CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

Tasting Room Etiquette

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Tasting Room Etiquette Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Tasting Room Etiquette - 9/7/2010 1:17:30 PM   
smokeshowing

Cheers all!

I have a quick question for everyone. During a recent visit to a winery tasting room my wife and I dealt with something kind of unusual. The tastings were $10 per person, with the tasting fee being credited toward a purchase of $100 or more. However, for both tasting fees to be credited would require a purchase of $200 or more. I have been to many tasting rooms, from the Russian River Valley to Carneros, but I can't recall any winery charging for a tasting, even for two people, after choosing to purchase well over $100 worth of their wine.

Maybe I am being a little thrifty here, but in this economy every penny counts. Thoughts?

Thanks!

Craig

fearnowine.com

< Message edited by smokeshowing -- 9/7/2010 1:18:27 PM >

FearNoWine!
Post #: 1
RE: Tasting Room Etiquette - 9/7/2010 1:36:58 PM   
annerk

I would probably pay the fee and walk out--and then send the owner of the winery (or manager) an email telling him/her that the policy of requiring both parties to make apurcahse for the comp is ridiculous. I don't think you are being thrifty, I think the winery is cutting off their nose to spite their face. I highly doubt they are pouring $20 worth of wine to begin with.

https://www.instagram.com/whattheducktravel

(in reply to smokeshowing)
Post #: 2
RE: Tasting Room Etiquette - 9/7/2010 1:41:43 PM   
smokeshowing

Thanks for your response. I was debating whether I would take the time to express my displeasure with their setup. You convinced me to do just that.

Cheers!

(in reply to annerk)
Post #: 3
RE: Tasting Room Etiquette - 9/7/2010 1:57:38 PM   
ChrisinCowiche

I've been to many tasting rooms too, and while they all have different policies, I think if the policy was clear when you agreed to taste, you don't have much complaint. If it wasn't clear at the beginning that the minimum purchase, or how tasting fee waived with purchase, applied then you should complain.

One that torqued me off recently was similar. The tasting room had a $10/per person fee. Fee waived with purchase of $150. We purchased two tastings, then bought wine (2 nice bottles) coming to ~$140. Total bill (rounding) was $160. I was a little peeved that the owner, and that's who was serving us, didn't stretch it a little or waive the fee. Not only were we the first customers on a rainy Saturday, we sat in the parking lot 20 minutes past the posted opening time for the doors to open; we were wine touring and had traveled far, so we didn't leave.

But I didn't complain at the time because the tasting fee and w/purchase rebate was clearly explained. I personally may not ever go back there or make recommendations to send other folks there, but I didn't think I had a right to complain.

http://www.cellartracker.com/new/user.asp?iUserOverride=102173

Post #: 4
RE: Tasting Room Etiquette - 9/7/2010 2:03:23 PM   
pjaines

Bad business.  Period.

(in reply to ChrisinCowiche)
Post #: 5
RE: Tasting Room Etiquette - 9/7/2010 2:08:24 PM   
tacman

Y'all should be less PC and go ahead and name the offending wineries/tasting rooms.
The strongest votes we have are with our mouths and our wallets ... knowing which places to avoid is often just as important as knowing which places to try.

"I'm drinking some wine, eating some cheese, and catching some rays, you know..." - Oddball (Kelly's Heroes)

(in reply to pjaines)
Post #: 6
RE: Tasting Room Etiquette - 9/7/2010 2:19:14 PM   
smokeshowing

I hear you when you talk about a clear understanding of the tasting room's policy. While we didn't notice the "small print" until we had already imbibed, and I use the term loosely (two very small sips), I still find it a bit absurd to insist on charging for one of the tastings after throwing down for $150 worth of their wine (three bottles).

My point being that there are so many incredible producers out there that either waive the entire tasting fee with purchase, or don't even charge a tasting fee, that to apply this kind of policy is just a poor business decision. Not to mention that we are not living in the most prosperous of times and to squeeze your customers like this is just plain stupid.

If you're interested in the long version of the story you can read it here:

http://fearnowine.com/2010/09/08/the-trouble-with-tasting/

-C-

Post #: 7
RE: Tasting Room Etiquette - 9/7/2010 2:20:12 PM   
smokeshowing

quote:

ORIGINAL: pjaines

Bad business.  Period.

Agreed...

FearNoWine!

(in reply to pjaines)
Post #: 8
RE: Tasting Room Etiquette - 9/7/2010 2:23:47 PM   
pjaines

From what I read the wine producers on your side of the pond are gagging for business - and as with any wine producing country, there is a tonne of other options.  I always make sure the offenders know I will be taking my money elsewhere.  Of course, that elsewhere is usually the taxman or The Hide Bar, but that is besides the point.

Post #: 9
RE: Tasting Room Etiquette - 9/7/2010 2:35:17 PM   
smokeshowing

quote:

ORIGINAL: pjaines

From what I read the wine producers on your side of the pond are gagging for business - and as with any wine producing country, there is a tonne of other options.  I always make sure the offenders know I will be taking my money elsewhere.  Of course, that elsewhere is usually the taxman or The Hide Bar, but that is besides the point.

Exactly my point! There are just way too many options available to the consumer, especially here in Northern California. I did indeed pass along my sentiments to the winemaker/owner and I am keenly interested in his response.

FearNoWine!

(in reply to pjaines)
Post #: 10
RE: Tasting Room Etiquette - 9/7/2010 2:53:19 PM   
dsGris

I can only speak of the wineries we have visited in the WV. As my wife drinks while while I drink red, most places have been accommodating in letting us split the tasting. We can sample the whole spectrum with out being to sloshed for the next. Unless they have changed their policy, they also credit the tasting toward purchase with out limit. We have not visited the cult wineries. Do we have cult wineries in the Willamette Valley I should know about? D

DennisG
Granpa Wino

Post #: 11
RE: Tasting Room Etiquette - 9/7/2010 3:41:55 PM   
ChrisinCowiche

quote:

ORIGINAL: tacman

Y'all should be less PC and go ahead and name the offending wineries/tasting rooms.
The strongest votes we have are with our mouths and our wallets ... knowing which places to avoid is often just as important as knowing which places to try.

The one with the fee-anyway policy that I referred to was Bergstrom in Newberg, Oregon. I have a wine blog too (don't we all :)) and here is how I described our visit to Bergstrom back in January...

"At Bergstrom we were served by one of the winery owners, Karen Bergstrom, and had a very nice chat about vineyard sources for their wines, Pinot Noir clones, the Cumberland Gap, biodynamics, and lots of talk about Josh, their winemaker. Later I realized Josh is her son and even though many/most wineries talk glowingly of their winemaker, the accolades Josh received reminded me of my mother describing the Play-Doh sculpture I crafted in kindergarten. Somewhat embarrassing no matter how true. After politely sipping a couple of whites, we tried a lineup of five Pinot Noirs, three from their normal tasting menu, plus a couple of others that they had open in preparation for an event later that day. We scored because our favorite of the bunch was one of those, their 2007 Shea Vineyard designate. "

I didn't refer to the fee or tasting policy and maybe because Ms. Bergstrom had already stretched the sample list by a couple she didn't feel obligated to waive the tasting fee. I had honestly forgotten that part of the story, but remembered getting charged the tasting fee after spending what I thought was a chunk of change for 2 bottles of wine. I do know that Bergstrom has some very highly rated and regarded wines, also quite spendy, and the two bottles of Bergstrom Shea Vineyard designate I have are likely the only two bottles I'll ever buy.

Dennis,
I don't know if Bergstrom is "cult" status or not, but this is the only time I had this expereince out of about 25-30 Willamette Tasting rooms I've visited over the past 2 years. I've had other rooms where I thought the fees were excessive, but I've learned to always read the fine print (or ask if it isn't clear) and like I said in my first respopnse in this thread, my only real complaint, with fees anyway, is when I don;t feel like it was disclosed properly.

< Message edited by ChrisinSunnyside -- 9/7/2010 3:51:35 PM >

http://www.cellartracker.com/new/user.asp?iUserOverride=102173

(in reply to tacman)
Post #: 12
RE: Tasting Room Etiquette - 9/7/2010 4:03:49 PM   
Serge Birbrair

I buy ONE tasting, regardless of how many people is in the party. This way nobody feels obligated to do anything:
me to buy and owners to wave the fee. Everybody happy.

tsk....

Post #: 13
RE: Tasting Room Etiquette - 9/7/2010 4:44:04 PM   
annerk

quote:

ORIGINAL: tacman

Avoid:  Clos Pegase.  We were probably the only guests they had on a cold rainy day the first week of February, and we were treated very poorly by their tasting room staff.

On the other hand the excellent experience we had the first time we stopped in to Domaine Carneros--including pouring some wines that were normally reserved for their club members got us to sign up with them, and we've been members for several years.

https://www.instagram.com/whattheducktravel

(in reply to tacman)
Post #: 14
RE: Tasting Room Etiquette - 9/7/2010 4:48:39 PM   
brigcampbell

quote:

ORIGINAL: Serge Birbrair

I buy ONE tasting, regardless of how many people is in the party. This way nobody feels obligated to do anything:
me to buy and owners to wave the fee. Everybody happy.

We do the same.  But we also "power taste" hitting 5+ wineries in a day so sharing just makes more sense.

Sincerely,

-brig campbell

(in reply to Serge Birbrair)
Post #: 15
RE: Tasting Room Etiquette - 9/7/2010 6:23:34 PM   
grafstrb

I agree that it was a chintzy policy.  That said, if the policy was clear beforehand (which it sounds like maybe it wasn't?) then you have no complaint: if you chose to taste and purchase despite the policy that is the choice you made.  Personally, I simply wouldn't return.

What chaps me even more is when we aren't told one way or another if the tasting fee will be refunded with purchase, and then it is not -- in those instances, I almost always do not purchase, or I purchase less than I would have if the fee were refunded, and I always (politely) let them know that's what I'm doing.

< Message edited by grafstrb -- 9/7/2010 6:25:02 PM >

Terroir is not a flavor.

(in reply to brigcampbell)
Post #: 16
RE: Tasting Room Etiquette - 9/7/2010 6:32:39 PM   
dsGris

Very interesting as I vaguely know the Bergstrom's.  Dr. Bergstrom was my wife's  OB for our daughter 36 years ago.  Subsequently, we did several jobs for them before they got into the winery business.  Coincidental events, realized later after working for a colleague.  I could have done work on the winery and taken some out in trade, but was never considered.  We have had their Pinot Noir in restaurants but haven't visited the winery.  I missed out on a special last year on the Shea, $75 is a little steep for me, but have considered a bottle or two for my daughter because of the connection.  Mothers and grandmothers (grandfathers too) can get a little out of hand sometimes.  Keep them out of the tasting room.  They could be a cult winery, but as said before, I have a hard time affording cult wines.

DennisG
Granpa Wino

Post #: 17
RE: Tasting Room Etiquette - 9/7/2010 7:29:36 PM   
smokeshowing

quote:

ORIGINAL: grafstrb

I agree that it was a chintzy policy.  That said, if the policy was clear beforehand (which it sounds like maybe it wasn't?) then you have no complaint: if you chose to taste and purchase despite the policy that is the choice you made.  Personally, I simply wouldn't return.

What chaps me even more is when we aren't told one way or another if the tasting fee will be refunded with purchase, and then it is not -- in those instances, I almost always do not purchase, or I purchase less than I would have if the fee were refunded, and I always (politely) let them know that's what I'm doing.

The more I think about it the more I realize that we simply did not see the fine print on the tasting menu. I'll take the blame for that, but it still feels as though this policy does more harm than good for the winery. As I mention in my blog post, we had considered joining this particular winery's wine club, but were so put off by the tasting fee being applied after spending some $150 on three bottles of wine, we just couldn't bring ourselves to pull the trigger. If I were in the shoes of this particular proprietor, I would seriously reconsider this pricing structure for tastings. Again, just too many good, or even better, options out there in the market.

FearNoWine!

(in reply to grafstrb)
Post #: 18
RE: Tasting Room Etiquette - 9/7/2010 11:43:09 PM   
MotoMannequin

I think I know which winery this was - my wife and I took the 50-or-so minute drive from Livermore to check it out last weekend. Great reputation, we were less than impressed with the tasting room fee. FWIW we realized it was $10 applied to $100 so we decided to split a single tasting. In both our opinions the wines were good, but the prices far exceed the quality in bottle.

Easy pass. There's a lot of good wine out there to deal with this crap. It's a shame because we were excited to try this place, had heard a lot about it.

< Message edited by MotoMannequin -- 9/7/2010 11:44:47 PM >

Post #: 19
RE: Tasting Room Etiquette - 9/8/2010 11:04:14 AM   
grafstrb

quote:

ORIGINAL: smokeshowing

quote:

ORIGINAL: grafstrb

The more I think about it the more I realize that we simply did not see the fine print on the tasting menu. I'll take the blame for that, but it still feels as though this policy does more harm than good for the winery. As I mention in my blog post, we had considered joining this particular winery's wine club, but were so put off by the tasting fee being applied after spending some $150 on three bottles of wine, we just couldn't bring ourselves to pull the trigger. If I were in the shoes of this particular proprietor, I would seriously reconsider this pricing structure for tastings. Again, just too many good, or even better, options out there in the market.

I probably would have had the same reaction to the situation as you did. And I agree -- tons of equal, or better, options out there. If you were out tasting Pinot, you should take a look at Arcadian – awesome wines! (Pinot, Chard., and Syrah) IMO, Joe Davis (winemaker at Arcadian) makes the best Pinot Noirs in the country, and he's a really great guy, ta boot! Try his wines. If you like them, sign-up for their Wine Club – they treat their wine club members very very well.

Terroir is not a flavor.

Post #: 20
RE: Tasting Room Etiquette - 9/8/2010 11:52:33 AM   
jamjo

http://fora.tv/2009/10/23/CRUSH_IT_Gary_Vaynerchuk#fullprogram
This says it all. If you can't get the link go to fora.tv search Gary Vaynerchuk
#08-Q1
We WE all of us have more juice with regard who buys what than any print media or add campaign. I will listen to you YOU before I take advise from reading any mass circulated opinions. My friends opinions have more substance than an ad campaign.

(in reply to grafstrb)
Post #: 21
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Tasting Room Etiquette Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI