CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

NWR. Tipping in USA has become absurd

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> NWR. Tipping in USA has become absurd Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
NWR. Tipping in USA has become absurd - 5/4/2024 8:45:44 AM   
Eduardo787

https://www.facebook.com/share/CUov63h6whwTjMuF/?mibextid=MeSgDu

I know and understand this is a topic that has many ways of seeing it, but me being from México I frankly are amazed about the incredibly absurd levels tipping culture in USA has reached. At Chateau Saint Michelle in Woodinville I pucked up a bottle of wine with no help whatsoever and when at the check out I have the bottle to the cashier and the cashier terminal said " How much would You like to give as a tip ?". Sorry but ....why? Where is the aded Value, the service , the conversación, the reccomendation etc ? Now , those people earn money, it's their job, and they earn easily $20 per hour. Maybe some of you will defend this whole issue about tipping and I do tip and a lot but not to everyone. Are we going to start tipping the guy who sells You the ticket for the cinema? How about tipping the guy that sells you a tire or a car shampoo ?

Yes you can say " it's up to you, just don't tip" but it is not as simple as that because nowadays everyone is expecting a tip for everything all the time. Heck there is even an episode of South Park when Marsh does not want to tip at Whole Foods !

Maybe I am wrong here but I don't remember this utterly crazy tipping thing in the USA even just a few years ago. And no, I have not seen this in México or Europe......yet

Rants over.....

I can´t be happier than drinkling wine with my friends
Post #: 1
RE: NWR. Tipping in USA has become absurd - 5/4/2024 8:55:20 AM   
Eduardo787

The episode of South Park is not about tipping...its about donating for a X cause....sorry about the confusion

(in reply to Eduardo787)
Post #: 2
RE: NWR. Tipping in USA has become absurd - 5/4/2024 10:01:10 AM   
BobMilton

Yeah it has gotten out of hand. I tip (generously too) the usual folks - the person who cuts my hair, the help staff at a restaurant. But not much beyond that.

(in reply to Eduardo787)
Post #: 3
RE: NWR. Tipping in USA has become absurd - 5/4/2024 10:43:11 AM   
mclancy10006

If you are standing up in food service/hospitality land don't tip. Sitting down tip away.

-Mark

(in reply to BobMilton)
Post #: 4
RE: NWR. Tipping in USA has become absurd - 5/4/2024 10:52:55 AM   
Jenise

It came out of Covid, Eduardo, and because Point of Service electronics which also became the norm during Covid (for no-contact transactions) can be programmed to ask for tips, they do. Its definitely out of hand when you're pushed for tips in a retail situation. A local fishmarket I go to now presents an opportunity to tip before one gets to approve the sale amount. I hate it.

< Message edited by Jenise -- 5/5/2024 7:13:22 AM >

(in reply to Eduardo787)
Post #: 5
RE: NWR. Tipping in USA has become absurd - 5/4/2024 11:53:10 AM   
jmcmchi

I agree with you Eduardo, and add more to the rant….when you have to add a third to the menu price to account for sales tax (10%) and tip on top (20% or more of 110) it is ludicrous.

(in reply to Jenise)
Post #: 6
RE: NWR. Tipping in USA has become absurd - 5/4/2024 12:12:58 PM   
Blue Shorts

I'm ambivalent about tipping. Generally, I think that tipping servers at restaurants is just the price of eating outside the home. It's been that way my entire life, so why complain now. But there are so many contradictions.

Does the server at a relatively inexpensive restaurant work less than a server at a high-end restaurant? Why should one server get a huge tip just because the meal is expensive, and the other server get a small tip because the food is less expensive? I do understand that some servers really are professionals and work hard for their tips, but I see that in both expensive and cheap restaurants alike.

I do draw the line at tips for retail purchases, where someone just rings up the items at a register. I did tip 20% (or more) for take out during the height of COVID, but only to help the people and restaurants to survive, especially the local places where I know most of the people by name

< Message edited by Blue Shorts -- 5/4/2024 12:15:01 PM >

(in reply to jmcmchi)
Post #: 7
RE: NWR. Tipping in USA has become absurd - 5/4/2024 11:31:52 PM   
Ricardo

I haven't visited the US for a few years now, but seem to remember having to carry a bagful of small bills around with me which had to be disbursed almost constantly, like confetti at a wedding, to avoid abuse....are you all saying it's even worse now? How does this work in a cashless society?

It wouldn't put me off visiting the US again (every country has annoying things to deal with) but it does make vacation budgeting difficult, it's a not insignificant cost in the US. The fact that you never pay the sticker price in retail establishments and have to work out the sales tax add-on (different in every state, natch) is also very annoying IMHO.

But...I love the idea of tipping the barman a few bills when he serves you up a dirty martini just the way you like it...very civilised!

(in reply to Blue Shorts)
Post #: 8
RE: NWR. Tipping in USA has become absurd - 5/5/2024 10:56:15 AM   
BobInNH

I'm 72 and it used to be a restaurant you tipped 10%, now, 20% is standard. I'll give 20% at a restaurant, BUT I will include tax before making the calculation. Stupid to tip on a tax.

(in reply to Ricardo)
Post #: 9
RE: NWR. Tipping in USA has become absurd - 5/5/2024 11:19:17 AM   
Eduardo787

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricardo

I haven't visited the US for a few years now, but seem to remember having to carry a bagful of small bills around with me which had to be disbursed almost constantly, like confetti at a wedding, to avoid abuse....are you all saying it's even worse now? How does this work in a cashless society?

Yes, MUCH worse. Not just that, now 20% is like a standard and some even tip 25% or more. I am going to be sarcastic here, but I see the day that in the USA it will be normal to tip the airline steward and maybe even the pilot ! Who knows, if we are tipping the cab driver why not tip the airline pilot. Maybe someday we should tip teachers, fireman, police, and our mechanic. Some are tipping the housekeeping lady at the hotel , so shy not tip the guy that does the check in ?
I am super pro tips, but only for the guys and gals that have a kind of work that deserve a tip or that go the extra mile and do something quite useful or appreciated by you.

(in reply to Ricardo)
Post #: 10
RE: NWR. Tipping in USA has become absurd - 5/5/2024 2:22:24 PM   
Blue Shorts

Eduardo - Nobody is forcing you to tip. And since you live in Mexico, it's not as if you will ever see most of those people again.

(in reply to Eduardo787)
Post #: 11
RE: NWR. Tipping in USA has become absurd - 5/5/2024 4:49:43 PM   
khmark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: Eduardo787

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricardo

Yes, MUCH worse. Not just that, now 20% is like a standard and some even tip 25% or more. I am going to be sarcastic here, but I see the day that in the USA it will be normal to tip the airline steward and maybe even the pilot ! Who knows, if we are tipping the cab driver why not tip the airline pilot. Maybe someday we should tip teachers, fireman, police, and our mechanic. Some are tipping the housekeeping lady at the hotel , so shy not tip the guy that does the check in ?
I am super pro tips, but only for the guys and gals that have a kind of work that deserve a tip or that go the extra mile and do something quite useful or appreciated by you.

Trying to "tip" a police officer in the USA is considered a bribe, just to clarify that because in some countries it might be considered something else.

"a rogue Provence rouge of unknown provenance." author grafstrb

(in reply to Eduardo787)
Post #: 12
RE: NWR. Tipping in USA has become absurd - 5/5/2024 6:29:19 PM   
KPB

I agree. Tipping 25% for someone who gets you a slice of coffee cake and pours a premade coffee to go with it… how did we reach this point?

Ken Birman
The Professor of Brettology

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 13
RE: NWR. Tipping in USA has become absurd - 5/5/2024 7:19:52 PM   
Eduardo787

quote:

ORIGINAL: Blue Shorts

Eduardo - Nobody is forcing you to tip. And since you live in Mexico, it's not as if you will ever see most of those people again.

Oh I agree, but just try to tip a cab driver in Vegas or NYC 10% or so to see the kind of response you get and the very bad moment he or she will be sure you have. The point here is not if I see them again in my life, is simply to regain normal and long standing etiquete about tipping. My rant here is not to not leave a tip, if in Rome well be like Rome, but from 0% tipping culture in many countries in the world followed by most countries that tipping is expected (10-15%) , now we have USA were 15% used to be the norm ( also 18-20% for exceptional service) and now is 22% and higher. My rant here is not just the percentages that are now way to high, but rather that almost everyone is expecting a tip and it should not be that way.

When I was in the United Club at Seatac the lady that was serving me the drinks was so so nice with me for that couple of hours and then I didnt saw a tipping jar and I asked her if it was OK to tipping her as her service was simply wonderful. She said yes and I left her $15. She did provide much more service than was expected, she brought me food that was not ready to be served to the public (yet) and she poured me several beers always with a nice chat. When at Chateau St Michelle I selected my own wine and was helped by nobody and to be suddenly in the cash register and asked if I wanted to leave a tip, now thats a whole different thing. I guarantee that many people feel bad if they press the 0% button and go ahead and do in automatic that 10 or 15% tip.

(in reply to Blue Shorts)
Post #: 14
RE: NWR. Tipping in USA has become absurd - 5/5/2024 9:04:26 PM   
jmcmchi

quote:

ORIGINAL: Eduardo787

quote:

ORIGINAL: Blue Shorts

Oh I agree, but just try to tip a cab driver in Vegas or NYC 10% or so to see the kind of response you get and the very bad moment he or she will be sure you have. The point here is not if I see them again in my life, is simply to regain normal and long standing etiquete about tipping. My rant here is not to not leave a tip, if in Rome well be like Rome, but from 0% tipping culture in many countries in the world followed by most countries that tipping is expected (10-15%) , now we have USA were 15% used to be the norm ( also 18-20% for exceptional service) and now is 22% and higher. My rant here is not just the percentages that are now way to high, but rather that almost everyone is expecting a tip and it should not be that way.

When I was in the United Club at Seatac the lady that was serving me the drinks was so so nice with me for that couple of hours and then I didnt saw a tipping jar and I asked her if it was OK to tipping her as her service was simply wonderful. She said yes and I left her $15. She did provide much more service than was expected, she brought me food that was not ready to be served to the public (yet) and she poured me several beers always with a nice chat. When at Chateau St Michelle I selected my own wine and was helped by nobody and to be suddenly in the cash register and asked if I wanted to leave a tip, now thats a whole different thing. I guarantee that many people feel bad if they press the 0% button and go ahead and do in automatic that 10 or 15% tip.

Interestingly at CSM the official position ( at least as of last year) is that tips are not expected

(in reply to Eduardo787)
Post #: 15
RE: NWR. Tipping in USA has become absurd - 5/5/2024 10:08:25 PM   
Rich64N

I often order to go pizza from BJ's at the local mall. I enter in the discount code of "Halfoff" because this pizza is not worth $34 (decent $17 pizza). The default tip is 18%. Sorry, why? I give 0.0% with lots of clicks on my part to do a custom tip of ZERO! I'm a guy that tips at happy hour based on the regular price but not 18% for a pick up pizza (then taken to a local brewery a mile away where I do tip well, beertender had a kid 3 weeks ago.) . But no, not tipping on a pick up pizza at 18%.

(in reply to jmcmchi)
Post #: 16
RE: NWR. Tipping in USA has become absurd - 5/6/2024 5:41:30 AM   
KPB

I’m fine with 20-25% for a person providing a genuine service, like a waiter or waitress or bartender. My issue is when they just ring things up without doing more… yet the cash register wants you to tip for that anyhow!

Ken Birman

(in reply to Rich64N)
Post #: 17
RE: NWR. Tipping in USA has become absurd - 5/6/2024 7:09:37 AM   
WineGuyCO

20%-25% plus tipping is not going to happen with me. I also don’t tip when picking up take out food. Sorry but I’m not tipping you to do your job. Want to make more? Get a better, higher paying job. Most of these jobs were never meant to support a family.

La felicità, come un vino pregiato, dev’essere assaporata sorso a sorso.

(in reply to KPB)
Post #: 18
RE: NWR. Tipping in USA has become absurd - 5/6/2024 2:45:53 PM   
Jenise

quote:

ORIGINAL: WineGuyCO

20%-25% plus tipping is not going to happen with me. I also don’t tip when picking up take out food. Sorry but I’m not tipping you to do your job. Want to make more? Get a better, higher paying job. Most of these jobs were never meant to support a family.

Wow. I absolutely tip when picking up take-out. Not at fast food (which mostly isn't possible anyway) but say I'm getting Chinese food. There are real people in that kitchen making real food with real families at home to take care of. I don't tip as highly in that situation as I do when dining-in, but tip I do. I have enough money to live better than they ever will, the least I can do is share.

(in reply to WineGuyCO)
Post #: 19
RE: NWR. Tipping in USA has become absurd - 5/6/2024 2:57:46 PM   
Wine Grove

Everything is a case by case situation. Some take out or casual dine-in situations deserve some form of a tip, but it might be just a few bucks or up to 5-10%

But I agree with the sentiment of this post that Tipping expectations, and the automatic options for add tip only being 20% or 25% or 30% or whatever, in some instances are absurd and out of hand.

(in reply to Jenise)
Post #: 20
RE: NWR. Tipping in USA has become absurd - 5/7/2024 12:02:22 AM   
nwinther

European here. No tipping for I don't know how many years.

If you can't afford to pay your staff, raise the price to what it will take.

I expect staff to give me a correct, professional service, not pretend I'm Louis XIV. I'm there to dine, not have my ego stroked.

This goes for any profession. Be it engineer, plumber, cashier, waiter, teller, chimneysweep or what have you.

The owner will know, who did a good job and - if he knows what's good for him - consider this in regards to that persons' salary.

What I lack in size I make up for in obnoxiousness.

(in reply to Wine Grove)
Post #: 21
RE: NWR. Tipping in USA has become absurd - 5/7/2024 2:18:43 AM   
fanglangzhe

I share the OP's view about tipping culture in the US. It is what it is. And at least for those of us not living in the US, we can take it or leave it. I won't elaborate here since this is a wine forum, but there are other types or categories of US culture that I understand even less than the tipping culture (which are causing much more harm IMO).

(in reply to nwinther)
Post #: 22
RE: NWR. Tipping in USA has become absurd - 5/7/2024 5:02:59 AM   
KPB

Agreed. And part of that culture is that waiters get below-minimum wage because the tip is part of their salary. If I dont tip a waiter, I’m saying that if it was me, they would have been fired today. But I think any tip at or above 10% is already hitting the minimum.

< Message edited by KPB -- 5/7/2024 5:03:21 AM >

Ken Birman

(in reply to fanglangzhe)
Post #: 23
RE: NWR. Tipping in USA has become absurd - 5/7/2024 7:13:27 AM   
wineismylife

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jenise

quote:

ORIGINAL: WineGuyCO

Wow. I absolutely tip when picking up take-out. Not at fast food (which mostly isn't possible anyway) but say I'm getting Chinese food. There are real people in that kitchen making real food with real families at home to take care of. I don't tip as highly in that situation as I do when dining-in, but tip I do. I have enough money to live better than they ever will, the least I can do is share.

Ding Ding Ding! We have a winner. If it is truly a locally owned, independent restaurant with people and their families to feed I absolutely tip. Generously. Matter of fact. I pick up a $10 lunch from a local place I'll stuff $5 minimum into the tip jar. Share the love. I've got plenty and can't take it with me.

Joe

Wine is like potato chips around me...if it's open, it's gone.

MyBlog @ http://www.wineismylife.net/

(in reply to Jenise)
Post #: 24
RE: NWR. Tipping in USA has become absurd - 5/7/2024 10:12:52 AM   
xyc

Restaurants in town charge $100 for sub $20 retail wine. And the tip should be $20 - more than the retail cost. Can't wrap my head around this. You can give reasons for mark up and tip and they make sense in the abstract but tipping the server more than the retail cost is why I avoid restaurants. Spoiled by NJ BYOB where we brought bottles and glasses and tipped well.

(in reply to Eduardo787)
Post #: 25
RE: NWR. Tipping in USA has become absurd - 5/7/2024 11:09:03 AM   
DoubleD1969

My Tipping Policy:
Barbers, nail salon folks > 50% (use them infrequently)
Restaurants 20% excluding wine
Take out %
Kids mowing the lawn 0%
Ice Cream shop $1-2 depending on the size of the scoop 😀

(in reply to xyc)
Post #: 26
RE: NWR. Tipping in USA has become absurd - 5/7/2024 3:52:01 PM   
fingers

Perhaps those automatic tip amounts are only there because too many Americans can't calculate 10% of their bill

It sure has removed much of the sincerity involved in showing appreciation for another's service

(in reply to DoubleD1969)
Post #: 27
RE: NWR. Tipping in USA has become absurd - 5/7/2024 5:32:48 PM   
Ibetian

I agree that “tipable” transactions have unreasonably expanded.

I agree that the European model, where service workers are paid a reasonable salary and the cost of the service is included in the price is better for customers and workers.

But I tip generously at restaurants, especially if I bring an expensive bottle or two. If the bill including corkage is $125, but I brought a 20-year-old Bordeaux worth $250, I might well tip $50. That might be generous based on the bill, but it’s only about $20 or so more than a normal good tip. I’m lucky, an extra $20 doesn’t mean much to me. If I can afford to bring a bottle that would have cost hundreds of dollars to buy from a list if they had it, I can afford to give the server, assuming they do a good job, an extra $20.

If I bring an even more expensive bottle I’ll up the tip more. My lifestyle is not hurt, but I’ve had servers literally chase me down the street to thank me for a tip. That’s a good feeling.

“I was a glutton at the banquet and spilt the finest wine,” Mick Jagger, Wandering Spirit

(in reply to fingers)
Post #: 28
RE: NWR. Tipping in USA has become absurd - 5/8/2024 1:00:39 PM   
wdcwineguys

Sit down restaurants 18%-25%
18% = poor service
20% = the norm
25% = Excellent

I always tip on the pre tax amount. If a restaurant tries to pre-calculate a tip on the post tax amount I always lower my tip.

If I order at a touch pad register I’ve stopped tipping. It’s gotten out of hand. Those employees are not tipped workers and earn a minimum wage. Tipping for servers is because they don’t get paid minimum wage and the tips bring them up to that or above.

I’ve also had it with places that are now defaulting to a 30% / 28% / 25% tip on the touch screen registers. Yes, you can also do a custom tip, but that just shows the business doesn’t respect its customers.

I typically tip housekeeping in a hotel $5-10/day depending on the level of a hotel.
$5-10 for a valet.

(in reply to Ibetian)
Post #: 29
RE: NWR. Tipping in USA has become absurd - 5/9/2024 12:27:45 PM   
BRR

Being a native USA-er, tipping has always been part of life. Sure, it's become worse, but I always chuckle when foreigners get all riled up about it. It's a broken system in which employers aren't paying their workers in certain industries enough. I don't want to open up a new can of worms that has been opened for a long time, many times over.

A trend along the tipping lines that is a tricky one that I'm seeing more and more often: scanning a QR code at a sit-down restaurant to place your orders. Yes, most often the food and drinks are then served by a person, but a big part of (to me) a server earning a nice tip is the interaction upon arrival, checking to see if we need anything, etc. Sure, these types of places aren't your five star fine dining places, but when they ask for a tip, I'm always torn. I will say, at certain places like pubs with food, I rather like the "open" tab, order as you go concept. It does away with flagging down a server when I decide I want another pint. Click, order, and it shows up at my table very shortly thereafter. What do I tip after all is said and done? That's a little tricky.

Cheers!

(in reply to wdcwineguys)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> NWR. Tipping in USA has become absurd Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI