Helga's 7th Annual CDP Tasting (2008 Vintage CDPs Semi-Blind)

Atlanta, GA
Tasted Thursday, February 24, 2011 by CWilliam with 464 views

Introduction

We tasted through the 2008 vintage CDPs two at at time blind. We revealed the two wines after the two were tasted. I've grouped the wines into three flights given the 1st two wines were from the '07 and '09 vintage and the 1st 4 '08s were outclassed by the last 6 wines. The top 3 wines for the group were the Clos des Papes (7/14), the Beaucastel (4/14) and the Domaine Pegau 'Cuvee Reservee' (3/14) I was suprised at the quality of these wines given the negative press - had I not attended the tasting I probably wound not have purchased any of these wines. My favorite two wines were the Pegau and the Beaucastel. I also enjoyed the Usseglio and it was voted the group's top value.

Flight 1 - '07 CDP and '09 CDP Blanc Starters (2 Notes)

Flight 2 - 1st Full CDP Grouping (4 Notes)

These wines were enjoyable but I would not purchase given average QPR.

Flight 3 - 2nd CDP Grouping (6 Notes)

All of these wines were enjoyable and I would purchase any one of them.

• 2008 Domaine du Vieux Télégraphe Châteauneuf-du-Pape La Crau 92 Points

France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape

Very nice. Glycerine / raspberry / raspberry liqueur. Medium+ body / palate similar to nose + licorice / long fiinsh - big step up from 1st 4 wines. I would buy this wine.

• 2008 Domaine Pierre Usseglio & Fils Châteauneuf-du-Pape 91 Points

France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape

Black raspberry / black cherry / some glycerine & touch of dirt on nose. Palate similar with touch of spice, medium body/acids - medium plus finish. For our group, this was selected as the best value of the evening.

• 2008 Château de Beaucastel Châteauneuf-du-Pape 92 Points

France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape

Beautiful nose - rasberry / black cherry / floral. Full bodied with great minerality (iron), pepper, great balance, high acidity & long finish - for me, this tied with the Pegau "Cuvee Reservee" as my WOTN. Good tannic structure as well. 92+

• 2008 Clos des Papes Châteauneuf-du-Pape 92 Points

France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape

Black fruit / earthy / spicy on nose (very nice). On palate, black cherry/ dried cranberry / black pepper/ heavy tannins (integrated but they are stout) leading to medium + finish. I preferred the Peagau and the Beaucastel to this but I would put this #3 in the tasting. This was the groups WOTN (7 votes out of 14).

• 2008 Domaine du Pégaü Châteauneuf-du-Pape Cuvée Réservée 92 Points

France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape

Leather / black raspberry/ black cherry / garrigue / meat (palate consistent with nose). Medium+ body / great balance / long finish - old world style CDP and I loved it. I bought six bottles of this wine. Good value & quality in a supposedly poor vintage. This got 3 votes (including mine) out of 14 for WOTN. 92++

• 2008 Cuvée du Vatican Châteauneuf-du-Pape Réserve Sixtine 91 Points

France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape

Nose was rather muted at this stage but it was very nice on the palate (the nose smelled like a CDR). Poor notes on this one but I wrote down a rating in the 91-92 range. It was an enjoyable wine that should come together with time. It was a step down from the wines in it's flights but noticeably better than the 1st 4 CDPs of the tasting.

Closing

Special thanks to Helga, Carly & Sylvia for letting us join the tasting as well as well as our tasting hosts.