San Diego Offline 9/16/2011

San Diego
Tasted Friday, September 16, 2011 by Javachip with 305 views

Introduction

Many thanks to Mr. & Mrs. SD-Wineaux, our always-gracious-and-generous hosts, for another wonderful evening. Wines are listed in the order I tasted them. Point ratings are my own; rankings are by group vote.

Flight 1 (8 Notes)

• NV Ulysse Collin Champagne Extra Brut Blanc de Blancs 90 Points

France, Champagne

Very nice apple, pear, yeasty baguette. Straightforward, highly enjoyable. Haven't seen "extra brut" before.

• 2004 Il Poggione (Proprietá Franceschi) Brunello di Montalcino 88 Points

Italy, Tuscany, Montalcino, Brunello di Montalcino

Clear medium garnet-ruby. Subdued notes of earth, black cherry, dried bay leaf and thyme, with a bitter finish. We all agreed this will probably improve with more age.

• 1991 Mayacamas Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon 94 Points

USA, California, Napa Valley, Mt. Veeder

Faintly hazy blood-ruby-brick red. Outstanding bouquet of fresh cherries, red currants, lavender, cedar, leather. Elegant, seamless, rich and luxurious on the palate. Even better after 2 hours in the decanter. My #2 for the night.

• 1993 E. Guigal Côte-Rôtie La Landonne 87 Points

France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Côte-Rôtie

Tasted and scored blind. Clear medium ruby-garnet. Meaty, tomatoes, green tobacco, plum, oak. Whine-Oh correctly guessed "Old World Syrah."

• 1997 Joseph Phelps Insignia 92 Points

USA, California, Napa Valley

I purchased three bottles on release, and opened the first one tonight. Opened at 3 PM, allowed to breathe in bottle until 5 PM, then decanted, then poured into a second decanter in a frantic effort to get rid of some unpleasant meaty shoe polish odors, then poured back into the rinsed bottle at 5:30 PM. Tasting began at 7 PM. Clear inky dark oxblood color. The triple decanting successfully eliminated the unpleasant odors. At 7 PM the bouquet showed plum liqueur, cherries, fennel, red licorice, roasted almonds. Similar on the palate, full-bodied, but with a faintly bitter herbal edge and a faintly stewed quality making me wonder about heat damage at some point in the past. Everyone else liked it very much. My #4, but group's #1 for the evening.

• 2000 Ferraton Père & Fils Hermitage Les Miaux 95 Points

France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Hermitage

Clear medium ruby-garnet. Bright fresh nose of red berries, bacon fat, light smoke. Loved the purity and freshness. My #1; group's #2 for the evening.

• 1996 Dunn Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon Howell Mountain 94 Points

USA, California, Napa Valley, Howell Mountain

Dark, inky garnet-blood-black. Powerful bouquet of dark cherries, creme de cassis, earth, bittersweet cocoa, touch of cloves. Full-bodied, rich, powerful but smooth on the palate. This wine is still youthful, with years of improvement ahead of it. It needed more than the 30 minute decant we gave it. My #3 and group's #3 for the evening.

• 1984 Chateau Montelena Cabernet Sauvignon The Montelena Estate 94 Points

USA, California, Napa Valley

Popped and briefly decanted at the end of the evening. Needs a proper 30 minute decant at minimum. Clear dark blood-garnet. Wonderful bouquet of mint, cherries, red currants, oak and leather. Stately, rich and regal on the palate. We opened this after voting on the other wines, so this was not ranked by the group, but easily would have made the top three for the night.

Closing

Our palates were in good agreement tonight -- the top three wines got many more votes than the other wines. Hmm, nine bottles of wine for seven people -- will we ever learn any moderation? I keep vowing to limit my intake, and SD-Wineaux keeps sabotaging me by opening another excellent bottle late in the evening when my defenses are down. Cheers everyone!