• Oxidised on the nose, but less so than a similar aged beaucastel.
    Fresh on the palate. Good stuff

• Bottle purchased as part of an aged lot of Rayas, Pignan and Fonsalette. Provenance was direct from Fonsalette (Rayas); could not possibly be better.

We were quite worried this '97 Fonsalette blanc would tired and old, but not at all. The first sip was a shock (in a good way).

Stone fruit and citrus, possibly meyer lemon or citron, was still present on open and for a good hour+. Nice acidity backed up a bold nose. Past the hour and a half mark in the glass, more secondary characteristics showed, apple and barely there oxidation, but with zero loss of length.

The wine remained full bodied and incredibly long throughout.
    I have no doubt provenance had something to do with this exceptional showing, but it reinforces my suspicions that Rayas's non-CDP wines are more worthy of aging than is commonly recommended.

Having said this, we will be drinking my other 2 bottles in the next 12 months.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes - No / Comments (2)

• This was a surprise. Distinct bree cheese rind on the nose, fruit is completely secondary. The palate carries that cheese hard with a odd but none awkward funky flavor profile and light orange and citrus fruit flavors. A thought provoking wine, even though I would never buy more of this I enjoyed drinking this. Definite secondary aged flavors play in this wine. A odd but enjoyable wine at this point although I am sure this wouldn't have lasted another year or two.