CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

Aging German Kabinett

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Aging German Kabinett Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Aging German Kabinett - 9/6/2010 8:53:11 PM   
ikileo

Hey guys,

Would like to know as per the ageablility of a good German Riesling Kabinett. I know people get excited about old Spatlese, Auslese and beyond, but I would like to know how does the humble Kabinett fare? I am particularly fond of Kabinetts, even over their sweeter counterparts but I seem to be drinking them within 3 years of vintage.

In addition, what should I expect out of an old kabinett? more petrol? and what do you look out for in a kabinett to deem is 'worthy' or aging for 10 years or more?

thanks!
Post #: 1
RE: Aging German Kabinett - 9/7/2010 6:35:43 AM   
ob2s

I had a 1972 Cabinett last month. It was labeled 10% ABV. I think if you are 10% or under that you should hold one back as long as you can stand to do so. The Cabinett was not unlike a 1976 Auslese I have had, petrolly, still good acid and fruit. Kabinetts certainly do drink better earlier than the laters, but unless it is leaning towards halbtrocken, then they should fare in the cabinet as well as the others. 

German Wine ? see GermanWines.us | water nourishes the body, wine nourishes the soul

(in reply to ikileo)
Post #: 2
RE: Aging German Kabinett - 9/7/2010 11:34:09 AM   
treetops

quote:

ORIGINAL: ikileo

and what do you look out for in a kabinett to deem is 'worthy' or aging for 10 years or more?

The best growers from the best vintages.

"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" - Benjamin Franklin

(in reply to ikileo)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Aging German Kabinett Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI