OC Kosta Browne Pay It Forward Offline

Sage in Newport Beach, CA
Tasted Sunday, February 4, 2007 by Frank Murray III with 629 views

Introduction

Held for the OC/LA gang, using the pay it forward philosophy. Also had some surprise new releases provided by KB. Big ass thanks to the 2 RJS (Ryan Johnson and Rick Joyer) for organizing such a wonderful meal and gathering for all of us. Big props, men!

Flight 1 - 2004 Kongsgaard Chardonnay (1 Note)

Flight 2 - The Roses (2 Notes)

This flight included the not yet released 2006, which I found (as did a few other I overheard talking) shows a difference in style to the 2005.

• 2005 Kosta Browne Pinot Noir Rosé

USA, California, Sonoma County, Russian River Valley

Strawberry, silky with an creamy orange, juicy like acidity. Has more weight than I typically expect from a Rose.

• 2006 Kosta Browne Pinot Noir Rosé

USA, California, Sonoma County, Russian River Valley

Had to add this bugger to CT--pretty cool to be first in on it. Lighter in color than the 2005, with a tighter, more earthier and spicier feel. Either a style change from the 2005 or the wine is still settling in bottle but much more restrained and lasered in.

Post a Comment / Do you find this review helpful? Yes - No / Report Issue

Flight 3 - The Cohn Vineyard (3 Notes)

Bummer, no 2002 to try but nice to have these stacked up on top of each other at the same time.

• 2001 Kosta Browne Pinot Noir Cohn

USA, California, Sonoma County, Russian River Valley

Having not tasted any of the 2001s previous to our event last night, was eager to try. I did not care for this wine. For one, it showed brett to me, tasted a little hot and sweet. Either a flawed bottle or just not my cup of tea but after two tastes, I dumped it out.

• 2003 Kosta Browne Pinot Noir Cohn

USA, California, Sonoma County, Russian River Valley

Ahh, much better than the 2001. On the nose, a faint hint of dill. Tasting card said french oak but I swear I smelled this note. Cola, fennel, and black fruited. Finish still shows its youth. Great acidity and focus.

• 2004 Kosta Browne Pinot Noir Cohn

USA, California, Sonoma County, Russian River Valley

Oh, the flamboyance of the 2004 vintage. The bouquet on this wine flies forth from the glass. Xmas cake, ripe fruit. Lots of sex. Palate wise, ripe cola, dark raspberry richness and a finish of some mocha. Pretty good, with the signature throttle of the vintage.

Post a Comment / Do you find this review helpful? Yes - No / Report Issue

Flight 4 - RRV and Sonoma Coast (5 Notes)

These RRVs really sing for me, between the aromatics and the great palate intensity. The SCs seem more earth and structure driven when laid next to the RRV.

• 2002 Kosta Browne Pinot Noir Sonoma Coast

USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast

Showed a lot like what I found when we had KB down last summer: shows the brett that I don't care for. Nice cherry, acidity and citrus but with the bretty feel, not caring much for. Has pretty good weight and feel, though.

• 2003 Kosta Browne Pinot Noir Sonoma Coast

USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast

Strawberry, mushroom, acidity with structure, minerality and some earth.

• 2004 Kosta Browne Pinot Noir Sonoma Coast

USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast

My impression of this wine.......not sure it has knitted together yet or maybe did not enjoy a good decant. Was fleshy, cedary, with plum, blacker raspberry zip, much more so than the 2003. I have several of these in my own cellar so will retry in a few months to see if my impression here is valid. In sum, I like what's here but for me not come together enough yet to show.

• 2003 Kosta Browne Pinot Noir Russian River Valley

USA, California, Sonoma County, Russian River Valley

As good as I remember all the previous bottles of this I have been graced to enjoy. Dark fruit, brown spice notes, red apple, slight mocha. Just a terrific bottle of wine and one that any pinot drinker needs to try to get a sense of what great RRV pinot is about--balance, aromatics, acidity, transparent alcohol and wood. Thank god I have one left in the cellar.

• 2004 Kosta Browne Pinot Noir Russian River Valley

USA, California, Sonoma County, Russian River Valley

Another bottle of sexy aromatics. Like smelling a pastry bakery at the holidays...'bout knocked me over when it was poured. Velvety, more spicier than the 2003 RRV, with plum, cinnamon, cola, and nice lift of acidity. Probably will be as good as the 2003 in time but will show more punch and weight due to vintage signature.

Post a Comment / Do you find this review helpful? Yes - No / Report Issue

Flight 5 - Koplen, Kanzler and Amber Ridge (3 Notes)

• 2003 Kosta Browne Pinot Noir Koplen Vineyard

USA, California, Sonoma County, Russian River Valley

Oh my god. Probably similar "aha" experience that I had about three months ago when I tried a line-up of high-end petite sirahs, i.e. the 2002 Pride. This 2003 KB Koplen was my WOTN, hands down. The nose is full of sexy, perfumey deep dark fruit. My TN says "dark as hell", with an underline. Cola, dark plum, plum compote, cherry and still shows some structure. Next to the 2004 Koplen I had last year at our KB OL, this 2003 is the best KB I have ever drank and maybe the best CA pinot noir I have ever been blessed to try. Just a friggin' beauty and work of art.

• 2004 Kosta Browne Pinot Noir Kanzler Vineyard

USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast

Ok, so let's see if this was a 98 point wine. I was eager to try. So, the nose. Not what I expected at all and really nailed quite well by Jeremy Blumberg who was across the table from me. Call it smokey, and an additional aspect I found, kind of a shoe polish element. Showed a fine sense of balance, acidity and rasberry fruit but I was not over-wowed by this wine, and no where near the 2003 Koplen for me in terms of shaking the earth. Will need to try again in six months to see if maybe I didn't let the wine sit with me enough. I'm just trying to keep the wine in context to the hype and acclaim.

• 2004 Kosta Browne Pinot Noir Amber Ridge Vineyard

USA, California, Sonoma County, Russian River Valley

Smells a lot like the 2004 RRV for me, with the hedonistic nose. Plush, soft, with that flamboyance of the vintage but more medium weighted, as oppposed to full throttle. Brown spice and cola. Dig it and more restrained than I would have guessed.

Post a Comment / Do you find this review helpful? Yes - No / Report Issue

Flight 6 - The New KB AVA Pinots: RRV and SC, + The Amber Ridge Syrah (3 Notes)

The SURPRISE flight, gifted by KB. These 2 pinots, both brand news wines, are being released next week and we are told that we are the first people to really taste these publicly from bottle, as they were just bottled up 10 days ago. What an honor--thanks Mike and Dan. The syrah is also coming out , but has been in bottle for some time.

• 2005 Kosta Browne Pinot Noir Russian River Valley

USA, California, Sonoma County, Russian River Valley

What an honor to try this wine now. Another beauty and with the SC, as well, really a show stopper, even just having been bottled just 10 days ago. The nose is full of cola, dark stone fruit, rose petal and just fragrant as hell. The palate is fleshy, dark with a cola, plum, spice cake feel. Much like the 2003 Koplen in style but with a higher level of perecevied acidity. A huge winner for me and a wine I will go deep on.

• 2005 Kosta Browne Pinot Noir Sonoma Coast

USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast

Another wine just bottled within the past 2 weeks. Having tasted the 2002, 2003 and 2004 earlier in the evening, I had some context for perhaps what this wine might show. Indeed, it seemed to express similar characteristics. Had a nose that reminded me of both slate and cedar, that more "of the earth" feel. On the palate, my TN says "cuts a wide path across the mouth", with orange rind, cherry, minerals and a taste/smell of new oak on the finish. Like how I found the 2004, a wine more stuctured and very much akin to some of the other 2005 pinots I have been TN'ing this year. I enjoyed this wine a lot, just liked the 2005 RRV a little more but another easy buy here.

• 2004 Kosta Browne Syrah Amber Ridge Vineyard

USA, California, Sonoma County, Russian River Valley

This wine is still showing tight for me. I recall trying this last summer when KB was down and liking it then but I do think the youth of this wine is still very much showing, as the finish is still for me closed. A nose of crushed rocks and red fruit. The palate is pretty dense, with big char, cherry but even more of a blueberry note, with a finish of chocolate. Suggest further cellaring of this wine or a strong decant.

Post a Comment / Do you find this review helpful? Yes - No / Report Issue

Flight 7 - 1983 Rieussec (1 Note)

2 750s of this were provided by Uncle Jay to finish the night.

• 1983 Château Rieussec

France, Bordeaux, Sauternais, Sauternes

Beautiful color of amber yellow. Viscuous, tasty and holding up quite well. I stole a small pour for tonight to retry but I won't tell anyone.