Cityzen gathering – no great wines only great bottles

Cityzen, Washington DC
Tasted Thursday, February 7, 2013 by dcwino with 230 views

Introduction

The barolo King, Tom M was in town and six of us got together to drink some Burgundies and Barolis. Although we had only one corked bottle, my 99 Vogue Musigny, we also had a pair of champagnes that definitely underperformed. The 78 Rionda showed beautifully but not a 100 point experience for me. A great reminder that there are no great wines only great bottles. Nevertheless we had some memorable wines, ironically including the 78 Rionda. A minor complain, the sommelier served the 96 Barolis as the last flight which made it difficult to concentrate for me.

Flight 1 - The 96 Krug vs Salon (2 Notes)

• 1996 Krug Champagne Vintage Brut 92 Points

France, Champagne

Slightly more amber than expected and the flavor profile agrees. With the perfect provenance and the last bottle from the batch was definitely livelier. Brioche, honey and cupper. Medium mousse, a hint of oxidative note and a bit short finish. Had a bottle that was flirting with the perfect only a week ago. Still enjoyable.

• 1996 Salon Champagne Blanc de Blancs Brut 93 Points

France, Champagne, Le Mesnil Sur Oger, Champagne

Not a Champagne day when neither the 96 Krug nor Salon are showing well. Clear and precise but something is not quite right. The nose is ever so slightly muted. Some thought closed. Not bad but not a representative bottle.

Post a Comment / Do you find this review helpful? Yes - No / Report Issue

Flight 2 - A mature white Burgundy (1 Note)

Flight 3 - A pair of the 78 Barolis (2 Notes)

Another great showing of the 78 Cavallotto Barolo Riserva Bricco Boschis

• 1978 Cavallotto Barolo Riserva Bricco Boschis 96 Points

Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo

No great wines, only great bottles but my impression is identical to the last bottle drank two years ago. This is a very youthful wine also the fruit expression is very clean. Lots of red fruits, kirsch, tar and earth. Perhaps the identical profile as the last bottle but my rating is a couple points higher. Is this bottle better? Not so sure but 96 pts drinking experience. Impressive and extremely enjoyable.

• 1978 Roagna Barbaresco Crichet Pajé 85 Points

Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barbaresco

Another example of no great wines as a bottle drank a year ago was very nice. This has a very strong sweaty sox nose. Once that blew off, void of fruits, only earth and iron. A bit off based on the last bottle.

Post a Comment / Do you find this review helpful? Yes - No / Report Issue

Flight 4 - Red burgs (4 Notes)

Both the 93 Leroy and the Arnoux were great. The 93 Lafarge suffered in comparison. The Vogue was terribly corked. Ces't la vie!

Flight 5 - 78 Giacosa Rionda (1 Note)

• 1978 Bruno Giacosa Barolo Riserva Speciale Collina Rionda 96 Points

Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo

I am definitely a label whore and I was hoping that I would rate this 100 or at least 99. I had a monumental bottle from the same source in 2008 that I rated 99+. Although this was an exceptional wine, it wasn’t quite like the other bottle. Dry cherries, soy, balsamico, iron, rose, tar and earth. The palate is not as energetic, soft, sweet fruits and still a hint of dry tannins. Was it the balsamico based sauce? Not sure. This is an exceptional wine but I ever so slightly preferred the 93 Arnoux RSV as my WOTN. No perfect wines, only perfect bottles. I am not a Barolo expert but my guess is that your chance of having a perfect bottle of the 78 Rionda riserva is 50/50.

Post a Comment / Do you find this review helpful? Yes - No / Report Issue

Flight 6 - Younger barolis, relatively speaking of course (3 Notes)

Although I thought these wines were exceptional, I was still trying to love the 78 Rionda more which was not fair to the wines. There was also a Keller TBA which was wonderful.

Closing

It is always fun to share the wines with the Baltimoreans and the great time was had by all.