• This needs a good 1h decant to open up. Bottom neck fill, excellent cork condition, brick red with garnet core. Initially very muted flavors, with some earth, grilled meat and some oxidized notes on the nose, the wine gains a lot of fruit, herbs and complexity with more air. Fine to medium tannins. Medium to long finish. Excellent match to pasta with an oily bacon/chili and garlic sauce at home. Drink now. 92-93

• A couple times a year I am reminded of some of my "rookie" mistakes in buying wine. The mistake that hurts the most is the single bottle purchase of a great wine. And this was an incredible mistake given this wine. It has lived in at least five different homes, has been on moving trucks four times and was a prime candidate being too old.

In fact, it was clearly one of the top two or three bottles we consumed in all of 2009. A huge solid tannin backbone led me to believe this could last at least another five years. And the velvetty smoothness of the Sangiovese grape itself made us thrilled to have picked this to ring in the New Year. All I wish is that there were 9 or 10 more left (versus zero) in the cellar.

• Nice, if a bit austere.