CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

How do you trump the "Perfect Dinner"?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> How do you trump the "Perfect Dinner"? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
How do you trump the "Perfect Dinner"? - 8/29/2010 8:43:58 AM   
Serge Birbrair

This was our 5th get together and I just don't know how to make dinner any better than that.
I am NOT a kind and politically correct person, I call things the way I see them, often to the detriment of the relations,
and I just couldn't find a single bad word about the wines and food served at drycab's place.

We got together at 4:30, NO LATE ARRIVALS despite 45 mins drive and were greeted by 1996 Salon
[list]
  • 1996 Salon Champagne Brut Blanc de Blancs - France, Champagne, Le Mesnil Sur Oger, Champagne (8/29/2010)
    I heard about Salon but never had a pleasure tasting it. Being a Champagne novice I can barely distinguish all the nuances Champagne brings to the table and still I was amazed by the quality, balance, and focus the wine brings. Probably, without exaggeration, the best Champagne I ever had.[/list]

The appetizers were:
    grilled red and yellow peppers marinated one hour in balsamic, olive oil and chicken rub,
    grilled asparagus marinated in balsamic, olive oil and lemon and pepper rub -
    I had to get recipe from BV, Andy's better half, too god to pass
    and the dish I had before but never with the twist I found irresistible:
    bacon wrapped scallops with sliced water chestnuts compliments of Lesley and drycab.
    The water chestnut brings the interesting texture to the dish, win all the way!

The appetizers came along with another 3  perfect bottles:
    [list]
  • 2007 Arkenstone Sauvignon Blanc - USA, California, Napa Valley, Howell Mountain (8/29/2010)
    My first and only question was: "What happened to the noses, where did it go"? The richness of the wine eliminated all other questions, and the bottle was killed in no time.Not being familiar with Napa whites, I found the wine very pleasing, despite the lack of the cat pee nose I got used to with New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc.
  • 2008 Kongsgaard Viorous - USA, California, Napa Valley (8/29/2010)
    Zero oak, very long finish, the joy with no imperfection and the finish longer than my...hair.
  • 2009 Merry Edwards Sauvignon Blanc - USA, California, Sonoma County, Russian River Valley (8/29/2010)
    New Zealand, stand behind. Everything one enjoys in New Zealand SB plus much more. Concentration NZ SB doesn't have, fruitiness NZ SB doesn't have , stony minerals and complexity NZ SB doesn't have,
    I hope this wine won't ruin NZ for me forever. One of the best SB I ever had.[/list]

The mid course consisted of the dish brought by Gabi, wallstreet's better half,
    chicken chunks sauteed with green peas, tomato sauce and secret spice brought all the way from Romania,
    sorry, can't reveal it, I gave my word under oath and
    Chinese duck from Silver Pond, the most authentic Chinese restaurant outside of NY Chinatown.

The wines were

[list]
  • 1989 Camille Giroud Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru Les Cazetiers - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru (8/29/2010)
    Burgundy aged to perfection, perfume nose, fully integrated oak, pure perfection in the bottle.
    Opened and poured, no decanting. Lovely wine. If I had nothing to drink but this Burg for the rest of my life - I'd be content.
  • 1998 Vincent Girardin Corton-Perrières Vieilles Vignes - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Corton Grand Cru (8/29/2010)
    I brought this bottle to share with the experts and to get their opinion as my own was inconclusive 3 months ago. The bottle was slightly murky as was the previous one, and the consensus was - there is nothing wrong with the wine, just let it sleep for couple more years so sediments can attach themselves to the bottle side. If I see more bottles out there - I'll buy.[/list]

and like if this wasn't enough,
    the main course arrived at the table,
    standing pork  roast and standing beef rib roast,
    slowly cooked in charcoal BBQ by drycab and Lesley to perfection
    (even though drycab commented it was slightly overdone, I didn't find it to be so)
    accompanied by one of the best polentas I ever had and drycab assured me that no white wine was used  in recipe,
    despite me tasting it.

The wines were:
    [list]
  • 1989 Comm. G.B. Burlotto Barolo Monvigliero - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo (8/29/2010)
    Decanted for couple hours. Still a teenager as far as longevity is concerned, still lots of fruit and rather firm tannins. The old school at it's best.
  • 1997 Joseph Phelps Insignia - USA, California, Napa Valley (8/29/2010)
    I have nothing to add to wallstreet's TN, he nailed the wine to the dot.
  • 2003 Hundred Acre Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon Kayli Morgan - USA, California, Napa Valley (8/29/2010)
    despite drycab's warning: "You won't like it", I surely did, as wine complimented beef just perfectly. Being poured after 1997 Insignia didn't compliment this youngster one single bit. It will be interesting to revisit this wine 5 years from now.[/list]
    another perfect combination.

5 and a half hours went like a bullet train.

The next get together is at our place and it will take me a while figuring out how can one get anywhere near the level of perfection this dinner was. The bar has been raised and jumping high is all the fun.

The pictures will be added later.
    Word of warning:
    don't play pool with wallstreet, the man is a hustler and I have seen the shots I only saw on TV before!

tsk....
  • Post #: 1
    RE: How do you trump the "Perfect Dinner"? - 8/29/2010 8:57:13 AM   
    musedir

" found the wine very pleasing, despite the lack of the cat pee nose"... now that's a special tasting note that I will remember. Meal sounds heavenly. Thanks for sharing.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Serge Birbrair

This was our 5th get together and I just don't know how to make dinner any better than that.
    I am NOT a kind and politically correct person, I call things the way I see them, often to the detriment of the relations,
    and I just couldn't find a single bad word about the wines and food served at drycab's place.

We got together at 4:30, NO LATE ARRIVALS despite 45 mins drive and were greeted by 1996 Salon
    [list]
  • 1996 Salon Champagne Brut Blanc de Blancs - France, Champagne, Le Mesnil Sur Oger, Champagne (8/29/2010)
    I heard about Salon but never had a pleasure tasting it. Being a Champagne novice I can barely distinguish all the nuances Champagne brings to the table and still I was amazed by the quality, balance, and focus the wine brings. Probably, without exaggeration, the best Champagne I ever had.[/list]

The appetizers were:
    grilled red and yellow peppers marinated one hour in balsamic, olive oil and chicken rub,
    grilled asparagus marinated in balsamic, olive oil and lemon and pepper rub -
    I had to get recipe from BV, Andy's better half, too god to pass
    and the dish I had before but never with the twist I found irresistible:
    bacon wrapped scallops with sliced water chestnuts compliments of Lesley and drycab.
    The water chestnut brings the interesting texture to the dish, win all the way!

The appetizers came along with another 3  perfect bottles:
    [list]
  • 2007 Arkenstone Sauvignon Blanc - USA, California, Napa Valley, Howell Mountain (8/29/2010)
    My first and only question was: "What happened to the noses, where did it go"? The richness of the wine eliminated all other questions, and the bottle was killed in no time.Not being familiar with Napa whites, I found the wine very pleasing, despite the lack of the cat pee nose I got used to with New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc.
  • 2008 Kongsgaard Viorous - USA, California, Napa Valley (8/29/2010)
    Zero oak, very long finish, the joy with no imperfection and the finish longer than my...hair.
  • 2009 Merry Edwards Sauvignon Blanc - USA, California, Sonoma County, Russian River Valley (8/29/2010)
    New Zealand, stand behind. Everything one enjoys in New Zealand SB plus much more. Concentration NZ SB doesn't have, fruitiness NZ SB doesn't have , stony minerals and complexity NZ SB doesn't have,
    I hope this wine won't ruin NZ for me forever. One of the best SB I ever had.[/list]

The mid course consisted of the dish brought by Gabi, wallstreet's better half,
    chicken chunks sauteed with green peas, tomato sauce and secret spice brought all the way from Romania,
    sorry, can't reveal it, I gave my word under oath and
    Chinese duck from Silver Pond, the most authentic Chinese restaurant outside of NY Chinatown.

The wines were

[list]
  • 1989 Camille Giroud Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru Les Cazetiers - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru (8/29/2010)
    Burgundy aged to perfection, perfume nose, fully integrated oak, pure perfection in the bottle.
    Opened and poured, no decanting. Lovely wine. If I had nothing to drink but this Burg for the rest of my life - I'd be content.
  • 1998 Vincent Girardin Corton-Perrières Vieilles Vignes - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Corton Grand Cru (8/29/2010)
    I brought this bottle to share with the experts and to get their opinion as my own was inconclusive 3 months ago. The bottle was slightly murky as was the previous one, and the consensus was - there is nothing wrong with the wine, just let it sleep for couple more years so sediments can attach themselves to the bottle side. If I see more bottles out there - I'll buy.[/list]

and like if this wasn't enough,
    the main course arrived at the table,
    standing pork  roast and standing beef rib roast,
    slowly cooked in charcoal BBQ by drycab and Lesley to perfection
    (even though drycab commented it was slightly overdone, I didn't find it to be so)
    accompanied by one of the best polentas I ever had and drycab assured me that no white wine was used  in recipe,
    despite me tasting it.

The wines were:
    [list]
  • 1989 Comm. G.B. Burlotto Barolo Monvigliero - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo (8/29/2010)
    Decanted for couple hours. Still a teenager as far as longevity is concerned, still lots of fruit and rather firm tannins. The old school at it's best.
  • 1997 Joseph Phelps Insignia - USA, California, Napa Valley (8/29/2010)
    I have nothing to add to wallstreet's TN, he nailed the wine to the dot.
  • 2003 Hundred Acre Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon Kayli Morgan - USA, California, Napa Valley (8/29/2010)
    despite drycab's warning: "You won't like it", I surely did, as wine complimented beef just perfectly. Being poured after 1997 Insignia didn't compliment this youngster one single bit. It will be interesting to revisit this wine 5 years from now.[/list]
    another perfect combination.

5 and a half hours went like a bullet train.

The next get together is at our place and it will take me a while figuring out how can one get anywhere near the level of perfection this dinner was. The bar has been raised and jumping high is all the fun.

The pictures will be added later.
    Word of warning:
    don't play pool with wallstreet, the man is a hustler and I have seen the shots I only saw on TV before!

• quote:

found the wine very pleasing, despite the lack of the cat pee nose

"Fan the sinnking flame of hilarity with the wing of friendship; and pass the rosy wine." Charles Dickens.

(in reply to Serge Birbrair)
    Post #: 2
    RE: How do you trump the "Perfect Dinner"? - 8/29/2010 10:10:56 AM   
    drycab

Lesley and I are honored by your notes. Thank you!

"One not only drinks wine, one smells it, observes it, tastes it, sips it and -- one talks about it!" Edward VII

I wish I had some of that.......
    I did....I drank it.......

(in reply to musedir)
    Post #: 3
    RE: How do you trump the "Perfect Dinner"? - 8/29/2010 10:15:55 AM   
    Serge Birbrair

not as much as I was humbled by the whole experience!

...and now humbled by Alan and his "oak" comments which contradict mine during dinner!

arkenstone DOES HAVE OAK:
    "here is the link , I KNEW I TASTED OAK !!
    https://www.arkenstonevineyard.com//assets/files/2007_Ark_SauvBlanc_TN.pdf
    It is a combination of Oak and S.S."

< Message edited by Serge Birbrair -- 8/29/2010 10:16:36 AM >

tsk....

(in reply to drycab)
    Post #: 4
    RE: How do you trump the "Perfect Dinner"? - 8/29/2010 10:24:32 AM   
    Serge Birbrair

here are the pictures:

http://nocomments.com/Perfect_Dinner/

tsk....

Post #: 5
    RE: How do you trump the "Perfect Dinner"? - 8/29/2010 10:47:14 AM   
    wallstreet

I have to say it is our best CT offline to date! Brad and Lesley out did themselves this time! The food was terrific, not one complaint. The pork and the beef was wonderful.

