Home of Steve T.
Tasted Saturday, December 3, 2011 by Nutty08 with 448 views
Another fantastic tasting and the best Cali cab based tasting we’ve ever put together. Most of the wine's were double blind, which was quite humbling. The hospitality of Steve and karen T. Can't be overstated. Ever after hosting multiple times, broken glass and bottles and all, they continue to offer their home to us. Hopefully I can repay the favor one day when I'm not living in a 850sq ft apt....
A truly remarkable evening and a stunning lineup of wines showing the generosity of this group. Blind tastings are truly humbling and a few things to note:
1) Did I score a Texas wine and a Latour within a point? Yep. The '95 latour was quite disappointing (shut down and austere) and way behind the sensational '96
2) Monte Bello is awesome and maybe my favorite Cali Cab blend
3) Many of the overly ripe Cali cabs didn't show well when aged
4) Cali Mountain fruit creates some tannic monsters that need considerable time, and are about as unpleasant to drink young as Bdx (Continuum, Arkenstone, Constant). Future is bright for these, however.
5) I have trouble drinking overly ripe wines without strong acidity (Personal opinion)
6) I'm going to miss this group when I leave San Antonio as I think their generosity and enthusiasm for wine is unmatched anywhere.
7) As a Bdx drinker, missing a first growth in a lineup of Cali cabs is rather embarrassing. The flavor profile might be similar but the texture and character of the tannins is not. I was asking myself, "why is this so tannic? Seems like a '95, but sooo tannic". Oh well...need to drink more I guess.