CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

v 3.1.0-3.1.3 release notes

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> Release Notes >> v 3.1.0-3.1.3 release notes Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
v 3.1.0-3.1.3 release notes - 6/8/2005 11:30:02 PM   
Eric

At last, this release has a feature that people have been BEGGING for since the earliest days of CellarTracker:

UPLOADABLE LABEL IMAGES!!! (6/8/2005)
  • At long last, users can now upload photos of wine labels.
  • Each wine can have as many images as users upload. By default all images are shared across all users, but behind the scenes I do have the ability to make images private to specific users. We'll see if I need to use that.
  • If a wine has multiple images, currently they are picked at random at render time. In the future I will introduce a lot more control around this.
  • All images are saved as JPG on the server and forced down to a maximum of 250 pixels wide or tall. (This limits each image to a max of about 25KB.)
  • Images are shown for all vintages of a wine unless a specific image is uploaded for a vintage.
  • Users can report bad images to me via a clickable link.
NEW: MORE LABEL IMPROVEMENTS BASED ON A DAY OF USAGE! (6/10/1005)
  • I changed the max-pixels to 256 from 250 based on this feedback from WNissen: "Finally, if choosing an arbitrary size for a scaled JPG, 256x256 (or any multiple of 8) gives slightly better image quality because of the way JPG quantizes the image." Well, you learn something new every day... 
  • Now when a user reports an error, I generate an HTML message with a link to the image and wine, and I actually include the typed comment this time. (That was getting lost.)
  • I now validate that the upload is a valid image before trying to convert it to a JPEG.
  • Users now have the ability to delete their uploaded images.
  • Now when a non-matching vintage label is shown, the site indicates this. I also show the closest possible vintage instead of a randomly selected one. Of course, this all depends on users matching images to vintages properly...

• I started some management pages for me to review these behind the scenes.
MORE LABEL IMPROVEMENTS! (6/13/1005)
  • I have done a bunch of work to help with vintage matching of images. After a user uploads an image, they are asked to enter the vintage shown on the image (or non available if the image is generic). Behind the scenes, I actually create that vintage of the wine and reattach the image to the specific vintage. Now also, I can easily remap image to wine vintage, and in general this is a piece of metadata which I am reviewing and maintaining., Also, when a non-matching wine label is shown, it more clearly mentions that this is "borrowed" from another specific vintage.
  • In general, I have cleaned up the user interface a bit. Clicking the link to remove an image now requires just the one prompt. Also, windows refresh appropiately when adding, removing or remapping the vintage for an image. (I found a super-cool Javascript property which lets me easily get at the parent window, hurrah!)
  • I did a bunch of database work. Now when merging or deleting wines the images are not orphaned. I also will spin off a user's image with their other data in case they specify an edit which is clearly a different wine. Going deeper than that, I also made some very fundamental changes about how and where images are stored. Now all of the images are persisted as binary blobs in the database. When the site goes to render a web page with the image in question, it first check if it is also cached in the file system as a JPG. If not it regerante the image on demand. This is fantastic for me, as I get 99% of the performance benefits of having the image cached on disk. Meanwhile, backup is very simple and is covered by all of my existing backup procedures. Also, soon I am going to be switching to having multiple front-end web server with load balancing, and this scheme means I won't have to replicate back and forth between these machines. Needless to say, I am VERY pleased with myself on this one!

• Now there is a label image summary page that users can reach via quick search or advanced search. Various image properties are shown, and this page also have fairly full-featured filtering. I also have simple hooks behind the scenes to mark each image as reviewed (once I verify the vintage and that the image matches the wine in question).

• I now bias the site to show a user the images they have personally uploaded instead of randomly selecting (if there are multiples for a wine).
EVEN MORE LABEL IMPROVEMENTS! (6/15/1005)
  • Things just got a lot simpler. Now if there are multiple images for a label, this is indicated (label 1 of 5 etc.) along with cursors to let you cycle next and previous through all of the labels.
  • Images are shown based on the vintage they are associated with. Then images from other vintage appear in the sequence biasing towards vintages that are closest to the current vintage you are looking at.
  • For images that match the vintage, a user will see images they themself have uploaded first.
LABEL FILTERING! (6/18/1005)
  • In the main cellar view there is a camera next to any wine that has any matching label image. Hovering shows you the count of images, and you can click on the camera, and a viewer comes up to let you page through them.
  • Going beyond that, in advanced search now you can choose to filter to show wines either WITH or WITHOUT images.
  • And you can further restrict the filtering to only show labels you have personally uploaded and also to require exact vintage matches. And when filtered to show labels without images, there is an upload... link next to each wine that streamlines the upload process. So now if you want to go through each of your wines and upload an image, it is much easier to do so.
MORE TWEAKS (6/23/1005)
  • In wine search page there is also now a camera next to any wine that has any matching label image. Hovering shows you the count of images, and you can click on the camera, and a viewer comes up to let you page through them.
  • There is now a setting to suppress label image display in the wine drilldown. (The camera is shown instead.) The camera is also shown for handheld devices.
At this point, I have done pretty much all of the really obvious stuff I intended to. Now I am going to look at optionally placing thumbnails in other places as well and ultimately a richer way for people to vote on and rate the best images.

NOTIFICATIONS
  • I built some infrastructure that allows me to set up notifications that appear either per users or for all users (with expiration dates).
MISCELLANEOUS
  • I cleaned up the display of professional reviews to be a bit more streamlined. I have also made it more clear that these are private vs. user tasting notes which are public.
  • When new users sign up they now have to type their email address in two fields (to avoid typos).
  • On user signup and for profile editing, it is now more clear what is private (name and email) vs. public (handle.)
  • Guest users can now search the list of users based on handles.
  • A handful of other small bug fixes as well.

< Message edited by Eric -- 6/23/2005 3:08:42 PM >

Cheers!
-Eric LeVine

http://twitter.com/cellartracker
http://facebook.com/cellartracker
Post #: 1
RE: v 3.1.0 release notes - 6/9/2005 3:55:02 AM   
obiscoito

WOW! Yeah that is good news! I have my camera out now and will try to get a few up this afternoon to see what they look like. Thanks for all the hard work!

-Ryan Opaz

www.catavino.net

(in reply to Eric)
Post #: 2
RE: v 3.1.0 release notes - 6/9/2005 6:12:26 AM   
Winetex

Oh no, something more wine geeky I can do - take pictures of my labels.  I predict there will be a flood of these.  Thanks Eric.

(in reply to obiscoito)
Post #: 3
RE: v 3.1.0 release notes - 6/9/2005 6:37:27 AM   
KellyW

Eric,

Way cool, now how do you upload?  I cannot find any controls or menu item for it.

Kelly

(in reply to Winetex)
Post #: 4
RE: v 3.1.0 release notes - 6/9/2005 6:44:24 AM   
KellyW

Never mind eric.  I figured it out.  Awesome!!!!

(in reply to KellyW)
Post #: 5
RE: v 3.1.0 release notes - 6/9/2005 6:47:39 AM   
ianlumb

Really great. I've just uploaded a few and it's painless and very, very quick.

The only comment i'd make is labels look less neat in portrait orientation than landscape, but unless you crop them or severely resize then that's always going to be the case.

(in reply to KellyW)
Post #: 6
RE: v 3.1.0 release notes - 6/9/2005 6:56:22 AM   
ajlewis

Great news Eric!

That took you, um, let's see. . . about 36 hours.  Sheesh.  I fear what will happen when you decide you really want to do something.

Great work!

(in reply to ianlumb)
Post #: 7
RE: v 3.1.0 release notes - 6/9/2005 7:17:01 AM   
wnissen

Eric,

Wonderful feature. Makes it much easier to recognize a wine. Thank you!

Have you heard anything on the copyright status of the labels? I was under the impression that without permission from the winery they could not be reproduced.

Finally, if choosing an arbitrary size for a scaled JPG, 256x256 (or any multiple of 8) gives slightly better image quality because of the way JPG quantizes the image.

Walt

(in reply to ajlewis)
Post #: 8
RE: v 3.1.0 release notes - 6/9/2005 7:47:39 AM   
ajlewis

Hi Eric,

Yeah, I was wondering about copyright along the same lines as wnissen.  I noodled around with this feature this morning and it's great.  I also got some of the images from the producer's websites.  I assume that this is fair use.  Any thoughts?

(in reply to wnissen)
Post #: 9
RE: v 3.1.0 release notes - 6/9/2005 7:53:04 AM   
KellyW

Eric,

I uploaded all of the Mouton labels 1945 - 2001.  I noticed that the 2002 is hard linked to the 2002 vintage but all the rest are randomly selected.  This is one where you may want to hard link the label to the vintage since the label changes every year.

Kelly

(in reply to ajlewis)
Post #: 10
RE: v 3.1.0 release notes - 6/9/2005 2:11:23 PM   
heron

Sweet, Eric!  You continue to amaze us, thanks.

(in reply to KellyW)
Post #: 11
RE: v 3.1.0 release notes - 6/9/2005 5:25:38 PM   
seanr7

Eric,

Outstanding!!!

(in reply to heron)
Post #: 12
RE: v 3.1.0 release notes - 6/10/2005 12:04:05 AM   
Eric

quote:

ORIGINAL: KellyW

Eric,

I uploaded all of the Mouton labels 1945 - 2001.  I noticed that the 2002 is hard linked to the 2002 vintage but all the rest are randomly selected.  This is one where you may want to hard link the label to the vintage since the label changes every year.

Kelly

Kelly, I cleaned all of these up. In general, the site prefers a hard-linked image (matching the vintage), but in lieu of that it grabs the closest matching vintage. Obviously with something like Mouton though you want an exact match. I probably cleaned up about 20 of your other labels as well. The Gaja's are another case where the vintage matters after 1995.

Cheers!
-Eric LeVine

(in reply to KellyW)
Post #: 13
RE: v 3.1.0 release notes - 6/10/2005 12:05:15 AM   
Eric

Day 2 of the label feature brought a LOT of improvements and robustness. I edited the original message to include these enhancements. We had more than 550 images uploaded today, a LOT of use for a day!

Cheers!
-Eric LeVine

(in reply to Eric)
Post #: 14
RE: v 3.1.0 release notes - 6/10/2005 3:29:41 AM   
kingbing

Great stuff Eric.

Any chance of a small camera symbol or something else, on the main celler listing, that indicates whether a label photo exists?  This would help in organising for a photo/scan to be taken and uploaded.  Saves going to each wine only to find it's already been done.

Cheers!

(in reply to Eric)
Post #: 15
RE: v 3.1.0 release notes - 6/10/2005 4:37:13 AM   
Lou Briccant

It's about time you got off your a$$ Eric!!

Great job!

Kingbing - great idea!

(in reply to kingbing)
Post #: 16
RE: v 3.1.0 release notes - 6/10/2005 6:32:30 AM   
texaswino

Great new feature Eric. This site continues to amaze me. Time to send in another contribution!!

(in reply to Lou Briccant)
Post #: 17
RE: v 3.1.0 release notes - 6/10/2005 8:39:30 AM   
muttt

quote:

ORIGINAL: kingbing

Great stuff Eric.

Any chance of a small camera symbol or something else, on the main celler listing, that indicates whether a label photo exists?  This would help in organising for a photo/scan to be taken and uploaded.  Saves going to each wine only to find it's already been done.

Cheers!
Nice idea.  Would definitely be a plus. 

(in reply to kingbing)
Post #: 18
RE: v 3.1.0 release notes - 6/13/2005 8:08:12 AM   
bacchus

eric-

thanks for this feature, now i can finally get rid of all those dead horses and store the image memories away for future reference. can you imagine what this is going to do to the glass recycling industry?

of course, the more you give us, the more we want.

have you thought about making picture upload part of entering a new wine in addition to an independent function?

would you consider having the label be clickable to the winery web page? this might overcome any concerns about copywrite violation if you are giving them "free advertising".

would you consider invoking a rule that flat images take precedence over rounded (label on bottle) images?

finally, can images be uploaded live from a web cam or must the image first be stored on hard drive?

regards,

cliff

A Country Gentleman

(in reply to Eric)
Post #: 19
RE: v 3.1.0 release notes - 6/13/2005 6:09:23 PM   
jthielen

Eric
Great addition. I second the motion for a small icon on "My Cellar" page to let us know if there is a label or not.

I find myself scouring the Internet for label images to complete my collection. I have entirely too much time on my hands I guess.

Regards
Jeff

(in reply to bacchus)
Post #: 20
RE: v 3.1.0 release notes - 6/13/2005 6:50:26 PM   
noto bene

Ok, I admit, computer skills are not my strong point, but where the @#$#% is the menu for downloading v 3.1.0 for the label images, I know its probably right in front of my nose, but I can't take it where is it?

(in reply to Eric)
Post #: 21
RE: v 3.1.0 release notes - 6/13/2005 8:51:50 PM   
Eric

quote:

ORIGINAL: noto bene

Ok, I admit, computer skills are not my strong point, but where the @#$#% is the menu for downloading v 3.1.0 for the label images, I know its probably right in front of my nose, but I can't take it where is it?

CellarTracker is a web service. When I add new features they just appear. In this case, when you are on the drilldown page for a wine, now there is a link near the top to add a photo of the label. That leads you through a UI to upload an image.

Cheers!
-Eric LeVine

(in reply to noto bene)
Post #: 22
RE: v 3.1.0 release notes - 6/14/2005 12:02:17 PM   
PaulH

My guess as to pic priority is as follows:

The first picture uploaded for a wine will default for all vintages of that wine.
The first picture uploaded for a wine/vintage will default for that wine/vintage.
If a user uploads a picture for a wine/vintage, it will be displayed for that user instead of earlier pics from other users.

Is this correct?

If so, the first upload ends up as the default picture for folks who don't upload their own, even though subsequent pics many be superior in quality.

