CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

Loire Valley - winery visits in March?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Loire Valley - winery visits in March? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Loire Valley - winery visits in March? - 1/4/2010 11:44:16 AM   
rumpole

My wife and I will be staying in Brittany with relatives for a couple of weeks in March. I am a fan of the Loire reds, but I am at a loss on quality winery visits in the Loire Valley (I have never been to the Loire). I make wine non-commercially, but am a certified enologist. In a visit to a winery (especially in mid-March), I am a fan of the experience in finding out about the winemaker, the vineyard, the facility-equipment & techniques, as much as the quality of the wine. As I expect only 3-4 days in the Loire, I am looking for suggestions on 3 or 4 wineries to visit. As a fan of Loire reds I expect to visit the Chinon & Saumur areas.
Post #: 1
RE: Loire Valley - winery visits in March? - 1/4/2010 3:18:42 PM   
treetops

It's worth checking but I think that traditionally March time is when a "the Loire" do a load of wine fairs? Still check out these names:

Charles Jouguet
Olga Raffault
Bernard Baudry
Couly-Dutheil
Philippe Alliet

"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" - Benjamin Franklin

(in reply to rumpole)
Post #: 2
RE: Loire Valley - winery visits in March? - 1/4/2010 6:13:47 PM   
Kermadur

Hi Rumpole - welcome to CT forum. Veering a bit off topic, which you will see we do now and then, where will you be in Brittany (which by the way is probably the only region in France that doesn't make wine)?

(in reply to treetops)
Post #: 3
RE: Loire Valley - winery visits in March? - 1/4/2010 6:19:02 PM   
rbazinet

I have no idea what I am talking about, but I would try and go see Nicolas Joly.

(in reply to Kermadur)
Post #: 4
RE: Loire Valley - winery visits in March? - 1/4/2010 9:55:03 PM   
WetRock

Having some Jouguet for the first time recently left me slack jawed.  Do not miss if you can. 

Overall I've found I like Saumur/Saumur-Champigny better than Chinon but it seem the top level wines are better from Chinon it seems.  You can find great value dinner wines from all areas.  

Cris Whetstone

www.wineberserkers.com

(in reply to rbazinet)
Post #: 5
RE: Loire Valley - winery visits in March? - 1/5/2010 12:23:00 AM   
treetops

quote:

ORIGINAL: rbazinet

I have no idea what I am talking about, but I would try and go see Nicolas Joly.

A trip for another day, perhaps? Well worth the visit but he's in Savennieres and makes white (ish!) wine from the chenin blanc grape

"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" - Benjamin Franklin

(in reply to rbazinet)
Post #: 6
RE: Loire Valley - winery visits in March? - 1/5/2010 4:34:42 AM   
rbazinet

To see the "biodynamic approach". To see the cows and perhaps get a glimpse of him putting some manure in a horn and doing some sort of dance. Tasting the wine would be second.

(in reply to treetops)
Post #: 7
RE: Loire Valley - winery visits in March? - 1/10/2010 6:28:11 AM   
PSirah Tampa

I was thinking of taking a trip to the Loire region as well this year as well, but I'm curious about the accessibility of the winery's- do many of them welcome visitors? My experience in France has been that the better places only allow visitors with appointments (and that often takes some help).

Anyone ever visit this region?

I just gotta drink'um faster!

(in reply to rbazinet)
Post #: 8
RE: Loire Valley - winery visits in March? - 1/10/2010 11:30:21 AM   
NiklasW

Check out this site http://www.thewinedoctor.com/tastingsprofile/profilesloire.shtml . I've found a couple of really nice places in the Languedoc based on the Wine Doctor's writings. At least in the Languedoc, the small wineries are really happy to show interested people around the winery and taste through the production.

(in reply to PSirah Tampa)
Post #: 9
RE: Loire Valley - winery visits in March? - 1/11/2010 11:27:02 AM   
treetops

My general experience is that most growers are pretty happy to see you. It's always best to try to make a previous appointment though as these guys have jobs too  There are a number of good websites that give addresses, email, fax etc.

(in reply to NiklasW)
Post #: 10
RE: Loire Valley - winery visits in March? - 12/5/2010 7:52:31 PM   
PSirah Tampa

I finally decided to do a Loire Valley trip; I booked the air today. I really love the Cab. Franc from the region- does anyone know of a good resorce of information on wineries that welcome english speaking visitors?

I just gotta drink'um faster!

(in reply to treetops)
Post #: 11
RE: Loire Valley - winery visits in March? - 12/5/2010 8:43:16 PM   
Kermadur

Don't know of a resource for English, but here is my 2 cents:

Couly-Dutheil is a major producer in the region - I imagine their tasting room folks speak English. It is right in town in Chinon.

Anne Charlotte at Charles Joguet speaks English, and the wine is very good. And there is a good restaurant nearby - Auberge du val de vienne.

And I'm not sure if any English is spoken there, but do try to visit Domaine de la Butte/Domaine de la Taille aux Loups - the two wineries of Jacky Blot. They ususally taste at La Taille aux Loups.

Yannick Amirault's wines are great.

Other than Couly-Dutheil, it may be necessary to make an appointment before visiting. It might be a good idea just to email now and see what kind of response you get.

I HIGHLY recommend Auberge de l'Ile restaurant in L'Ile-Bourchard. Les Annees 30 in Chinon is also very good.

Do you have accomodations lined up?

< Message edited by Kermadur -- 12/5/2010 8:44:50 PM >

(in reply to PSirah Tampa)
Post #: 12
RE: Loire Valley - winery visits in March? - 12/8/2010 4:36:31 PM   
Kermadur

Bump for PSirah Tampa.

(in reply to Kermadur)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Loire Valley - winery visits in March? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI