Blind Cab Tasting

Tasted Saturday, March 20, 2010 by last chance with 325 views

Introduction

Since we are getting close to warmer weather, our host gathered the group together to have roast beast and a big Cab tasting since we always tend to eat and drink a little bit lighter during the summers.

Flight 1 - The starters (2 Notes)

We shared a mag of a Grower Champagne and a bottle of an 07 Cali Cab that was just off the truck. Not a bad way to get started.

Flight 2 - The Cabs and a ringer (7 Notes)

Big Cabs throughout the tasting. A pretty nice lineup considering the theme of all Cab was only determined 2 days before the event. Of course, the ringer was there to see if everyone was paying attention, but Carlisle is a great ringer!

• 2000 Philip Togni Cabernet Sauvignon 92 Points

USA, California, Napa Valley, Spring Mountain District

Tasted blind. That bell pepper nose was been a pretty good sign that this was a Togni. Togni Bell Pepper is a good thing! I don't usually care for a strong green bell pepper up front in a Cabernet, but when it's a Togni, this style is really a nice change of pace. I don't drink a lot of old school styled Napa Cabs, but somehow Togni is able to make green flavors taste like they are not "un-ripe green flavors" to me. I didn't notice any brett in this wine like I had from a magnum that we tasted last year. Medium bodied with a medium-long finish. Really nice stuff.

• 2002 Blankiet Estate Cabernet Sauvignon Paradise Hills Vineyard 84 Points

USA, California, Napa Valley

Tasted blind. This was the first time that I had tasted the 02 Blankiet. I had enjoyed other vintages, but the 02 was a major disappointment. There was a lot of brett in this wine, and I was surprised that it was there. This did come across as more of a Bordeaux type wine, with some cedar, tobacco, and leather flavors accompanying the currants. Not at all what I expected from a wine made by Helen Turley. This wine probably benefited by being in the lineup behind the Togni. At any other slot in the tasting, and it would have been way out of place and would have probably scored even lower...

• 2005 Seven Stones Cabernet Sauvignon 93 Points

USA, California, Napa Valley, St. Helena

Tasted blind. The palate had nice mocha and dark cherry flavors. For some reason while tasting this blind, I was reminded of the 02 Cayuse Windowmaker that I just loved. I'll at least embrace the fact that I was WAY wrong on that guess... I enjoyed this wine even if I was way wrong about it.

• 2005 DeLille Cellars Cabernet Sauvignon Grand Ciel 92 Points

USA, Washington, Columbia Valley, Red Mountain

Tasted blind. I don't think that any of us guessed that the Grand Ciel was from Washington until the clues started coming out. This one took a lot of guesses. I remember that we all noticed the new oak influence, but I didn't think it was overdone at all. I also thought that the fruit flavors were much darker than most Red Mountain wines. More on the side of blackberry/cassis than blueberry/violet... Guess that's why we were all stumped on the WA part - or at least I was for sure... This wasn't very complex, but it had a smooth mouthfeel and a medium-long finish.

Post a Comment / Do you find this review helpful? Yes - No / Report Issue

• 2006 Schrader Cellars Cabernet Sauvignon CCS Beckstoffer To-Kalon Vineyard 100 Points

USA, California, Napa Valley, Oakville

Tasted blind. Wow - This was incredible! I don't remember spending much time with this in the glass without knowing it was Schrader, but i don't remember who called it. I loved the milk chocolate/cola note that was there. Just amazing purity of the fruit shining through as well, and great balance as well. Really amazing wine!

• 2003 Hundred Acre Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon Kayli Morgan 94 Points

USA, California, Napa Valley

Tasted blind. This followed the 06 Schrader CCS - Tough act to follow for any wine. I can't help but think that it may have shown better if it wasn't right after the Schrader. The Kayli Morgan showed a dark chocolate note that was quite different from the milk chocolate note in the Schrader. That took a while to get used to... This wine had nice dark fruit flavors with the dark chocolate gaining in intensity through the long finish.

• 2006 Carlisle Syrah Dry Creek Valley 93 Points

USA, California, Sonoma County, Dry Creek Valley

Tasted blind. This was inserted into a blind Cab tasting - it was late in the lineup and was there just to make sure everyone was paying attention... It took a few clues to guess Carlisle though. These are always fun. Great blackberry and cassis flavors with some smoky BBQ like notes. Very smooth mouthfeel and a long finish.

Post a Comment / Do you find this review helpful? Yes - No / Report Issue

Flight 3 - The closers (1 Note)

There was also a 2002 Dolce that was opened, but I didn't get to taste any of that bottle because I got busy at the end of the event.

• 2005 Sine Qua Non Chardonnay Mr. K The Noble Man 98 Points

USA, California, Central Coast, Edna Valley

This was a really wonderful end to a great Cab tasting. Great honeyed apricot and mango flavors with a very thick and rich mouthfeel and a super long finish. These SQN stickies are just incredible wines and really fill a room up with smiles.

Closing

This was a really fun evening with quite a few pleasant surprises. Everyone had a great time. I'm sure some of us will keep drinking Cab all summer long, but after an evening like this, it sure makes you want to have another Cab event soon!