Not one bad bottle of wine, simply amazing...............

Serge is up to bat, not sure how he is going to top last night.....I think last night is where the bar is set for future events.

The Arkenstone S.B. was so good, I signed up for their list today and promptly bought  two - 3 Paks for fall delivery.

The Salon was one of the best sparklers I have ever had, simply wonderful....Thankfully Brad didn't open up a second one :)

< Message edited by wallstreet -- 8/29/2010 4:45:49 PM >

"One Man Gathers, What Another Man Spills"...Robert Hunter 1968

----
    Wine, Watches And Women....not necessarily in that order

Post #: 6
    RE: How do you trump the "Perfect Dinner"? - 8/29/2010 2:42:23 PM   
    J2K

Looks like a fantastic night among friends, especially the groping photos! 

< Message edited by J2K -- 8/29/2010 2:47:08 PM >

(in reply to wallstreet)
    Post #: 7
    RE: How do you trump the "Perfect Dinner"? - 8/29/2010 3:14:27 PM   
    arcprise

I thought it was going to be group photos, not grope photos!

Seriously, a wonderful evening of fabulous fun, food and libations.

Thanks to Brad and Lesley for being such gracious hosts.

(in reply to J2K)
    Post #: 8
    RE: How do you trump the "Perfect Dinner"? - 8/29/2010 5:35:41 PM   
    Serge Birbrair

We have strict rules against group photos and political discussions!
    :)

tsk....

(in reply to arcprise)
    Post #: 9
    RE: How do you trump the "Perfect Dinner"? - 8/29/2010 6:29:13 PM   
    tacman

So Brad ... Krug '90 or '96 ... your call?

"I'm drinking some wine, eating some cheese, and catching some rays, you know..." - Oddball (Kelly's Heroes)

Post #: 10
    RE: How do you trump the "Perfect Dinner"? - 8/29/2010 7:45:52 PM   
    drycab

Your call, You've drunk a whole lot more quality Champagne than I!

"One not only drinks wine, one smells it, observes it, tastes it, sips it and -- one talks about it!" Edward VII

(in reply to tacman)
    Post #: 11
    RE: How do you trump the "Perfect Dinner"? - 8/29/2010 11:56:52 PM   
    Hollowine

Krug 96 vs Salon 96...the showdown!

(in reply to drycab)
    Post #: 12
    RE: How do you trump the "Perfect Dinner"? - 8/30/2010 12:56:22 AM   
    MindMuse

Nice notes. And nice photo recap.

Even the non-grope photos...

(in reply to Hollowine)
    Post #: 13
    RE: How do you trump the "Perfect Dinner"? - 8/30/2010 4:44:51 AM   
    tacman

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hollowine

So you suggest one of each?

"I'm drinking some wine, eating some cheese, and catching some rays, you know..." - Oddball (Kelly's Heroes)

(in reply to Hollowine)
    Post #: 14
    RE: How do you trump the "Perfect Dinner"? - 8/30/2010 6:12:08 AM   
    drycab

quote:

ORIGINAL: tacman

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hollowine

So you suggest one of each?

We could do that!

(in reply to tacman)
    Post #: 15
    RE: How do you trump the "Perfect Dinner"? - 8/30/2010 3:30:20 PM   
    wadcorp

Dang, Serge. I believe my engraved invitation was lost in the mail.

Hope you weren't thinking that my non-response was a snub.

Seriously, looks like a wonderful time (and some stellar wine).

Like the shots of the vegetarian beef & pork.

"Wine is light held together by moisture."
    — Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer (1564-1642)

Post #: 16
    RE: How do you trump the "Perfect Dinner"? - 8/30/2010 3:37:17 PM   
    drycab

Yea, we're all huge vegetarians!

(in reply to wadcorp)
    Post #: 17
    Page:   [1]
    All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> How do you trump the "Perfect Dinner"? Page: [1]
    Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
    Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
    Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
     Post New Thread
     Reply to Message
     Post New Poll
     Submit Vote
     Delete My Own Post
     Delete My Own Thread
     Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI