About this site
Links to other sites
Saturday Tasting Group
| (158 page views)|
| 12/29/2012 (Knightsbridge Wine Shop (Northbrook, IL))|
- 2000 Melville Pinot Noir Estate - USA, California, Central Coast, Sta. Rita Hills
Pungent and funky. Little bramble nuance with round berries, anise, and damp earth.
Very fresh and clean granite and ocean breeze. Opulent with some sexy spicy qualities. Truffles.
Hot and racy. Still lots of life. (91 pts.)
- 2005 Henri Bonneau Châteauneuf-du-Pape Réserve des Célestins - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape
Dense exotic bouquet. Anise, black pepper, plum compote, stewed tobacco and black rocks.
Bold, robust and savory. Excellent weight and still so young. This will evolve well over the next decade. (93 pts.)
- 1993 Philip Togni Cabernet Sauvignon - USA, California, Napa Valley, Spring Mountain District
This was hitting on all cylinders for me. Exactly what I'd expect a wine of this caliber.
Cloudy ruby color. Tinting brick at the rim especially.
Pretty bright cherries, tomato. Palate is soft and still showing nice resolved tannins.
Subtle and feminine caressing and balanced. Some green herbs and olive on the finish as well. Really nice. Drink now. (93 pts.)
- 1989 Giacomo Borgogno & Figli Barolo Riserva - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo
Browning in color. Touches of caramel and roast nuts. Dirty dust trail. Rusty nails and soft subtle herbs and fruit.
Palate is fading. Drink now. (90 pts.)
- 2006 E. Guigal Côte-Rôtie La Turque - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Côte-Rôtie
Wine of the day for most everyone I believe.
Super pungent funky earth aromas. Peppery, truffles, saturated fruit. Pretty flowers and sweet baking spices. Pretty nose all day long.
Fantastically young palate with vibrancy and gorgeous luxurious plums, black cherries, charcoal and bacon fat. Fantastic. Thank you Kevin. (95 pts.)
- 2001 Domaine Pierre Usseglio & Fils Châteauneuf-du-Pape Cuvée de mon Aïeul - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape
Light bricking color.
Cloudy and some buttery campfire. Caramel and camphor with purples flowers.
Green pepper, a bit stemmy. A little stewey sweet. (90 pts.)
- 2002 Frédéric Magnien Chambertin-Clos de Bèze - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Chambertin-Clos de Bèze Grand Cru
Light cranberry color. Subtle nose. Beautiful soft and supple rose petals with pronounced earth and white truffle. Sulfur and peppery on the palate. Really young and fragrant. So nice. (93 pts.)
- 2009 Sans Liege The Offering - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Barbara County
Plump fruity and ripe. Opulent and earthy with a touch of black olive tapenade.
Peppery and extremely candied. A bit too much but still decently balanced. (91 pts.)
- 2008 Louis Jadot Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru Clos St. Jacques - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru
Light strawberry, cotton candy. Light smoke. Minty and fresh moss. Pretty.
Palate a bit muted. Nice and young. Maybe in a dormant stage. (90 pts.)
- 2004 Château Pichon-Longueville Baron - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Pauillac
Leather, earthy. Raspberry. Dark, rustic.
Olive, blackberries, chocolate. Great weight with a touch of sweetness in the tannins. (91 pts.)
- 2006 Switchback Ridge Cabernet Sauvignon Peterson Family Vineyard - USA, California, Napa Valley
Purply plummy, ripe and sweet, juicy and fun. Jammy with some licorice, mint. A big wine with richness and density. Maybe a tad much for now. Let this settle. (90 pts.)