(in reply to Eric)
Post #: 23
RE: v 3.1.0 release notes - 6/14/2005 12:09:35 PM   
Eric

quote:

ORIGINAL: PaulH

My guess as to pic priority is as follows:

The first picture uploaded for a wine will default for all vintages of that wine.
The first picture uploaded for a wine/vintage will default for that wine/vintage.
If a user uploads a picture for a wine/vintage, it will be displayed for that user instead of earlier pics from other users.

Nope. The logic is a bit different and still evolving:
  • If there are one or more images that are targeted to a specific vintage of a wine (now the user is asked to pick vintage or n/a after uploading), the site will choose from those first
    • Top priority goes to images that a user has uploaded themself. If they have uploaded multiples, currently the site will randomly pick.
    • Beyond that, the site randomly picks among all of the images for a wine.

• If there is no image for that vintage then the site will pick one from another vintage of the same wine. Currently it picks the one closest to the vintage of the wine you are looking at. it does not bias to images from that user nor does it randomly rotate.
In the future I plan to do a few things:
  • Soon I will make it so that a user can see how images exist for a wine and can cyle through them.
  • Longer term, I will let a user choose their favorite. At this point, the site will show that to them first, although they will still be able to cycle.
  • Then my hope is to aggregate the favorite ratings to images to all users which are most highly favored. Going beyond that, users whose images are most often rated as favorites (not by themselves) will tend to have their images shown first.
Anyway, we'll see how long this takes. I have spent most of the past week on this area, and it is coming together quite nicely. In fact, I added a bunch of enhancements last night. See the original post in a moment for more details.

Cheers!
-Eric LeVine

(in reply to PaulH)
Post #: 24
RE: v 3.1.0 release notes - 6/14/2005 12:53:03 PM   
Eric

quote:

ORIGINAL: bacchus
have you thought about making picture upload part of entering a new wine in addition to an independent function?
would you consider having the label be clickable to the winery web page? this might overcome any concerns about copywrite violation if you are giving them "free advertising".
would you consider invoking a rule that flat images take precedence over rounded (label on bottle) images?
finally, can images be uploaded live from a web cam or must the image first be stored on hard drive?

Cliff,
1) I do plan to optionally expose images/thumbnails in a lot more places such as wine editing/addition, in your main cellar view etc.
2) I do plan to add producer hyperlinks eventually. That has been on the wish list for a while!
3) For image precedence, I plan to have a voting scheme of sorts so that users can pick their favorite image (if there are multiple for a wine). I will use these votes to help sift the wheat from the chaff and show the 'best' images to everyone.
4) For image upload I am using a very generic HTML construct <input type='file'>, so it depends on your browser. However, yes, generally most browsers just expose a file picker so that you can snag a file off the disk. Some devices are more slick. For example, Handspring has created a Palm-based tool (LifeDrive) that has a camera and a browser (Blazer 4.1) which I think are nicely integrated for image uplaod directly from the camera's local cache. I am eagerly awaiting the day that my Treo (a cellphone from Handspring) has the same capability, as the camera on my phone is quite nice. Alas, Blazer 4.0 (the browser on it) doesn't support image upload. Phooey!!!

Cheers!
-Eric LeVine

(in reply to bacchus)
Post #: 25
RE: v 3.1.0 release notes - 6/18/2005 3:58:10 PM   
Eric

quote:

ORIGINAL: kingbing

You asked for it, and now you have it. In the main cellar view there is a camera next to any wine that has any matching label image. Hovering shows you the count of images, and you can click on the camera, and a viewer comes up to let you page through them. Going beyond that, in advanced search now you can choose to filter to show wines either WITH or WITHOUT images. And you can further restrict the filtering to only show labels you have personally uploaded and also to require exact vintage matches. And when filtered to show labels without images, there is an upload... link next to each wine that streamlines the upload process. So now if you want to go through each of your wines and upload an image, it is much easier to do so.

I will edit the main post to include this.

Cheers!
-Eric LeVine

(in reply to kingbing)
Post #: 26
RE: v 3.1.0 release notes - 6/18/2005 4:01:57 PM   
Eric

quote:

ORIGINAL: jthielen

Eric
Great addition. I second the motion for a small icon on "My Cellar" page to let us know if there is a label or not.

I find myself scouring the Internet for label images to complete my collection. I have entirely too much time on my hands I guess.

Regards
Jeff

Added. See above for a more detailed description.

Cheers!
-Eric LeVine

(in reply to jthielen)
Post #: 27
RE: labels - 11/15/2022 7:59:52 PM   
Hildybeest

Enhancement Request: Allow the user to tag which of the many labels they prefer for a wine, and then present that image when browsing wines.

Enhancement Request: Provide a much larger label browser that can display 10's of labels at a time rather than 1 to enhance the selection of a preferred label image by the user.

(in reply to Eric)
Post #: 28
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> Release Notes >> v 3.1.0-3.1.3 release notes Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI