Wine Night 1/11/13

Flight 1 (3 Notes)

• 2003 Clos Saint Jean Châteauneuf-du-Pape La Combe des Fous 94 Points

France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape

Do it.

Ok, editing this the next morning as I was a bottle or two in when I posted that last night :) This TN is from the rebottled leftovers from last night.

Mature deep red color. I get more strawberry off this than I remember, but still cherry, herbs, more licorice/cassis jumps out this glass, some citrus notes.

Still think this is drinking very well now, but can be held for a while.

Post a Comment / Do you find this review helpful? Yes - No / Report Issue

• 2010 Maison Bleue Gravière Upland Vineyard 93 Points

USA, Washington, Columbia Valley, Yakima Valley Snipes Mountain

Decanted yesterday, leftovers rebottled overnight. Note is on the leftovers this morning.

Another young bottle in the lineup tonight, but this is really good. Maison Bleue is one of my new favorites that I first found only 6 months ago or so.

Dark fruit, blackberry, plum, meat, vanilla, herbal notes, bay leaf, thyme?, some peppery notes that remind me of a recent bottle of Gamay Noir, hint of grapefruit? Tannins are a bit too noticeable still, but I think those will integrate and smooth with a bit more time in the bottle.

Give this a good decant now, I'd go 6+ hours at least, or lay it down for a bit longer.

Post a Comment / 3 people found this helpful, do you? Yes - No / Report Issue

• 2010 Les Halos de Jupiter Châteauneuf-du-Pape 89 Points

France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape

Decanted yesterday, rebottled the leftovers overnight. Note is from the next morning.

Quite young, but I think these are made to drink a bit on the younger side. Strawberry, crushed rock/minerality, a spicy note, cream, not well delineated to me though, and not very complex when you get into it.

Pretty good bottle of wine though. Drink now with a couple hour decant, or some more time in the cellar.

Post a Comment / Do you find this review helpful? Yes - No / Report Issue