CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

"Decade"

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> "Decade" Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
"Decade" - 12/20/2009 4:56:24 PM   
Eric

I usually get reflective when I write my end-of-year recap, and that will come in another week or so (along with a pile of screenshots of the new site). However a few recent articles/posts on the web are putting me into the mood a little early.

It seems like a lot of people are blogging and reflecting on the "year of wine" or even the "decade of wine" lately, and CellarTracker is starting to get some mentions. I can understand that, as this site is a phenomenon that continues to build momentum. Five years and one million tasting notes (now actually 1.15 million actually) are both huge milestones we have passed in 2009. That said, as I have long maintained, while this site may have been my idea, at this point CellarTracker is becoming what it is in spite of me and not because of me. It's not about me, my code, my database. It's about YOU, currently ten's of thousands of you actually, who come to the site every time you touch a bottle or think about a bottle or taste a wine. The sheer volume of content you are all creating is formidable and enormously useful to the world of wine lovers. And it will continue to grow, a LOT!

What is a little more uncomfortable for me, and I am not saying this in a folksy, aww shucks way, is that lately I, personally, am getting mentioned. It actually makes me more than a bit uncomfortable. Look, I have an ego, a very healthy one in fact. And I love recognition; who doesn't? However, at heart I'm just a nerd, actually a SERIOUS nerd. I like to make toys with technology, and I love that other people find value in them. And it blows me away when people tell me that CellarTracker has played some small or even large part in helping them to get even more pleasure out of wine. That is the single most motivating thing that gets me out of bed and onto the site every day, about 18 hours a day right now in fact without weekends. (Don't worry, I'll slow down a little bit when I finally get this beta out.)

So, here are the mentions of late. I am not posting this and requesting that you go off and "stuff the ballot box." I just had to get this off my chest, as the whole thing is making me feel a little weird.
Anyway, more reflections in a week. Back to my coding now.

Cheers!
-Eric LeVine

http://twitter.com/cellartracker
http://facebook.com/cellartracker
Post #: 1
RE: "Decade" - 12/20/2009 5:20:02 PM   
clintsf

Congrats Eric! You've created a fun place for us all. Now enjoy the recognition. We sure will.

Clint

(in reply to Eric)
Post #: 2
RE: "Decade" - 12/20/2009 5:36:05 PM   
oskiwawa

Eric and CTers,

Thank you and all the best during the holidays.  I have been collecting and drinking wine for awhile.  Stumbling across CT a couple of years ago has been a a real joy.
This community has added to my appreciation of all who contribute their energy and passion for others.    I may not post much but really do enjoy reading all the comments and recommendations.  I hope everyone enjoys this season and pass on my best wishes and congratulations.

Take care and have fun

(in reply to Eric)
Post #: 3
RE: "Decade" - 12/20/2009 6:20:12 PM   
Paul S

Much congratulations are in order - here's to an even better year in 2010!

(in reply to oskiwawa)
Post #: 4
RE: "Decade" - 12/20/2009 7:28:52 PM   
Eric

Heh, here I am flustered, and the reaction is just "congrats, roll with it!" Clearly I have been overthinking this. Thanks for the dose of reality!

Cheers!
-Eric LeVine

(in reply to Paul S)
Post #: 5
RE: "Decade" - 12/20/2009 8:43:32 PM   
Hollowine

Eric,

If I could discourse for a tiny bit, it will come full circle. My profession is implementing ERP software, and more specifically, we get hired by corporations to teach them how better to perform equipment Maintenance using said software. I work a lot with people that have very little computer aptitude, and one of the things I have to tell their management when I'm presenting our project approach and advocating why we are successful at getting this software to work is that "Software is only a tool" - and it is no different than any other tool in that Mechanic's toolbox...if it helps him do his job, he will use the tool, and if it doesn't help him, it could be the coolest, most expensive tool on earth but it will be left at the bottom of the box, untouched.

My point being, you have created an amazing tool. When I think of the other tools I used to use (Excel, WS Online, eBob, etc) and how almost all of them have been relegated to the bottom of my "toolbox" and now CellarTracker has replaced them all, it is quite an amazing transition. But you don't rest on your laurels, you are working crazy hard to improve the product, you announce a new collaboration just about every 2 months, and when you do find time to post on the Forum, it's always a nice little "cool, Eric's still hanging in the shadows".

Whatever praise CellarTracker earns, embrace it to the degree your ego will allow, but you have earned it; it's not often someone invents a new Tool. Has Vaynerchuk changed the face of wine the past decade?... yes, without a doubt. But without his brand of marketing and salesmanship, he would be nothing more than just another wine store in a sea of wine stores. I learned of CT the same way I would guess most of us do, word of mouth from another satisfied user. ( Just like my caveman ancestor's who saw the guy in the next cave with that cool round thingy... ) The fact you have 5 years of a profitable business, and 1.15M voluntary contributions to your site, and have not been aggressively marketing your "Wonder Tool" says even more about how useful a thing it is.

In the end, these lists are about as controversial as any other list of items. But your name deserves mention, and I think you have changed the wine ecosphere for the better.

(in reply to Eric)
Post #: 6
RE: "Decade" - 12/20/2009 10:05:21 PM   
MindMuse

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hollowine

Eric,

If I could discourse for a tiny bit, it will come full circle. My profession is implementing ERP software, and more specifically, we get hired by corporations to teach them how better to perform equipment Maintenance using said software. I work a lot with people that have very little computer aptitude, and one of the things I have to tell their management when I'm presenting our project approach and advocating why we are successful at getting this software to work is that "Software is only a tool" - and it is no different than any other tool in that Mechanic's toolbox...if it helps him do his job, he will use the tool, and if it doesn't help him, it could be the coolest, most expensive tool on earth but it will be left at the bottom of the box, untouched.

My point being, you have created an amazing tool. When I think of the other tools I used to use (Excel, WS Online, eBob, etc) and how almost all of them have been relegated to the bottom of my "toolbox" and now CellarTracker has replaced them all, it is quite an amazing transition. But you don't rest on your laurels, you are working crazy hard to improve the product, you announce a new collaboration just about every 2 months, and when you do find time to post on the Forum, it's always a nice little "cool, Eric's still hanging in the shadows".

Whatever praise CellarTracker earns, embrace it to the degree your ego will allow, but you have earned it; it's not often someone invents a new Tool. Has Vaynerchuk changed the face of wine the past decade?... yes, without a doubt. But without his brand of marketing and salesmanship, he would be nothing more than just another wine store in a sea of wine stores. I learned of CT the same way I would guess most of us do, word of mouth from another satisfied user. ( Just like my caveman ancestor's who saw the guy in the next cave with that cool round thingy... ) The fact you have 5 years of a profitable business, and 1.15M voluntary contributions to your site, and have not been aggressively marketing your "Wonder Tool" says even more about how useful a thing it is.

In the end, these lists are about as controversial as any other list of items. But your name deserves mention, and I think you have changed the wine ecosphere for the better.

+1  -  Well said.

(in reply to Hollowine)
Post #: 7
RE: "Decade" - 12/21/2009 6:12:10 AM   
TexasWineGeek

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hollowine

Eric,

Ditto, Ditto, Ditto, well said.

Where else can someone from Texas via NYC learn about their hobby from friends all over the world, play Santa's Helper (in spite of Eric's skepticism ) and end up planning a trip to ZAP in January to meet with other CT'ers.  Only on CellarTracker.

Thanks Eric and Happy Holidays, you truly deserve the recognition.

Billy T (TWG)

TWG

Consuming wine in moderation daily will help people to die young as late as possible. ~ Dr Philip Norrie

Too Much Wine and Not Enough Time ~

(in reply to Hollowine)
Post #: 8
RE: "Decade" - 12/21/2009 6:34:56 AM   
Colonel Lawrence

Eric,
In any recap don't forget CT London (where're just about to brave the snow for a pre-Christmas gathering), the CT LBC (we buy a case and share it amongst ourselves, in the name of CT), and of course the Napa wine making cooperative (you'd had better plan tobe at the barrel-sampling in 2012!).
CellerTracker is a great tool, which is growing in ways no-one could have predicted.
Cheers, Seasons Greetings and THANKS.
L.
on behaf of all the London Trackers.

(in reply to Eric)
Post #: 9
RE: "Decade" - 12/21/2009 6:50:30 AM   
GoodToGrape

Eric - I totally agree with the sentiments expressed here.  While the "Com" in Dot Com officially stands for Commercial, your vision has transcended to become a Dot Community.  Thank you!

(in reply to Colonel Lawrence)
Post #: 10
RE: "Decade" - 12/21/2009 9:34:49 AM   
Eric

Thank you so much everyone. And oh goodness but it is actually a popularity contest now: http://www.drvino.com/2009/12/21/wine-person-decade-parker-cellartracker-franzia-sideways/

Gary will wine since he can Tweet out to hundreds of thousands of people. Congrats in advance to Gary, but I guess you can vote for me to try and stay ahead.

Cheers!
-Eric LeVine

(in reply to GoodToGrape)
Post #: 11
RE: "Decade" - 12/21/2009 9:40:31 AM   
pbm

You're in the lead! Clearly because of the picture.

Got my vote. I like the Wine Library but if it went away tomorrow it would be easily replaced. Not so for CT. It's had a bigger impact and it will be a more lasting one.

PBM
The Liver Is Evil It Must Be Punished

(in reply to Eric)
Post #: 12
RE: "Decade" - 12/21/2009 10:39:59 AM   
grafstrb

All very well-deserved, Eric ... you should bask in the glow, as you have worked harder than any of us could possibly imagine in bringing us CT (and the upcoming new UI).  In this day in age, CT is, imo (and many others', as well), the single most valuable asset to wine collectors and afficionados worldwide --- that is not small fries, by any measure. 

Terroir is not a flavor.

(in reply to pbm)
Post #: 13
RE: "Decade" - 12/21/2009 12:42:45 PM   
Eric

quote:

ORIGINAL: pbm

Got my vote. I like the Wine Library but if it went away tomorrow it would be easily replaced. Not so for CT. It's had a bigger impact and it will be a more lasting one.

The complete picture shows me napping at dinner ... right next to Robert Parker?!?

Cheers!
-Eric LeVine

(in reply to pbm)
Post #: 14
RE: "Decade" - 12/21/2009 12:48:04 PM   
pbm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Eric

quote:

ORIGINAL: pbm

The complete picture shows me napping at dinner ... right next to Robert Parker?!?

I remember seeing that. It makes the most complete statement one could make with regard to CT and Parker.

PBM
The Liver Is Evil It Must Be Punished

(in reply to Eric)
Post #: 15
RE: "Decade" - 12/21/2009 1:27:39 PM   
NiklasW

pbm, that's a good one!  Eric, bask in the glory, you made it happen, we are "just" contributors, doin' it because we have been given the chance to by you. Rock!

(in reply to pbm)
Post #: 16
RE: "Decade" - 12/21/2009 5:49:48 PM   
dsGris

Eric,
I have learned more about wine in the 4 months since I found this site than in all the years previous.  The tasting notes and other peoples contributions are invaluable.  All made possible through what you have put together.  I visit other sites on occasion, but return to this one several times daily.  There is I believe a dedicated following and a community of sharing that is a joy to behold.  Have a happy and joyous Holiday Season to you and the rest of the community as well.  Life is good enabled by the fruit of the vine.
Pace, Dennis

DennisG
Granpa Wino

(in reply to NiklasW)
Post #: 17
RE: "Decade" - 12/21/2009 7:00:51 PM   
dougsmith

CT is a gamechanger in the way none of those other options are. It changes the way people understand and interact with their own collections. It changes how people read reviews for wine. It changes how people understand reviews over time. It changes (or will change) how people interact with other wine collectors and reviewers.

It's a big deal.

Doug

(in reply to dsGris)
Post #: 18
RE: "Decade" - 12/21/2009 7:34:31 PM   
brigcampbell

quote:

ORIGINAL: Eric

Thank you so much everyone. And oh goodness but it is actually a popularity contest now: http://www.drvino.com/2009/12/21/wine-person-decade-parker-cellartracker-franzia-sideways/

Gary will wine since he can Tweet out to hundreds of thousands of people. Congrats in advance to Gary, but I guess you can vote for me to try and stay ahead.

You have a 2x lead over Gary who is in second place right now...

Sincerely,

-brig campbell

(in reply to Eric)
Post #: 19
RE: "Decade" - 12/21/2009 10:09:49 PM   
Paul S

Go Eric!

(in reply to brigcampbell)
Post #: 20
RE: "Decade" - 12/22/2009 8:30:43 AM   
nwinther

You got my vote, Eric. When I look at the "contestants" Eric (CT-by-proxy) stands out. Cheap wine and importing cheap wine has existed for decades. Bob made his impact in the 90's or even the 80's, and while Vaynerchuck provides an interesting service with plenty of merit - as someone else said - he's not nearly as "useful" as CT. (After all, he's mainly a taster that provides a video-feed rather than a text note).

What I lack in size I make up for in obnoxiousness.

(in reply to Paul S)
Post #: 21
RE: "Decade" - 12/22/2009 8:56:06 AM   
Vinsant

Eric's got my vote. I'm guessing when they do this in 10 yrs again Eric may be the only name on the list!

(in reply to nwinther)
Post #: 22
RE: "Decade" - 12/22/2009 9:12:30 AM   
fingers

What about Serge?

i think he gave up his spot on the list to allow Eric in 

< Message edited by fingers -- 12/22/2009 9:17:54 AM >

(in reply to Vinsant)
Post #: 23
RE: "Decade" - 12/22/2009 9:20:09 AM   
wadcorp

quote:

ORIGINAL: dougsmith

CT is a gamechanger…

Exactly how I feel.

Eric, you got my vote!

"Wine is light held together by moisture."
— Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer (1564-1642)

(in reply to dougsmith)
Post #: 24
RE: "Decade" - 12/22/2009 2:02:40 PM   
RoundersRob

quote:

ORIGINAL: dougsmith

CT is a gamechanger in the way none of those other options are. It changes the way people understand and interact with their own collections. It changes how people read reviews for wine. It changes how people understand reviews over time. It changes (or will change) how people interact with other wine collectors and reviewers.

It's a big deal.

Exactly what I was about to write.

Congrats Eric.. Looking forward to the new stuff. It's been just do hard to work with this "old stuff" ever since seeing everything first hand a few months ago. ;)

http://twitter.com/RoundersRob
http://facebook.com/RoundersRob

Rob MacKay on CT

(in reply to dougsmith)
Post #: 25
RE: "Decade" - 12/22/2009 2:13:13 PM   
Eric

Rob, trust me I can't wait to get it to you. I have gotten SOOO much done since I showed it to you. Still lots more to do but converging now in a serious way. I can see an end to this actually. At last. Still about 6 more weeks and 3 major milestones for me to hit.

I am going to try and unleash CamTasia on my dev machine in the next few days and capture a demo of real, live code (the wine addition/cart stuff) to post for people, maybe on YouTube? My wife wants me to do a talking head thing too, but I think she is nuts.

Cheers!
-Eric LeVine

(in reply to RoundersRob)
Post #: 26
RE: "Decade" - 12/22/2009 3:25:13 PM   
GalvezGuy

Vote for Eric

We need to show what a force this community is so that other online sites ask Eric for integration.

Burgundy makes you think of silly things; Bordeaux makes you talk about them; Champagne makes you do them.

(in reply to Eric)
Post #: 27
RE: "Decade" - 12/22/2009 4:34:10 PM   
geppetto

I voted for Eric and posted a comment under my real name (Sean Thomson). I use CT everyday and go through withdrawl when I don't get a chance to see what is happening on the site.

(in reply to GalvezGuy)
Post #: 28
RE: "Decade" - 12/22/2009 4:40:55 PM   
Eric

I have to tell you everyone, I am beyond blown away by this. I am humbled by all of the passionate and articulate comments on my behalf. However this shakes out, I am deeply appreciative and honored by what you have all had to say and that my humble creation (well the current site is humble; the new site is freaking awesome and slick) is helping so many to get a bit more out of their wine passion. It is hard for me to put in words what it means to me to read all this stuff, and anyone who knows me can tell you it is pretty much near impossible to render me speechless!

Cheers!
-Eric LeVine

(in reply to geppetto)
Post #: 29
RE: "Decade" - 12/22/2009 4:55:20 PM   
khmark7

Great site Eric...it really has made my wine hobby fun and I really enjoy the forums section as well. Thank you for being such a down to earth site administrator.

(in reply to Eric)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> "Decade" Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI