CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

The various Gros of Burgundy

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> Wine Data Errors & Corrections >> The various Gros of Burgundy Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The various Gros of Burgundy - 6/4/2006 12:03:42 PM   
andrew

Below is a text detailing the history of the Gros family and their Domaines in Burgundy. In short summary, there are only three producers relevant for current releases :

Domaine Anne Gros.  The most high profile Domaine.

Domaine A.-F. Gros.  Anne-Francoise Gros. This is NOT the same as the above.

Domaine Gros Frere et Soeur .  

The following Appellations are produced by all three : Richebourg Grand Cru, Vosne-Romanée ,Bourgogne Hautes-Côtes de Nuits.

All three also producer a Clos Vougeot Grand Cru, but from different climats : Anne Gros (Le Grand Maupertui), A.-F. Gros (none), Gros Frere et Soeur (Musigni).

Sample images for the most recent label styles for each producer's Richebourg are below.

The long version :

Certain family names show up repeated in Burgundy as the domaines are passed from generation to generation and often divided among the children. One name has caused particular trouble in Cellartrack : Gros, specially Anne, Anne & François, Anne-Françoise and A.-F.

Here is a really quick breakdown of the family :

Gros-Renaudot/ Louis Gros, founder. No wines in CT.
Louis had four children: Jean, François, Gustave and Colette.

This produced three domains :

Jean Gros
François Gros
Gros Frère et Sœur.
(Gustave and Colette)

These domains have also fractured and renamed. (approx. date in parentheses)

Jean Gros (~69 - ~1995) --> Michel Gros  (his son) (1995* - present)
              --> A.-F. Gros (Anne-Françoise Gros, his daughter) (1988 - present)

François Gros  (~69 - ~79**)--> (Anne & François Gros) (1988-1995) --> Anne Gros : (1995-present)In CT, we are currently justing using Domaine Anne Gros.

Gros Frère et Sœur
(~1965 - present) --> n/c  (neither Gustave or Colette*** had children. The wines are made by Bernard Gros, another son of Jean)

Please note that Domaine A.-F. Gros is not the same as Domaine Anne et Francois Gros (sometimes abbreviated A&F Gros.)

*  Approximate date. There are wines labelled as Michel Gros before this time, mostly like negoçiant wines as this practice is common before inheriting. There is also literature which refers to wines labelled Jean and Michel Gros, but I have no direct confirmation.

** There is a gap of wines between 79-88. In ill-health, François sold most of the production to negoçiants.

*** There are wines in CT and referenced elsewhere labelled Colette Gros. Louis died in '51 and Colette may have made wines on her own for a while before the creation of Frère et Sœur in the 60s.

We have made several attempts to sort these producers out in Cellartracker and there has clearly been some confusion as to the actual producer by some entering their wines, particularly between Anne (Anne & Francois)  and A.-F. Gros. If you have holding from either producer, particularly Richebourg, please double-check your actual bottles and confirm your wines are entered on the correct producer.

If you have any questions or corrections to my very brief overview here, please let me know.

A.

Domaine Anne Gros

Domaine A.-F. Gros  (Anne-Francoise Gros)

Domaine Gros Frere et Soeur

< Message edited by andrew -- 3/27/2007 5:46:52 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: The various Gros of Burgundy - 4/22/2007 7:51:46 AM   
eclpm2

Very helpful information, Thanks. I happen to have 2 bottles of A-F Gros Echezaux 1996, so that producer made Echezaux at least that year.

(in reply to andrew)
Post #: 2
RE: The various Gros of Burgundy - 8/26/2011 8:36:16 AM   
mcarpentier

Hi Eric,

For Anne Gros Clos Vougeot there are 2 entries:

Domaine Anne Gros Clos Vougeot (France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Clos Vougeot Grand Cru) (ADD NEW VINTAGE OR WINE BASED ON THIS...) 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006, 2005, 2004, 2003, 2002, 2001, 2000, 1999, 1998, 1997, 1996, 1995, 1994, 1993, 1991
Domaine Anne Gros Clos Vougeot Le Grand Maupertui (France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Clos Vougeot Grand Cru) (ADD NEW VINTAGE OR WINE BASED ON THIS...) 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006, 2005, 2004, 2003, 2002, 2001, 2000, 1999, 1998, 1997, 1996, 1995, 1994, 1993, 1991, 1990, 1989

There is only one cuvée of Clos Vougeot, namely "Le Grand Maupertui". This is substantiated by their website: http://www.anne-gros.com/en/clos-vougeot-grand-cru.html

This means that all the wine definitions of the first line need to be folded into the second line, and subsequently deleted.

Thanks & cheers --Mike

(in reply to eclpm2)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> Wine Data Errors & Corrections >> The various Gros of Burgundy Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI