverny
Gorgeous nose of pear and honey. Very caressing texture but excellent underlying acidity to keep it firm. Moderately sweet. Absolutely delicious. At this level of sweetness, the Romorantin loses a little of its unique varietal character and tastes very much like Vouvray. No complaints though, just picking nits.
- 1996 Domaine de la Louvetrie (Landron & Fils) Muscadet de Sèvre-et-Maine Sur Lie Le Fief du Breil - France, Loire Valley, Pays Nantais, Muscadet de Sèvre-et-Maine
Magnum. Medium yellow. Still recognizably Muscadet but not nearly as fresh or pristine as a magnum 2+ years ago. Definitely has a smell of early oxidation in addition to the more typical aromas.
- 2005 Domaine de la Pépière (Marc Ollivier) Muscadet de Sèvre-et-Maine Cuvée Eden - France, Loire Valley, Pays Nantais, Muscadet de Sèvre-et-Maine
Magnum. Light yellow. Citric nose with the sea breeze very much in the background. Not surprisingly, much more vibrant than the '96 Louvetrie but still, a richer style of Muscadet with a slightly layered feel that takes it out of the realm of basic cuvees. Excellent as before if not quite as exciting or mineral as the prior magnum.
- 2001 R. López de Heredia Rioja Blanco Reserva Viña Tondonia - Spain, La Rioja, La Rioja Alta, Rioja
Light tulip color. Fascinating blend of citrus and vanilla. Round, average acidity, good minerality. Just the slightest oxidative note, terrific length.
- 2007 Domaine Ponsot Morey St. Denis 1er Cru Clos des Monts Luisants Vieilles Vignes - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Morey St. Denis 1er Cru
Magnum. Light yellow. Some peach on the nose. Lovely, mouthcoating feel without being heavy or dull. Harmonious if lacking just a bit of acidic snap. It was very interesting tasting this after the Lopez de Heredia white, as the 2 shared some aspects of texture and vanilla flavors. I enjoyed this.
- 2002 Ici/La-Bas Pinot Noir Les Révélés Mendocino County - USA, California, North Coast, Mendocino County
Magnum. Medium ruby, slightly cloudy. Ooh, what a sexy, smoky, black cherry nose. Full for Pinot, the fruit persists but has definitely taken on some secondary nuance, and there is an underlying tar component and a sense of soil on the finish. Excellent, complex, well balanced wine that calls to mind the dreaded "B word" while drinking it.
- 1997 Havens Wine Cellars Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley - USA, California, Napa Valley
Magnum. Dark youthful color. Some menthol but also an off smell that people variably thought was brett or TCA. Lots of fruit on the palate, where the taint did not seem as obvious. Obviously, lots of wine here. (FLAWED)
- 2005 Noël Verset Cornas - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Cornas
Fairly deep color. Blackberry jam, herbs and licorice add up to a dynamite, perfumed nose. Lean with fruit as described and animal tones with brisk acidity and a healthy dose of tannin. No shrinking violet this nor gilded with gobs of fruit or alcohol, it really packs a rustic punch that would be completely foreign to palates raised on New World Syrah.