• A follow-up to my note posted 8/12.

Finally finished this bottle. It had been open in the fridge for the past 17 months, with occasional visits in between. Very consistent over that time... I'd say my notes from 2012 still accurately describe what's in the bottle. Great uniqueness and complexity. Such an interesting beast. I have another unopened bottle and look forward to yet another lengthy exploration. Would repurchase this special elixir without hesitation. Hard to imagine a better wine of this type, but I've left room in the score just in case.

As a side note: On this particular night it was the post-Sauternes finisher to a wine dinner with fellow winos and a winemaker. Impressions ranged from "nectar of the gods" to "prune juice" to "WTF?" The wife is in the "prune juice" camp. It's all mine.

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes - No / Comment

• Didn't really know what to expect with this wine, but when i found a sticky sediment in my cellar and traced it back to this bottle, I decided it was time to open and consume. The Plata didn't seem affected by the loss of containment. It's a heavy wine with a turgid personality that is a mouthful whether you like it or not. If you like that sort of thing, the Plata is a great example and worthy of praise. If your taste runs more toward subtlety than overt expression, like mine, you can still appreciate this in the same way a Pug owner appreciates a classic Great Dane: as a great example of Dog. I give it a 96 for what it is and an 88 for what I like in wine. Consensus 91.

• Opened literally months ago, and came back to it at irregular intervals. It is as other tasters describe, pretty much; but I found it just a little much. Though it's got lively acidity, the raisin & caramel sweetness, and heck, possibly just the amplitude of flavor, made it a touch cloying/fatiguing for me - though I can completely understand that it'd translate to high-volume excitement to others. I'm in no hurry to open my other bottle.

• My first 100 points wine, unbelievable. Drank it over 1 week.

• I can't begin to say how disappointed I am. In myself. For some reason which defies explanation, I bought only one of this offering from Jon at Garagiste. As is our custom for a decade or so at NYE, we gather with our close friends for food and drink to ring in the new year. I have become the supplier of the evening's dessert wine by some quirk of habit. I search for an interesting and unique bottle all year long, from Tawny to Tokaji.
    This PX blew everyone away. Raisins, caramel, coffee on the nose and palate. Thick and viscous, luscious and rich, beauty in a glass. Paired with slightly-sweet Guinness chocolate cake. It was, in a word, perfection.

Do you find this review helpful? Yes - No / Comments (1)

• Redguy is spot on

• Unique, at least to me. Don't know what the hell to compare it to but it was excellent. Prunes for sure. Coffee and toffee. Guess some plantains too. Thick Kuhula like consistency. Feels cloying yet never actually cloys... surprisingly good acidity keeps this relatively bright inspite of its sticky hulk-like nature. Somewhat addictive yet hard to drink more than a small glass. Conundrums in a bottle. This particular one's already been open for a month in the refer... and it's improved. Guess this takes a few weeks to open. We'll see where it goes from here.

• rounded edges, raisins galore!