Filling in w/the Sunday Brown Bag Group

Rich's & Dana's
Tasted Sunday, April 15, 2012 by AllRed with 367 views

Introduction

R&D hosted their Sunday group and had a couple of extra spots and invited Domino and I to attend. This is the most unqiue of the tasting groups we participate in due to the format. The hosts provide all of the blind wines, and the tasters chip in to cover the cost. After some warm up whites, we pour all blind reds and taste/evaluate in one flight trying to determine what it is that we are drinking. Tasters rank the wines from 1 to 8, and then the votes are tallied, and unveiled from last place (highest points) to first (lowest points). After the wines are unveiled, we enjoyed dinner and a few more nonblind wines.

Flight 1 - I. Warm up whites (2 Notes)

Tasted double blind.

Flight 2 - II. Main event (8 Notes)

Served double blind, shown in the order presented. Our host decanted these only briefly off their sediment, then rebottled and recorked them. The wines had been opened roughly three and a half hours before we began pouring. It was fairly obvious from the start that we were drinking Bordeaux, so our discussions turned towards communes and vintages. Pauillac came up quite a bit, as did St. Julien, St. Emilion and Pessac. I thought we had a mix, and I settled on 2000. Much of the discussion on vintage centered on 2000, 2001 and 2003.

• 2004 Château Lynch-Bages 92 Points

France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Pauillac

Garnet color, showing just a little age at the meniscus. Aromas of red currants, plums and green tobacco. Medium tannins, with red fruit, plum and cherry flavors. Finish dominated by red fruit tones. 92-93 pts.

My #3
    Group #7, 57 pts

• 2004 Château Faugères 90 Points

France, Bordeaux, Libournais, St. Émilion Grand Cru

Deep garnet core, but showing just a little age with an orangish meniscus. Predominant aromas ae vanilla and black fruits. Noticed an odd plastic-like aroma with air, but the fruit came back around. Firm tannin, with red fruit and anise flavors and a long balanced finish.

My #6
    Group #4, 46 pts

• 2004 Château Duhart-Milon 93 Points

France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Pauillac

Deep crimson/garnet color with hints of age at the edge. Terrific bouquet featuring red currants, iron, saddle leather and even hnts of tar- smells like a Graves to me. Medium- to full-bodied with some tannin to integrate. Flavors of red fruit- currants and cherry, as well as iodine and roasted herbs. Long finish. 93-94 pts.

My #1
    Group #1, 34 pts

• 2004 Clos Fourtet 92 Points

France, Bordeaux, Libournais, St. Émilion Grand Cru

Crimson color. Aromas of cherry, red currants, vanilla and plum. Hints of beef blood, licorice and florals develop as it opens further in the glass. Medium-bodied with tart acidity and a fairly long finish featuring cherry and red currant qualities.

My #4
    Group #2, 35 pts

• 2004 Château Pichon-Longueville Baron 93 Points

France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Pauillac

Deep crimson color. Aromas of vanilla, lavender and black fruits; also a subtle rhubarb-like aromas too. Becomes more perfumed and florally as it opens further, fruits expand into the red. Medium- to full-bodied, with lovely red fruit and plum flavors, black currants. Tannins are a bit more firm than others in the tasting.

My #2
    Group #5, 51 pts

• 2004 Château Pichon Longueville Comtesse de Lalande 91 Points

France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Pauillac

Garnet color, orangish meniscus. Aromas of raw rhubarb, rose petals and dark fruit. Medium-bodied with firm, slightly chalky tannins but loads of red fruit and cherry on the palate. Long finish dominated by red fruit tones.

My #5
    Group #6, 55 pts

• 2004 Château Barde-Haut 88 Points

France, Bordeaux, Libournais, St. Émilion Grand Cru

Crimson color. Notes of red currants, plum, dark fruit and green tobacco, becoming reticent- shuts down in the glass. Firm tannins, firmest thus far actually, with flavors of dark fruit and vanilla. Not sure where this is going. 88-90 pts depending on one's palate preference and where you catch this.

My #8
    Group #8, 76 pts

Post a Comment / 1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes - No / Report Issue

• 2004 Château Fombrauge 88 Points

France, Bordeaux, Libournais, St. Émilion Grand Cru

Deep color. Aromas of dark fruit- plum and black currants- also vanilla, then red fruit and herb notes with time. Full-bodied with firm, drying tannins. Most austere of the group. Dark fruit qualities dominate the palate. 88+ to 90 pts.

My #7
    Group #3, 42 pts

Post a Comment / Do you find this review helpful? Yes - No / Report Issue

Flight 3 - III. Nonblind dinner/dessert wines (10 Notes)

Closing

The results of the main event were a surprise to all of us. No reason the 2004s can't be enjoyed now, especially given the discounts many of the 2004s could be had for. Thanks R&D for letting us fill in for another fun tasting!