CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

Drinkability suggestion

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> CellarTracker Support >> Drinkability suggestion Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Drinkability suggestion - 12/12/2020 12:23:27 PM   
Sean McGrath

I've been diving into the Availability table in the WebQuery spreadsheet -- pretty amazing!

One thing that bugs me is that I get "drinkability" results for N.V. wines. The Begin and End dates all come from Community, and I suppose are somehow related to when the wine was added. They are gibberish, of course.

In my Access version I automatically delete all Begin and Ends where the vintage is N.V. Not sure what it would entail on your side, but ideally you would only allow a personal user Begin and End date, and not a Community or Professional one.

Cheers,
Sean
Post #: 1
RE: Drinkability suggestion - 12/12/2020 1:44:15 PM   
dpolivy

Hi Sean,

This topic has come up a number of times, and at the moment we don't have a good solution for drink dates for NV wines. I'm not sure that suppressing them completely is the right answer, as there is value to see dates (more so from professionals) especially when there is a "base" date on which you can base the window (e.g. if reviewer discloses the disgorgement/blend date in the review). I think a proper solution likely involves some way of distinguishing disgorgements/bottlings of NV wines while still aggregating up to the same "wine", but that's beyond what our current schema can support. Anyway, all that to say, we're aware of the limitations here, but don't have any short term plans to address.

Dan

(in reply to Sean McGrath)
Post #: 2
RE: Drinkability suggestion - 12/13/2020 5:13:54 AM   
Sean McGrath

Thanks, Dan. Yes, I figured it would involve some pretty complex changes.

For the record, I wasn't suggesting suppressing completely. Rather, since you do include the source for Begin and End dates, only including ones that were entered by the user. Ideally, as in your disgorgement idea, it would be per bottle of course -- another can of worms. I will say in the current system even the dates from professionals are completely unhelpful: using my own wines as an example, most end dates are in the past (as, on average, a review of an NV will be more than a few years old).

It is disconcerting to see all my Champagne and Cava show up in the "urgently drink" category. On the other hand, my wife agrees with the assessment. :-)

(in reply to dpolivy)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> CellarTracker Support >> Drinkability suggestion Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI