Dinner at Rim Rock Cafe

Whistler, BC
Tasted Saturday, September 3, 2005 by Eric with 423 views

This has to be one of the better eating establishments in Whistler, our third meal here, all of them memorable and wonderful.

Flight 1 (1 Note)

I started out with a wonderful appetizer of seared Ahi along with a miso/sesame cone of Ahi Poke, yum! With this and an array of other appetizers, the Selbach-Oster paired admirably. It was nice to check in on a Kabinett from 2003, and despite the modest score this is drinking wonderfully.

• 2003 Selbach-Oster Zeltinger Schlossberg Riesling Kabinett 87 Points

Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer

Wow, showing very well. Quite a nose of diesel, floral, mineral, more advanced than I would expect. Very ripe and forward, yet still showing a touch of edginess that reminds you this is a Kabinett. Surprisingly oily and intense, with lime and lightly tropical fruit nuances. Some astringency shows uo on the finish, not the smoothest or cleanest flavor profile yet still a delight to drink.

Post a Comment / Do you find this review helpful? Yes - No / Report Issue

Flight 2 (1 Note)

Nest up was a mixed grill of Caribou, lamb and beef tenderloin. With it was a wine that I had ordered a couple of days in advance along with instructions to decant about 90 minutes before we arrived at the restaurant. I am glad I did so, as this is a tightly wound yet glorious young wine that was still slowly unfolding in our glasses some 2 hours later.

• 1999 Shafer Cabernet Sauvignon Hillside Select 97 Points

USA, California, Napa Valley, Stags Leap District

I called ahead to order this and have it decanted 90 minutes before arrived, a serious wine geek move, even for me.
    Liqueur of Napa! Man oh man, this stuff rocks. Tightly wound even with 2.5 hours in a decanter, this has a soaring nose of cassis and cranberry, so pure. The palate is powerful and intense, so fantastically liqueur like, seamless yet also surprisingly brooding and black with dark chocolate and a hint of tar. This is still very youthful and a bit drying on the back end with loads of stuffing to let it age gracefully for many years to come. I need to track some more of this elixir down for the cellar!

Post a Comment / Do you find this review helpful? Yes - No / Report Issue

Another memorable meal, well done!