• Hour decant...solid wine...but expected more given price point and past experience...will wait on the others I have resting.

• Late summer gathering with friends.: Dark purple. Really nice nose of flowers and black cherry. Remarkable fruit on the palate with hints of mineral. Tannins well integrated. Wished for a longer finish, but really nice wine. WOTN for me.

• Smokey nose with black cherry flavor profile. Somewhat chocolately over time. Mineral. Lots of layers and complexity. I question the qpr at $175.

• Palate coating--rich with tons of candied cherry and hints of tobacco coming through along with fantastic structure. A joy to drink. Still humming nicely on day 2 with a bit more minerality poking out on the nose.

• Great wine. A little expensive though

• A little different than the last bottle but no better and in fact less going on...almost red water. I poured the last of it out after 6 hours in a decanter. Based on everyone elses reviews, either these are bad bottles or UPS killed them on the way here last February.

• Tart and nowhere near ready to drink. Splash Decanted for over 3 hours and still tart and unfriendly. There's more there and it will be good, I think, but just not yet.

• Great deep color, complex, very smooth with pleasant extended finish. Larry is a passionate and dedicated wine maker with a beautiful homey estate. I bought all of his vintages after tasting this one.

• After tasting the 2009 Sigaro with Larry Fairchild, I could not agree more with 'wittkoje's tasting notes below. This is a very, very special wine and I felt that it had a perfectly balanced combination of tannins and acidity that resulted in an extremely complex and long-lasting finish - even at this young age. I will save my bottles for very special occasions.

• Third go with this bottle. The dessert brought out a seriously intense green pepper note on this, otherwise it was its usual powerhouse of red fruit flavors without heaviness or intrusive oak. This is a delicious wine but I was stricken by the green pepper note that I've never experienced before with it. Usually hate that but it works for this wine.

• Very nice but not worth three times the price of many of my cellared wines. Keep other two bottles for several years

• larry fairchild is making my favorite cabernets in california. yes this is a bold statement, but these wines so compellingly express everything i desire in a napa cabernet - noble and firm, yet elegant, harmonious, and pure.

last year i experienced the '08 sigaro on multiple occasions as well as the '05, and the characteristics of this site, once again, come to the fore in 2009.

decanted 2.5 hours and continuing its evolution in the glass. a lively, deep purple core with burnt crimson edge. at first inspection, the nose unveils the telltale sigaro mineral and soil characteristics packed into a bowl of freshly picked, dark cherries. cedar, bakers chocolate, subtle bay leaf, and tobacco add additional layers of complexity. like the '08 and '05, the palate presents itself in an understated, yet confident way. saturates the entire mouth while retaining it's spherical shape. perfectly titrated acid. etoh is undetectable. tannins, while very well managed, show on the drawn out finish; no surprise given its youth. this wine knows its worth. it is not bragging even though it could (and should). at 4.5 hrs this is really starting to sing. kudos to proprietor larry fairchild and winemaker paul hobbs!

this is a very, very strong buy for me. i'll be picking up the '09 GIII without hesitation as well. 96-97 with room for improvement. delicious!

• Recently, my wife and I were fortunate to get a little preview of the upcoming Fairchild Estate release….the 2009 Sigaro Vineyard Cabernet.

Swirling the glass, the aromas flooded my nose and I smiled on the inside. I didn’t want my obvious joy to cloud my wife’s experience. I watched her do the same and finally I smiled when she said “Holy $#it.” What a nose! Dark cherries, and blackberries, leather and tobacco …. some freshly-turned earth and gravel also peak through. Almost as an afterthought, there were some gentle oak-spices to round out the end…

The palate of this wine is really incredible. Grace with underlying vigor. Polished and pure. The wine feels understated, but is truly quite complex. The fruits enter nimbly and dance across this tip of your tongue. The weight picks up in the mid-palate and fills out, without being too “heavy”, balanced by a perfect core of acidity. The tannins are gripping, but frame the wine wonderfully and lead to a long, long finish. The fruits lead the way, with hints of tobacco, iron, and stones, with a pull of earthiness and spice at the finish.

What I like best about this wine is what it’s not. It’s not ponderous. It’s not plush. It’s not overripe. It’s not a heavy-hitter and there is no alcoholic burn at the end. It doesn’t overwhelm my palate with heft and grip, yet it still had remarkable depth and complexity. I’ve realized that I don’t always appreciate the huge, overwhelming palate presence that many Cali cabs have, that I once loved and sought after. This wine delivers the “feel” that I want, with charm and might, but without being massive. To me, this is a wonderful expression of California cabernet. Easy 97+ points.