Dan Kravitz and Hand Picked Selections

Hinton's Wine Store, Atlanta, GA
Tasted Thursday, April 14, 2011 by Mindmuse with 405 views

Introduction

Walk around station portfolio tasting with Dan Kravitz and his Hand Picked Selections.
I liked everything I tasted, and that was 14 bottles. The one thing I would say is that every wine seemed to have a great mouthfeel - lovely suppleness regardless of what was in the wine. Usually minerally, rocky substrate, but never leaden or dead.

I will put Hand Picked Selections in my category of importers, who, if I am contemplating buying a bottle with no other particular knowledge, and I see it is from HPS I will consider that reason enough to go with it. I'd also comment that these wines seemed to be very friendly priced.

Flight 1 - 3 Unusual Whites (3 Notes)

Flight 2 - RM Champagne (1 Note)

DK preferred we do the Champage after the still whites.
Me, I did it after the whites and came back to it after the reds too! Yum.

• NV Jean Laurent Champagne Blanc de Blancs Brut 92 Points

France, Champagne

April 2010 disgorgement, which Dan Kravitz indicated would be a 2004, 2005, and 2006 vintages blend.
    Relaxed citrus infused biscuit. Long, lovely leesy and foamy on the palate. Some smoky almond tones and mineral wash. Nicely piquant finish. Excellent! 91-92

Post a Comment / Do you find this review helpful? Yes - No / Report Issue

Flight 3 - Rosés from three regions (3 Notes)

Flight 4 - A Pinot and three triple grape red blends (4 Notes)

Flight 5 - Big Reds (3 Notes)

• 2009 Villa des Anges Cabernet Sauvignon Vin de Pays d'Oc 86 Points

France, Languedoc Roussillon, Vin de Pays d'Oc

No real notes on this, though it had lots of large flakes of sediment. Seemed good for the price.

• 2005 Château Haut Beyzac 88 Points

France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Haut-Médoc

55% Cabernet Sauvignon, 35% Merlot, 10% Petit Verdot.
    I got the last half ounce from one bottle, which was quite good, classic claret - cassis, maybe some espresso, graphite. Got an early pour from a fresh second bottle, which was very tight, and people weren't feeling a lot of love from it (No decanter available.). So I'd advise planning for at least a bit of aeration and you should be fine. 88?+?

• 2008 Domaine du Pégaü Châteauneuf-du-Pape Cuvée Réservée 93 Points

France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape

85% Grenache, 9% Syrah, and 4% Mourvedre, with other authorized varietals including Counoise, Cinsault, and Vaccarèse.
    Kirsch, fennel, herbs, raspberry, Asian spices,smoke/incense, oiled leather. A beauty, finely supple, with great balance and finish.