CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

RE: A running list of issues seen with GrapeStores...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> CellarTracker Support >> RE: A running list of issues seen with GrapeStores... Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: A running list of issues seen with GrapeStores... - 2/28/2010 8:46:38 PM   
gestep

Even though this has been resolved I thought I'd throw in a quick +1 on this issue just in case you are keeping track of any usability metrics.  I can to this thread specifically looking for a comment, and resolution to this very question.

--
Greg Estep

(in reply to Eric)
Post #: 91
RE: A running list of issues seen with GrapeStores... - 2/28/2010 8:49:15 PM   
Eric

quote:

ORIGINAL: gestep

Even though this has been resolved I thought I'd throw in a quick +1 on this issue just in case you are keeping track of any usability metrics.  I can to this thread specifically looking for a comment, and resolution to this very question.

Greg, sorry, which has been resolved. There are so many issues swirling I just want to know which one you were referring to...

Cheers!
-Eric LeVine

http://twitter.com/cellartracker
http://facebook.com/cellartracker

(in reply to gestep)
Post #: 92
RE: A running list of issues seen with GrapeStores... - 2/28/2010 8:57:29 PM   
gestep

quote:

ORIGINAL: Eric

quote:

ORIGINAL: gestep

Greg, sorry, which has been resolved. There are so many issues swirling I just want to know which one you were referring to...

Sorry, I noticed that I posted a simple "reply" instead of  "quoting" the original message.  I was trying to fix fix it before it got caught, but was too slow.  Besides, I thought you were supposed to be eating a nice steak instead of reading forum posts?

I was initially referring to this:

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Barnet

Hi,

Sorry if I'm just missing something obvious here... One of the best things about CT for me was opening the home page and seeing all the TNs written on wines in my cellar.

Is it possible to have that view on the home page? Maybe it is, I just don't see how.

Thanks,

Barnet

Barnet, on your home page, in the popular wines tab change to RECENTLY REVIEWED and then TASTING NOTES ON MY WINES ONLY. That will 'stick' for you.

(in reply to Eric)
Post #: 93
RE: A running list of issues seen with GrapeStores... - 2/28/2010 11:28:18 PM   
Eric

I had the steak. Drinking my 82 Pichon Lalande. Now back to work.

Gotcha. Yes a workaround is posted above, but I need to shortly post a code change to adjust the default for those users with wines in their cellar.

Cheers!
-Eric LeVine

(in reply to gestep)
Post #: 94
RE: A running list of issues seen with GrapeStores... - 3/1/2010 12:07:44 AM   
Palmiet

There is apparently NO WAY to add a new producer IF THE COUNTRY is set
to GERMANY.
The "add a new producer" link is missing in the pop-up window.
The same is true for designation and probably for other entry fields as well.

As I am located in Germany and I am consuming mostly our wines this is
really a MUST for me to be solved asap.

Thanks for taking this as a priority issue.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
"Ob das übermässige trinken schlecht ist, weiss ich nicht" (Vincent van Gogh)

(in reply to Eric)
Post #: 95
RE: A running list of issues seen with GrapeStores... - 3/1/2010 12:11:35 AM   
Eric

Creating a wine from scratch is a bit crippled. If you insist on doing that then set a type, a variety and a local first.

Alternatively, search for ANY German wine from your region, and use the option to copy and create a new wine based on that.

Cheers!
-Eric LeVine

(in reply to Palmiet)
Post #: 96
RE: A running list of issues seen with GrapeStores... - 3/1/2010 12:13:40 AM   
Eric

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: PSUSteve

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: petitblanc

After saving a search, I am taken to a blank page.

What browser are you in?

I have had the same problem on both searches I saved. I am using IE8.

Wow, cool and gnarly bug of the day. In JQuery 1.3 the submit event can't be dynamically trapped in IE: http://api.jquery.com/live/#typefn
I have a workaround I am going to post shortly, but this glitch might be causing all manner of bugs in IE. Going to do a deeper code review.
The good news is that JQuery 1.4 is out and fixes this. I was holding off moving, but I think this gives me very strong impetus.

