2006 Cadence Coda

Community Tasting Notes

• Cherry, round taste. PV at ~30% not all that prominent.

• Perfect wine for tonite. Not a wimp and not overpowering. Full bodied. Wonderful blend of tastes.

• Full bodied, some complexity.

• Great cool-climate Washington Red. Full-bodied, black fruits, drinking well now.

• Pop and pour, probably should have decanted as it relaxed over the course of dinner. Uncommon blend with 30% Petit Verdot. Black, deep black fruits, very ripe and extracted, meaty palate is interesting but just too ripe and over the top. Short finish. It did relax after an hour or so, but was never really "there" for me.

• unique blend. Enjoyable with lambchops.

• A good friend of mine is the kind of guy who actually builds all of those projects in the back of Popular Mechanics and Popular Electronics, so I was not surprised to find that he was engaged in a project with his son when I dropped by. I was surprise to find out that the project was inserting a fluorescing gene from a jellyfish into a bacterium. When I expressed admiration at his ability he dismissed it with the comment that this was the kind of project that some high schools teach their students. A quick check of the Internet showed he was correct. Gosh, if a guy in rural Central Texas is doing gene splicing in his workshop how long is it going to be before individuals with far more skill are inserting flavor genes into grapes. It cannot be too much harder to pull a flavor gene or multiple flavor genes from other fruits and put them into grapes. Will I care or will I applaud the more nuanced flavors in the wine. I don’t know; but I am sure I am going to have to make that decision before too long.

Coda is the lower end blend from Cadence winery, with lower end being relative as this is a nice bottle of wine for the dinner table. Wine was opened an hour before serving. Nose had some unique raspberry, maybe boysenberry aromas which I am inclined to attribute to the large percentage (32%) of Petit Verdot in the blend. There was also some kind of Thanksgiving spice like mace or cloves or nutmeg which I could not pinpoint precisely. Aromas were persistent over the two hours we drank the wine. Medium bodied with juicy blueberry and boysenberry flavors and that same Thanksgiving spice. Both tannins and acid were muted. Other reviewers noted some alcohol heat which has now dropped out. Really full mouth feel.

• Popped for dinner and left open for a few hours. Lots of ripe fruit and a bit of an alcoholic bite at the end. Needs either more time in the bottle, or an extended decant. Nonetheless, a pleasant enough bottle.

• Earthy, with nice fruit. I liked it better than last year's coda.

• Drinkable, but nothing to write home about. Purchased at winery event, where it tasted better than at this sitting.

• I’m a buyer of the Coda in any year but my curiosity was definitely piqued when I saw the blend led the way with 34% Petit Verdot (then cabernet, merlot, and cab franc). The initial impression was very spry, young wine, a bit tight and even showed traces of heat. After 20 minutes in the glass, things settled down to a more refined drink; impressive flavor and scents of blackberry, white pepper, very floral, and just the right amount of vanilla tints on the finish. Easy going, and a very solid buy for $22.