• Cabbage on open, that fades/oxidizes with air, but this remains roasted and oddly green/resinous underneath. Unripe stem here? Not my kind of pinot.

• Odd wine. Opens with a nasty, off-putting chemical cabbage aspect that fades with air but never entirely dissipates, even after a day in the fridge. Some sort of reduction problem? A big wine for Pinot, with roasted plummy fruit that reminds me a little of some of 1997 Burgundies. Lots of rich fine velvety extract, nicely savory, no real sweetness, good acidity. But something is not quite right here.

• Wow, this was a bit of a surprise. The last bottle I opened (different source, about 5 years ago) was equally complex but not nearly so opulent. I suspect it was still a little shut down. This continued to develop over the course of the evening. Lots of ripe but not overripe fruit, gorgeous nose.

• Something I've really been wanting to try. My first aged Arcadian pinot, and hopefully not my last. On the darker fruited side of Pinot, with beautiful perfume With darker fruits, mossy forest floor and earth. Beautiful balance and very much alive with good tension. While there is plenty of fruit, this has much more than that, with savory and earthy facets and a wholeness to its components. This has developed beautifully. At peak. Thank you JM

• -- popped and poured --
    -- tasted a single glass non-blind over approx. 25 minutes --

NOSE: spicy stems; clean red fruits; hint of camphor; very pleasant.

APPEARANCE: ruby color with slight bricking throughout; color is of medium-light depth.

TASTE: maturing red fruits; hint of leather; gently spice; high acidity; very fine tannin; medium-short finish of medium intensity. I was very impressed with how well this was drinking today; I'm not sure there's much reason to keep sitting on these, but do know if you have 'em you haven't waited too long. Was fun to share this bottle with Joe, who hadn't tasted this, his first Pisoni vintage, in quite some time.

• Lively, well structured and delicious. Continues to improve in the glass. Fantastic wine in a fantastic place right now. Thanks Graf!

• This one is still going strong and is at a perfect place to drink. Well balanced still has a good amount of fruit mainly dark cherry and berry. Some earthiness and leather on the front, nice long finish. Darn good for a 16 year old Cali PN!

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes - No / Comments (1)

• A bit of fruit (light red -- strawberry) remains, but this seemed past peak. A good deal of acidity. Still, I liked it.

3 on the AF scale.

• Yum. Opened up over about 1.5 hours. Beautiful color, wonderful finish, fantastic nose and still has good fruit after 15 years.

• mature brick colored ca pinot. opened up over 2 hours. showed better than 1994 opus one consumed same night

• Not good. Volatile acidity. Something weird here. Too bad as this is usually kick ass.

• This wine had it all, as we drank over the Christmas holidays. This wine was like a compote of red and black raspberry, swirling around and around my tongue. A very long and balanced finish simply made me close my eyes, tilt my head back and let the tasting experience wash over me. Sadly, this was my one and only bottle, and the winery no longer has it. I may need to check the auctions to see if any is out there.

My best pinot noir ever! If it gets better than this - I cannot wait to try it!

• Arcadian with Joe Davis (AOC Bedford): Probably my least favorite in this lineup. It had a strong bacon scent that reminded me of syrah and a similar salinity to the palate that really suggested a heat-stressed vintage. But the longer it sat the more it began to show the benefits of its bottle age. The meatiness turned more gamey - kind of reminded me of Ribero del Duero funk now. Still, certainly a bruiser.

• Balance and elegant. A bit dirty with brett, which is a huge negative to me. Everything else was amazing.

• fully mature. Very nice upon opening but started fading after 2 hours. Drink em if you got em.

• More of an intellectual pleasure than a hedonistic one. Starting with a brilliant translucent ruby red that seemed to make it's own light, we knew this was something different. The aromas, while interesting and multiple, were subtle and had to be coaxed forward. It had cherries, strawberry, forest floor, and a blend of funky stuff (mushrooms, earth, etc). There was a deep viscousness on the palate, and the flavors were light but persistent. This had great balance and drew you in with a different kind of pleasure

• I had no idea what to expect since this was by far the oldest CA pinot I have had. This is all about elegance and balance with fruit that is on the lean side. This is not a wine for folks that prefer in your face fruit which is no surprise since we are talking about an Arcadian. The color was a beautiful translucent light cherry with earth, mushroom, roasted meat, cherry and cranberry on the nose. The palate is balanced with good acidity that leads to a medium length structured finish with tart cherry, raspberry and strawberry. I continue to be amazed how different Joe's Pisonis are from other producers. Drank this with a delicious mushroom and lump crabmeat soup which was a nice match. If you still have this in the cellar I would recommend drinking up as this bottle was on the other side of its peak window.

• Well, I asked a while back for a mature Arcadian. This is the guidance Joe gave me. It figures that he should know! First opened at 5:30 and poured just a splash in my glass. An odd combination of scents: fried chicken and roses. I then left the cork out and put it the bottle back in the cellar until 7:00 (a modified Audouze methode). At 7:30 this wine was fantastic. Great integration yet I can complement the acid, tannin, funk and fruit individually. The tannins were, well, warm and cozy(I've never described tannin this way). The acid gave this a nice lively feel. The fruit was chocolate cherry, kirsch and maybe some strawberry. There was also some funk that to me was mushroomy.

While I've heard various things about Arcadians, this wine to me was not Burgundian, yet not like the more recent Cali fruit forward Pinots (many of which I like). Maybe it was the bottle age, maybe it is Joe's style. In any event, this was a wine to me that was delightful and one that was unique in a sea of wines that are similar. To me, combined with the word good, unique is about the best complement I can give.

I searched for this wine after the Grape Radio spot. While I will continue to thoroughly enjoy wines like Brian's and Adam's (which are wonderful wines but different from Joe's), I am a new fan of Arcadian wines as well. To me this is the great thing about wines: how they can be so different, yet so enjoyable.

• Expressive nose with red fruits, smoke, kirsch and sweets. Ripe and mouth filling on the palate, with lots of red fruit, fine acidity and sweet tannins. A bit hot, but very nice nonetheless. Still has a future. Who said Californian Pinot Noir couldn't age (a bit)?

• The color was a slightly cloudy translucent garnet, reminiscent of but slightly darker than the Grand Cru Burgundies I’ve tried recently. The nose was impressive, starting with a meaty funk as the bottle was opened but settling in with red fruit accompanied by numerous grace notes that would pop out. At various times I got clove, cinnamon, soy sauce, pine needle, sous bois and roses. On the first day the palate suffered a bit from the Burgundian problem of party on the nose, not so much showing on the palate. What did show was a fair amount of stemmy spices, quite a bit of remaining grip and good balance but a sense of buried potential as well. The second day wasn’t as expressive on the nose but the palate still wasn’t doing much although the tannins and stems had softened a bit. The third day was interesting as the tannins and stems had finally resolved and the Cali nature of the fruit was finally able to show. A lovely, very pure red cherry had emerged from its shell. I can only conclude this wine simply isn’t ready yet but if it does what I think it can do, look out! Give it another three to five years and let’s see what happens.