Quickie code review shows I am using this event for:
  • Saved searches
  • Bulk actions such as drinking and relocating from the individual bottle screen. Bulk tagging of wines.
  • Adding food tags.
  • Much of the label image functionality such as tagging vintages or removing an image.
  • Changing note display options (toggling whether or not to show score-only notes)
  • Posting a public message
  • Toggling to individual bottle display
  • All of the advanced search popup forms
Now several of these work out OK since they intend to submit the form and do a full-page refresh. Nonetheles, this was a great catch. IE-specific.

Time to move to JQuery4.

OK, this should be fully fixed now.

Cheers!
-Eric LeVine

(in reply to Eric)
Post #: 97
RE: A running list of issues seen with GrapeStores... - 3/1/2010 12:54:01 AM   
dsGris

This is just a observation/request and maybe it has been done. In CT the Wine List defaulted to Alphabetical listing making it hard to find a wine. I found it easier by vintage most of the time and would toggle that, but it would not stick. D

DennisG
Granpa Wino

(in reply to Eric)
Post #: 98
RE: A running list of issues seen with GrapeStores... - 3/1/2010 1:14:31 AM   
rjsmall

This isn't so much a bug as a display issue one which I haven't been able to find an option for (I may well have missed it). When I go to "In My Cellar" view (http://www.grapestories.com/list.asp?table=List) the cost of the wines are all rounded to whole numbers which I find slightly annoying (okay - more than slightly otherwise I wouldn't have posted) In the view of the wines themselves it shows the correct purchase price.

Is there an option to make the cellar view display the actual rather than the rounded price?

It is taking me a while to get used to the new interface and where info is located (took me a while to find purchase details) but when I do work out where they are it does make sense - if I was coming to it fresh rather than from old CT then I think it would be very logical. The more I use the new interface the more it grows on me and I am starting to enjoy using it after initial frustration. It seems to me that Eric has put a lot of thought into where the info sits and how it is layered.

rjsmall.

(in reply to dsGris)
Post #: 99
RE: A running list of issues seen with GrapeStores... - 3/1/2010 1:26:51 AM   
Eric

quote:

ORIGINAL: dsGris

This is just a observation/request and maybe it has been done. In CT the Wine List defaulted to Alphabetical listing making it hard to find a wine. I found it easier by vintage most of the time and would toggle that, but it would not stick. D

No, that will not stock. So use the saved search menu and call up that view.

Cheers!
-Eric LeVine

(in reply to dsGris)
Post #: 100
RE: A running list of issues seen with GrapeStores... - 3/1/2010 1:32:24 AM   
Eric

quote:

NEXT UP tonight:
  • I will add a new default to the POPULAR WINES box on the homepage and wines landing page. IF you have wines in your cellar the site will default to showing you notes from other users on wines in your cellar. This is probably the #1 issue that people are running into. (Not realizing that it is just not the default.) In general I will be cleaning this up as well to add a more/less toggle to let you see more notes, maybe just a couple of lines per note, but with easy inplace toggle to lengthen a note.
  • Will try to sort out the dialog positioning to always keep them onscreen.
  • A bottle of 1989 Haut Brion and a steak. I need a treat. It has been a long, tiring, exciting and challenging few days.

OK, I didn't get to any of these. Instead found a workaround for a horrid Safari bug causing a crash when expanding and collapsing the page navigation tool. Fixed new vintage creation of wines. And sorted out 6 or 8 IE specific bugs by dropping in a new scripting framework. Oh, and I am a  bit too beaten down to splurge on 89 Haut Brion. I will pop one of those when I do enough engineering to get most of you to be happier. I went with 82 Pichon Lalande instead.

