For the past several years Wildman and Knightsbridge have hosted a dinner with some of the sensational producers Wildman distributes in Chicago. Before dinner they provide the "leftovers" from the afternoon trade tasting, so I had this wonderful opportunity to sample and get my first real read on some 2011s. Alas I didn't have the time to taste through the entire wonderful lineup of wines on the counter.
- 2011 Domaine Christian Moreau Père et Fils Chablis Grand Cru Vaudésir - France, Burgundy, Chablis, Chablis Grand Cru
Tasting. Sensational aromatic start with white summer flowers, lemon peel, orange peel and ripe apple with subtle spice hints. Apple on palate with some meyer lemon and faint tropical hints. Very lush, long and enticing. A notch above the Clos for me tonight.
- 2011 Domaine Christian Moreau Père et Fils Chablis Grand Cru Les Clos - France, Burgundy, Chablis, Chablis Grand Cru
Tasting. Ripe orchard fruit with some tropical hints, good spice with floral hints. Ripe apple and pear flavors, larger scaled than the Vaudesir but slightly less nuanced for me tonight.
- 2011 Domaine Jacques Prieur Meursault Clos de Mazeray - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Meursault
Tasting. Floral start with good perfume and some alluring tropical fruit. Palate is mostly apple and lemon, good overall with nice balance, moderate length and intensity.
- 2011 Domaine Jacques Prieur Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru Les Combettes - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru
Tasting. Apple and pear aromas with good spice notes. Similar on palate with slightly more robust spice. Very good.
- 2011 Domaine Armand Rousseau Père et Fils Gevrey-Chambertin - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Gevrey-Chambertin
Tasting. Ripe red and black cherry aromas, slightly backward. Similar on palate with background meaty character, very well textured, very well balanced for its level and youth. 89-90 point potential for me tonight.
- 2011 Domaine Armand Rousseau Père et Fils Charmes-Chambertin - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Charmes-Chambertin Grand Cru
Tasting. Classically Gevrey aromas with game, black cherry and espresso. Similar on palate, very dense, meaty and long. Very good and easy to enjoy and of the three Rousseau 2011s I had the opportunity to taste tonight, this was a slight step up over the Gevrey Villages but not as exciting as the Clos de la Roche.
- 2011 Domaine Armand Rousseau Père et Fils Clos de la Roche - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Clos de la Roche Grand Cru
Tasting. Red and black cherry aromas with some licorice and rosemary. Slightly more black fruit on palate with a woodsy, powerful character particularly from middle to end with noteworthy minerality and acidity. Cyrielle Rousseau described her family's CdlR as a handsome gentleman, which certainly cam through tonight in the 2011.
- 2011 Domaine Labruyere Moulin-à-Vent Le Clos - France, Burgundy, Beaujolais, Moulin-à-Vent
Tasting, brief note. Ripe black and red cherry on both nose and palate. Fresh and accessible but with a good weight and intensity in middle to finish. Very good.
- 2011 Domaine Jacques Prieur Clos Vougeot - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Clos Vougeot Grand Cru
Tasting. I found this very challenging to assess today. Black cherry aromas and flavors with modest spice and a very woodsy character on both nose and palate. Dense and chewy with firm tannins throughout, slightly drying right now on finish. This will need plenty of cellar time.
- 2011 Domaine Jacques Prieur Beaune 1er Cru Grèves - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Beaune 1er Cru
Tasting. Red and black cherry aromas with a backward character. Dense, chewy and slightly rustic with firm tannins vs others tasted tonight. This will need cellar time.
- 2011 Faiveley Mercurey 1er Cru Clos des Myglands - France, Burgundy, Côte Chalonnaise, Mercurey 1er Cru
Tasting. Fresh red cherry framed with a bit of oak spice. Similar flavors with firm tannins and slightly pronounced acidity giving it a rugged character. Moderate length. Needs 5+ years in the cellar.
- 2011 Faiveley Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru Clos des Issarts - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru
Tasting. Red cherry aromas, moderately ripe, with anise and black pepper. Similar on palate, moderate fruit, very precise and long with good energy at finish.
- 2011 Faiveley Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru Les Cazetiers - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru
Tasting. Nicely floral start with some oak, red and black cherry and some slight animale hints. Palate is more red fruit, good balance, forward and very accessible but also showing good minerality and textures, even if just moderate intensity. Faiveley's Cazetiers has always been one my favorites in their lineup, but this wine has really stepped up in quality in the past 4-5 years. 92-93 point potential for me tonight.
- 2011 Faiveley Mazis-Chambertin - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Mazis-Chambertin Grand Cru
Tasting. Blackberry aromas with woodsy spice and intensity. Similar fruit on palate, just a hint more spice. Good power, length and concentration, also well textured. 92-94 points.
- 2011 Faiveley Corton-Clos des Cortons Faiveley - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Corton Grand Cru
Tasting. Red cherry and boysenberry aromas, slightly floral and surprisingly charming for such a young Corton. Slightly more black fruit driven on palate, firm and more classically Corton. Very long and balanced, this is another successful vintage for Corton des Corton. 92-93 point potential for me tonight.