• I love it. Beautiful maroon color with transparency at the periphery. Most interesting nose. Distinctly Barossa with some Napa Cab characteristics without the chewiness. Big ripe red fruit, spice, vanilla, cedar. Great mouth feel, and medium bodied for a shiraz. Palate shows chocolate, vanilla, tobacco; not nearly as fruity as the nose, but well balanced. Long even finish. Excellent value. at $12 I should've gotten an entire case or two.

• Having spent long bawdy evenings with this wine's older brother (2008), admiring his depth and flamboyant character, I was intrigued by this quieter, more subdued family member. Giving the wine every chance to express itself it appears to whisper a greater story.

The first taste is beautifully round and smooth, viscous, even voluptuous. But the full story appears as yet untold as the full punch of the 2008 vintage is not yet present, and this drop slides away in the finish as if wanting to remain under the radar. My amateur instinct feels this may change in time and hope a few years will help unlock the darker secrets of the Baron 2010.

Interestingly I score the 2008 at 94 as one of the best examples of big punch and depth and this wine a 92. Whereas James Halliday's finely tuned taste buds had them the other way around. Maybe I have a lot to learn.

• Now this I like, barrel char, smoke and tense. Needs some time, I can see this going places.