• Black Cat 101 (Undisclosed Italian Location in NY, NY): I first had this one shortly after the release, and we’ve been following the development of this one for a while now :-)
    This time, we decided to put it on a solo show for starter. Goldish yellow, remains more on the bright gold side. Dry compare to other champs (which I like a lot) ,oak and fruits, or as one of the tasters said “glory in a bottle!”. Since this is the sixth time I’m having this one, I can’t really a lot more compared to previous notes, but I can certainly reinforce previous ones. Dry side champ, oak and fruits in first touch, more peach and lemon this time. Nice, long bubbles bubbles with long finish. We got few more of those in 2013, and I guess I under estimated how good this one would be because I believe we’re down to one or two bottles left, while this champagne still has years ahead of it to live and be enjoyable.

So, to sum- consistent with previous notes. Probably the most reliable champagne I can think of.

Vote by the bottle- empty bottle. Too bad we're running low on this one.

• Great mousse. This was delicious with sushi. Very full body, lemon , hint of red fruit and brioche. Nice rich finish. Balanced but rich.

• Cepages Holiday Tasting: Champagne & Riesling (New York City): Drank at Cepages holiday tasting. Seemed a bit oxidized on opening. Lots of toast and biscuit on the nose. Quite yeasty, nutty & lots of caramel (denoting this oxidized style). Seemed like more than a 50/50 blend to me, as I found pinot to be predominant. Medium bodied, very creamy and fairly rich. Well made champagne but not my favored style.

• Once again, Champ of the night. This time, standing for a good 'fight' alongside eight other bubbly bottles.
    As always, goldish yellow, more on the bright gold side. Dry ,oak and fruits. Very consistent with previous notes. Probably the most reliable champagne I can think of. It does need few minutes to open up (maybe even longer than last year). Great champagne a bit more on the dry side.

(94-95. To date three times 94, twice 95)

• A Randy Birthday (The Straits Wine Company @ UE Square): Appearance is clear, pale intensity, yellow gold colour, fine bubbles, medium effervescence.
    Nose is clean, medium+ intensity, with aromas of toast, biscuit, and citrus lemon. Developing.
    On the palate, dry style, high acidity, medium alcohol, medium body, medium finish. Flavours of toast, biscuit and citrus lemon. Citrus fruit becomes a bit richer and slightly creamy with more air.
    Very good quality. Will improve with further ageing. Easy drinking now.

• 1st pour(chill ),i didnt like the bubbles.rather coarse.decide to let it slightly warmer.gets much better.bubbles gets softer.revealing more rich fruits.gd intensity.showing elegance.wud like tis bttl to have more mineral support for the richness of fruits

• Champer's Night (Old Airport Road): Appearance is clear, pale intensity, yellow gold colour, fine bubbles, medium effervescence.
    On the palate, dry style, high acidity, medium body, medium finish. Flavours of toast, biscuit and citrus lemon continue. Elegant and understated.
    50% Pinot Noir, 50% Chardonnay.

• Delicious. Deep blonde lager colour with fine bubbles that lasted forever. Candied lemon and yeasty brioche on the nose. Very aromatic and pleasant. Rich and creamy on the palate, with well balanced acidity. Finish was long. Highly recommend.

• Only 9 months since the last bottle, but much less focused. A woody musty note that suggests, while not obviously flawed, this may not have been a keeper. Still GV from the cellar door.

• The team requested, and I was too weak to say no... what a wonderful champagne. Consistent with all my previous notes, on the dry side, long finish, ref. point champagne. For the rest of the details, please refer to the notes from 2012 and 2013. :-)

Planning to make an effort to save a bottle for 2022. Best route would be to send it to storage, or else I'd be tempted again :-)

(after all, we did open four bottles in a year)

• Third time testing this year... Even better.
    Had it with FT friends at pdh. A great starter for the evening and won over the '99 vranken.
    I've been considering this one as 95 pts for a while and now it's to update the score. Best classic all around champagne on the 'dry' side. See previous notes regarding color taste and finish. Splendid, stable, supurb, a wow champagne. No wonder I use it as my reference point's champagne.
    Note: I am not sure about the reason previous users said enjoy only through 2018. It will last longer. You know what? I'd (do my best to) put aside one of the three I have left through 2022. Assuming good health, I'd be happy to prove them wrong :-)

Edited (Jan-26-2014): This one won the Champ of the year 2013 in our 'rating'. It was also WOTY (all over) for at least one rater.

• Fresh yet deep richness coming from the extended lees, delicious well worth buying and storing away

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes - No / Comments (1)

• This is the second time I tasted it in two weeks, and the third bottle I had (two were from my cellar). The color is goldish yellow, more on the bright gold side. Dry and you can smell the oak and fruits in first touch. Very nice bubbles with long finish, staying for a long period (15+min, and still stable and consistent flow). I enjoy the taste of the Oak (light in the background) and fair disclosure- natural weakness to the pierre paillard product. Bottom line: I ordered few more bottles. Actually, the few more is almost a case (they had 10 left with one of the places, so I just took them)

• Yello-gold color and small, consistent bubbles. Well stable taste throughout the tasting. We had the bottle brought to a wine tasting, and the owner of the place also had the pleasure of tasting it. I agree with the previous tasting note, indeed " Clean nose of hay, biscuit, citrus - complex and evolved." I do think it can even mature abit more in the cellar, so I'd keep the last bottle for next year for additional testing... Medium to full bodied, and great companion to a fresh cheese platter (best), or light grilled veggies.
    Fair disclosure- I always had a small 'weakness' to Pierre Paillard. I think it is one of the best small champagne wineyards out there. In relation to the 2004 Brut, I think the 2002 is more on the 'dry' side, and I personally find the bubbles to be more stable/last longer on the 2002.

• Light gold in colour with small and persistent bubbles - mousse settled quickly to a fine rim. Clean nose of hay, biscuit, citrus - complex and evolved. Dry with biscuit and citrus flavours along with some mushroom - fully mature. Not fully knitted (just seems a touch disjointed) yet but delicious. Rather more full bodied than I expected - it does have weight on the palate. The finish is medium in length with the palate flavours continuing and a hit of cleansing acidity to clean things up at the end.

• Medium-light yellow, medium effervescence. Delicious nose of dough, sweet ripe fruit. More sweet ripe fruit, some pop rock like chemical sweet/tart. Finish medium-long, very pleasing.

• Paglierino dorato, perlage fine, abbastanza abbondante, persistente. Al naso tiglio, albicocca, nespola, note leggermente ossidative e vinose. Bocca rigorosa, quasi austera, lungo il finale che evoca il cedro

• Mother's Day Weekend Champagnes (San Francisco): Medium yellow. Frothy. Strawberries on both the nose and palate. Medium weight, good length, nice tartness on the finish. Very, very good.

• Celebrating a new name for Chain Bridge Cellars! (Chain Bridge Cellars, McLean, VA): absolutely delightful. fresh and full around the mouth; very expressive and a beautiful way to start a tasting.

• Good, nice yellow colour, beautiful sparkling from the bottom of the glass,