About this site
Links to other sites
Bill's Monthly Lunch - December 2012
| (134 page views)|
- 2005 Château Tour de Mirambeau - France, Bordeaux, Entre-Deux-Mers
Medium straw colour. Nose of oxidized apples and canned pear juice with hints of orange zest and soft lemon. Has some weight to it on the palate with a slightly waxy mouthfeel and decent acidity. Some heat/warmth on the austere finish. Good. (87 pts.)
- 1998 Tenute Cisa Asinari dei Marchesi di Grésy Villa Martis - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Langhe DOC
Mature nose but over the hill on the palate. Dried out, dried leaves. Nose has some tar. Lots of acid. I had this a few years ago and it seems like it had a promising future. Not sure what to make of this. Judgement reserved.
- 1995 E. Guigal Côte-Rôtie La Mouline - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Côte-Rôtie
This was an interesting showing. Very, I mean VERY poopy/barnyard at first, and even though it did clean up after a bit, this never really showed much. It kept changing on the palate and nose but not to anything great. I’m not sure if this was a sound bottle or not (auction purchase). Disappointing. Judgement reserved.
- 2000 Domaine du Pégaü Châteauneuf-du-Pape Cuvée Réservée - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape
This was very nice. Excellent nose with notes of Rhone funk, garrigue, pepper and maturing red fruits. In the mouth there’s good acidity, little tannin and a bit of stewed fruits on the finish. This is drinking well and should hold for several years but I don’t see this improving. Excellent. (90 pts.)
- 2001 Domaine Jasmin Côte-Rôtie - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Côte-Rôtie
Dark colour. Nose offers dark and somewhat sweeter red fruits and black pepper with hints of meat and oak. It’s more polished on the nose than I would have expected but the palate does show some signs of rusticity. Concentrated but fresh with meaty flavours accompanied by dark fruit, minerality and hints of creamy oak. Powdery tannins and nice acidity. Overall, this showed a little too much oak for my liking, but I think with a few more years in the cellar the oak should integrate leaving more CR typicity to come to the forefront. Excellent. 90+ (90 pts.)
- 2004 Cantine Antonio Caggiano Taurasi Macchia dei Goti - Italy, Campania, Taurasi DOCG
I really liked this but for some reason didn’t have much written down for it. Nice nose with sweet dark fruits, good acidity and drinking well. Very good. (89 pts.)
- 1998 Fox Creek Shiraz Reserve - Australia, South Australia, Fleurieu, McLaren Vale
New world sweet nose, very dark with roasted and ripe fruits. The roasted and ripe character carries onto the palate. A good cheese wine. Others who like this style really enjoyed this but it’s not for me. Too sweet, too ripe, too roasted.
- 1977 Sandeman Porto Vintage - Portugal, Douro, Porto
This wasn’t a big Port and wasn’t super sweet either. Medium sweetness and body with maturing flavours and a nice nose as well. A little bit of heat on the palate. Smooth and drinking well. Very good. (89 pts.)