• Popped and poured, dark ruby. Nose is filled with red fruits, black currant, spices and a touch of smoke from oak. Medium to medium-plus body. Much like the nose, the flavors are full of red fruits...think cherries and strawberries along with notes of cedar, spices a touch of the herbaceous and again some toasty oak. Decent acidity for a CA Cab and nicely balanced overall, smooth.
    Good Cabernet, probably a great QPR in today's world of inflated CA Cab pricing.

• Drinking well right now. Not complexed just simply a nice casual fruit forward wine. Jammy Plum with just enough tannins.

• Consistent with previous tasting notes.

• Consistent with previous tasting notes.

• This wine is drinking well. It is not a classic save wine but rather a pop and poor that is fairly called a fruit bomb. I do not mind this as long as I know what it is as there is a place and time for this. ENJOY

• After reading some of the reviews was expecting a rather disappointing to bad wine but this was not -- wondered if I was drinking same wine as others.

It is one dimensional in the sense that tastes thick and jammy with clear notes of apricot and ripe red berries but it does have a good nose and the fthis wine was enjoyable on the deck after dinner .

• Noticeable improvement from the first bottle we had last year...while this is still a bit of a one-note wine, at least the note is a more pure rendition of Cabernet and less of a fruit bomb.

• nice fruit forward cab. Can cellar much longer but performed good with a few hours of air

• Is this wine remarkable? No. Is this wine as good as prior vintages? No. Is this wine as good as the Bomber X (disclaimer, I have not opened the 2010)? No. Is it as good as the Schrader namesakes? Well, did you really expect it to be at $40 vs. $175? Is it as bad as some of the previous reviews? Absolutely not.

It is disjointed, and a little vegetal. No complexity to the fruit, all plum for me. The finish is very short. Interestingly, in previous vintages I have thought this wine was excessively hot and tannic, and I don't think this is the same flaw this vintage. I also found those previous vintages to improve with some age, and I really don't see that it will happen this year. I agree that the finish is noticeably short.

All in all, drinkable, but not special in any way . . . but then that was consistent, more or less, with my expectation.

• I read with alarm the other reviews of this wine, so I opened one up. After two hours of sipping, My conclusion is this is still very young and needs more time. The earlier reviewer's "spaghetti sauce" reference is incredibly off-base and unsubstantiated, in my opinion. Be patient with this, after all, it is a 2010 vintage. Give it some time.

Do you find this review helpful? Yes - No / Comments (1)

• Blah. Had a small taste to confirm there's still nothing going on here, then threw the rest in a batch of Spaghetti sauce. Not even going to bother rating this anymore.

• Maybe a few more years this will improve.

• Not too different from my last review...still disappointing. Got a bit of a green bitter finish.

• Friday Wine Night 12/14: After seeing the other TNs, we had to try this...and are pretty much in agreement.

I've been on the Schrader flagship list since '06, and I've bought DD over the years because in the past I've enjoyed them. But this Amber Knolls is just blah, and after having the Double Diamond Bomber X vertical last week, I think I have a decent baseline; this one just doesn't have anything to it. I'm a bit disappointed as well. My reaction to this is "Meh, it's wine", which is my definition of a 79.

I get grape, and others who tried it noted peaches and nectarines, but I'm having trouble finding much else. This hits the palate and just trails off.......where is the rest of this wine? Even the slight tannins are blah...

• Mediocrity at best. Could also say buying this is the price we pay for trying to get on the mailing list for real Schrader.

Inoffensive grape juice with alcohol, one dimensional, sweet, no finish and no promise. Certainly not foul by any means. Have had Double Diamond in the past which had some personality and was interesting in its own right.

All about nothing, albeit @ $40/bottle. There is a lot of really good wine out there for the same money. Unlikely to take the bait next year. Real Schrader or no Schrader. They should be able to do a lot better.

• Pop and pour. In the glass, dark reddish-purple. On the nose, clean fruit and not much else. On the palate, more of the same. When I was starting to get into wine, many of my initial experiences were with cheap young Aussie fruit bombs, and this wine reminded me a great deal of those wines. Nothing offensive, but really nothing to hold interest, either, unless you're just really into fruit. There was a bit of tannin on the finish, so I suppose it's theoretically possible more nuances might emerge over time, but I wouldn't bet on it.

• What a disappointment...TN - grapes...that's it. All fruit, no tannin, no structure, no complexity, no finish. Drinks like grape juice with a hint of oak. I'm not sure if Schrader was going for this style or if i got a bad bottle (or if this is what Lake County taste like) but it is not good. Gift this bottle to a non wine drinker.