2003 Viña Santa Rita Merlot Reserva

Community Tasting Notes

Community Tasting Notes (5) Median Score: 86 points

• Drank in a Mexican restaurant, and it was interesting to see how this red has evolved, had the last bottle in my stash a couple of years ago and then I argued the CT window was too short at 2005, I stick by my 'window' in that 2008 was still positive for this, although difficult to judge somewhat by the poor stems, it's grown a bit tired at this point and should be 'drank up' for those holding the 25 bottles in the community in my opinion, interesting comment by the chap that said it could be Carmere, I would agree that there is probably some of this within - Dark, with ambering rim, well concentrated with a nose of plum, cedar, green pepper and vanilla, decent complexity and structure, balanced, sweet and smooth on the palate with decent length, farwell my friend! (87 Points).

• body odor nose overoaked and tannic...lacks finish on the palate

• Definitely decant first. Just kept getting better.

• Pours a deep velvety purple. Could it be Carmenere? Aroma of fresh fruits, dark cherry and blackberries, with a bit of oak on the end. On the tongue it is overwhelmingly currants with a hint of plum, lots of green grape acids, a finish of tabacco and smoke with a hint of oak. About a 10-15 second finish. A bit heavy on the alcohol (bottle says 13.5%, website says 14.5%, my mouth agrees with the latter), and a bit sweet. It feels like there is some Carmenere in the blend, but the website says no.

I definately like it, and I would buy this again, my biggest complaint is the heaviness of the alcohol. I give it a 7.75 out of 10.

• Very good wine for the money. Very full bodied...would buy again