Young Pegau Vertical with Warso

Tasted Sunday, September 16, 2012 by mmcdds with 254 views

Introduction

Thought I'd take this opportunity to try out a few fairly young bottles of Pegau.

Flight 1 (2 Notes)

Flight 2 (3 Notes)

• 2006 Domaine du Pégaü Châteauneuf-du-Pape Cuvée Réservée 90 Points

France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape

Double decanted for 3 1/2 hours. The first of the Pegau's of the evening. This one has a fairly closed nose. On the palate, the fruit is dark and brooding, with leather, licorice and garrigue in the forefront and white pepper notes on the finish. The tannins are firm and chalky and abit green. This has nice depth, but today the fruit is a little on the shy and reserved side. Still quite nice and Pegau continues to be one of my favorite classically styled CdP's.

Post a Comment / 1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes - No / Report Issue

• 2007 Domaine du Pégaü Châteauneuf-du-Pape Cuvée Réservée 93 Points

France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape

Double decanted for about 3 1/2 hours. Of the trio of Pegau's, for me, this was the clear winner of the night. Full bodied with rich red fruit. Kirsch, licorice and garrigue in the forefront with earthy notes and undertones of green, brambly, underbrush permeating throughout. White pepper on the med length finish. The tannins were much riper than the 06. For the most part, even though this tasted like it has a long life to live, it seems to be open and ready for business today. I think I'm going to put my 06 Pegau's in the back of the cellar for now and start drinking the 07's.

Post a Comment / Do you find this review helpful? Yes - No / Report Issue

• 2008 Domaine du Pégaü Châteauneuf-du-Pape Cuvée Réservée 87 Points

France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape

Double decanted for 3 1/2 hours. The final Pegau of the evening. All the usual Pegau characteristics were present, but like previous bottles of 08 Pegau, this lacked depth and concentration. This is not a bad bottle of wine, just not up to expectations, but since I was able to get this lot for under $30 a bottle I find it to have quite a good qpr and if I could get more at the same price, I think I would. I think its a very nice, early drinking CdP.