Cheers!
-Eric LeVine

(in reply to Eric)
Post #: 101
RE: A running list of issues seen with GrapeStores... - 3/1/2010 6:16:30 AM   
pvdjr

I have noticed that when i click on links that take you away from GC- like links to this forum and links to "where to buy"  sometimes it opens a new tab and sometimes it navigates away from GS in the same tab.  (I'm using latest version of firefox)

I believe that CT always opened up Where to buy in a new tab.  forgive me if I'm an idiot and this is a setting in firefox, but the behavior seems a little erratic.
I would prefer that GS always stay as a tab, and any sites that navigate away pop up in a new tab.

Thanks
PvD

(in reply to Eric)
Post #: 102
RE: A running list of issues seen with GrapeStores... - 3/1/2010 8:04:24 AM   
masi3v

So my only problem:  I can not access the new site from work!  The old CT is still there, but the new one is blocked (Alcohol--I work for the city school district).  So I have two questions: 1. Once the 'new site' becomes the only site, will it be on the same url as the 'old site'?  2. If not, how long will the old site remain operational?

I really like being able to browse my 'cellar' from work.  Being able to think about what I will be drinking that night is the only thing that gets me through the last few hours of the day!

“Je ne peux vivre sans Champagne, en cas de victoire, je le mérite ; en cas de défaite, j’en ai besoin.” -- Napoléon Bonaparte

Blog Link:The Drunken Cyclist

(in reply to pvdjr)
Post #: 103
RE: A running list of issues seen with GrapeStores... - 3/1/2010 9:15:12 AM   
JOJ

Eric:

In "My Cellar," I would like to see an option that displays wines in the cellar plus those pending delivery. CT defaulted to this view for me, but I can't figure how to get it in WS. I see the "In My Cellar" option, and the "Pending Delivery" option, but I can't figure out how to combine them.

Thanks. Appreciate the opportunity to give feedback.

Jim

(in reply to gestep)
Post #: 104
RE: A running list of issues seen with GrapeStores... - 3/1/2010 10:34:11 AM   
mocamro

something else I noticed...when you are looking at "my cellar", the wines do not have region/appellation under the name...it is now replaced by variety...I do see that when I click on a wine, the location info pops up on the right box, but for me, appellation info would be more useful instead of variety, especially since many wines are labeled by variety...I would find this vary helpful for browsing someone else's cellar, as I can get a quick idea of the regions that they are drinking

Milos Cam-Robb

(in reply to JOJ)
Post #: 105
RE: A running list of issues seen with GrapeStores... - 3/1/2010 10:35:42 AM   
TimmyR

quote:

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: PSUSteve

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: petitblanc

After saving a search, I am taken to a blank page.

What browser are you in?

I have had the same problem on both searches I saved. I am using IE8.

Wow, cool and gnarly bug of the day. In JQuery 1.3 the submit event can't be dynamically trapped in IE: http://api.jquery.com/live/#typefn
I have a workaround I am going to post shortly, but this glitch might be causing all manner of bugs in IE. Going to do a deeper code review.
The good news is that JQuery 1.4 is out and fixes this. I was holding off moving, but I think this gives me very strong impetus.

Quickie code review shows I am using this event for:
  • Saved searches
  • Bulk actions such as drinking and relocating from the individual bottle screen. Bulk tagging of wines.
  • Adding food tags.
  • Much of the label image functionality such as tagging vintages or removing an image.
  • Changing note display options (toggling whether or not to show score-only notes)
  • Posting a public message
  • Toggling to individual bottle display
  • All of the advanced search popup forms
Now several of these work out OK since they intend to submit the form and do a full-page refresh. Nonetheles, this was a great catch. IE-specific.

Time to move to JQuery4.

OK, this should be fully fixed now.

Still having the problem with the blank page after saving a query. I'm using IE8.
Btw, great work on the new site, Eric!

(in reply to Eric)
Post #: 106
RE: A running list of issues seen with GrapeStores... - 3/1/2010 11:34:43 AM   
TimmyR

When uploading an image for a wine, but having to set it as a different vintage (e.g. I have a 2008 in my cellar and upload the image of the 2006, which is inexistant in the CT database), I get a page saying "Vintage successfully set!". I'm not redirected to the wine as initialy uploaded the image for.

Hope this is clear to you, Eric...

(in reply to gestep)
Post #: 107
RE: A running list of issues seen with GrapeStores... - 3/1/2010 11:39:15 AM   
gladstone

adding a producer, the new name is restricted to this length "Barone di S. Giusepp" - i had to use the old UI to add the full name

but in general, the new UI is much improved, much easier to focus on the info - great work!
ben

(in reply to TimmyR)
Post #: 108
RE: A running list of issues seen with GrapeStores... - 3/1/2010 12:13:48 PM   
bretrooks

Two small items I noticed today, possibly non-issues:

1) I can't find where to toggle the display of score-only tasting notes. (I expected this to be in the My Profile / Display Settings area but didn't see it there or anywhere I looked. User error? Not exposed yet?)

2) The "score-only notes" toggle setting does not appear to be consistent across pages: Score-only notes are shown on the "My Tasting Notes" page, but not in the "Recently Reviewed" box on the home page.

P.S.  Try not to feel too beaten down...GS looks great and I'm enjoying it very much. Thanks for all your hard work!

(in reply to gladstone)
Post #: 109
RE: A running list of issues seen with GrapeStores... - 3/1/2010 12:16:33 PM   
ssimpsonjr

Not sure if this was mentioned yet ...

I searched for a wine in the database by producer.  Then I went to narrow the results using vintage.  I put the same year in 'oldest' and 'newest'.  It searched and then returned all the wines in My Cellar under in that years vintage, as opposed to narrowing the original list.

(in reply to gladstone)
Post #: 110
RE: A running list of issues seen with GrapeStores... - 3/1/2010 5:03:08 PM   
bg3034

More of a suggestion than an issue -- I like the bulk wine edit function. Somewhere else, I saw this described as a "shopping cart" where you select all of your wines, then can input the details for all at once, which saves some repetition of data entry. Unfortunately (unless I'm missing something), you can only bulk edit those wines that came up in your initial search that you then checked, so it's not a true "shopping cart" equivalent. If we could have the "cart" function where you can search for wines in multiple searches, adding the individual wine to the "cart" each time, and then go enter the details at once, that would be a wonderful addition.

Thanks for all of your hard work Eric.

(in reply to ssimpsonjr)
Post #: 111
RE: A running list of issues seen with GrapeStores... - 3/1/2010 6:59:53 PM   
rosengoo

Hi Eric,
One more question as I don't see a NYI link on it. On my main page when I click on the number of "My Friends" or "My Fans", nothing happens. are those links not yet set up?
Thanks once more.

(in reply to dbp)
Post #: 112
RE: A running list of issues seen with GrapeStores... - 3/1/2010 8:22:22 PM   
Eric

quote:

ORIGINAL: bg3034

More of a suggestion than an issue -- I like the bulk wine edit function. Somewhere else, I saw this described as a "shopping cart" where you select all of your wines, then can input the details for all at once, which saves some repetition of data entry. Unfortunately (unless I'm missing something), you can only bulk edit those wines that came up in your initial search that you then checked, so it's not a true "shopping cart" equivalent. If we could have the "cart" function where you can search for wines in multiple searches, adding the individual wine to the "cart" each time, and then go enter the details at once, that would be a wonderful addition.

Click MY CELLAR. Click the ADD WINE button. On that screen you can do iterative searches and build up a cart.
If you do a regular search on the site and use the bulk edit to select some wines those can then be "tossed" at a given operation much as if you built up a cart, but you are correct that this is not iterative.

Cheers!
-Eric LeVine

(in reply to bg3034)
Post #: 113
RE: A running list of issues seen with GrapeStores... - 3/1/2010 8:25:40 PM   
Eric

quote:

ORIGINAL: rosengoo

Hi Eric,
One more question as I don't see a NYI link on it. On my main page when I click on the number of "My Friends" or "My Fans", nothing happens. are those links not yet set up?
Thanks once more.

It is a missed NYI of the NYI.

Cheers!
-Eric LeVine

(in reply to rosengoo)
Post #: 114
RE: A running list of issues seen with GrapeStores... - 3/1/2010 8:26:27 PM   
bg3034

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: bg3034

Click MY CELLAR. Click the ADD WINE button. On that screen you can do iterative searches and build up a cart.
If you do a regular search on the site and use the bulk edit to select some wines those can then be "tossed" at a given operation much as if you built up a cart, but you are correct that this is not iterative.

Works perfectly. Thanks very much. Will be much easier and faster to enter mixed cases.

(in reply to Eric)
Post #: 115
RE: A running list of issues seen with GrapeStores... - 3/2/2010 1:00:45 AM   
Tokyo MB

Having logged onto Grape Stories for the first time, I have tried updating my profile and receive the following error messages when I try to save:

Validation Note: The name 'tokyo mb' is already in use.

and at the foot of the page the following eror message:

Microsoft VBScript runtime error '800a000d' Type mismatch: 'Server.HTMLEncode' /editprofile.asp, line 491

Any ideas?  NB I went back to Cellar Tracker and made the same update to my profile without any problems.

< Message edited by Tokyo MB -- 3/2/2010 1:10:23 AM >

(in reply to gestep)
Post #: 116
RE: A running list of issues seen with GrapeStores... - 3/2/2010 2:35:02 AM   
rjsmall

I think this may have been mentioned on another thread but I am finding the display of delivered versus undelivered wines confusing. (Eric - you're doing a great job not only fixing bugs but also picking up issues posted across many threads on the forum)

The “In My Cellar” page with the “Wine Summary” view I can see no differentiation between bottles that have been received versus bottles pending delivery. (whereas the old CT interface show pending deliveries in brackets) Switching the Page Display Settings to the “Individual Bottles” shows the bottles as “Pending” and the “Total Collection” count at the bottom of the page shows the number of bottles in stock and the number pending delivery. My pending deliveries are generally en primeur wines so I don’t think these should show as a regular bottle “In My Cellar” until such time they have been delivered (when I use the accept delivery option)

Any chance of getting the bracket back around the wines pending delivery in the “Quantity” field or some marker on wines pending delivery for the “Wine Summary” view?

Cheers,

rjsmall

(in reply to Tokyo MB)
Post #: 117
RE: A running list of issues seen with GrapeStores... - 3/2/2010 11:25:37 AM   
gladstone

useability suggestion rather than bug: from my cellar, to view wines at one location and then at another takes several clicks - a drop down selector for location would be much easier

also, i can't find a way to rename a cellar location

-ben

(in reply to rjsmall)
Post #: 118
RE: A running list of issues seen with GrapeStores... - 3/2/2010 11:39:40 AM   
YoDaddyO

quote:

ORIGINAL: gladstone

useability suggestion rather than bug: from my cellar, to view wines at one location and then at another takes several clicks - a drop down selector for location would be much easier

also, i can't find a way to rename a cellar location

-ben

After i have come across like a sour puss...can't believe i'm responding but here goes...

I suppose it's 3clicks if you click "narrow results" - location - "pick from list"

I actually like this feature better as it is contained as part of my list rather than a separate "Report" Section.

Separately...i tried to create a new location while adding multiple wines and it created it for the first wine but it didn't add it to the location pick list for subsequent wines

DaddyO

Wine is a constant proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. -Benjamin Franklin

"They give you a round bat and they throw you a round ball. And they tell you to hit it square."-Willie Stargell

(in reply to gladstone)
Post #: 119
RE: A running list of issues seen with GrapeStores... - 3/2/2010 1:19:15 PM   
Eric

quote:

ORIGINAL: YoDaddyO
Separately...i tried to create a new location while adding multiple wines and it created it for the first wine but it didn't add it to the location pick list for subsequent wines

This was on the bulk purchase screen (step 3 after the shopping cart). Yes I need to make it so that if you Add a Location to one dropdown it shows up on all the others. A little tricky scripting but will be done.

Cheers!
-Eric LeVine

(in reply to YoDaddyO)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> CellarTracker Support >> RE: A running list of issues seen with GrapeStores... Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI