1979 Château Pavie

Community Tasting Notes

• 70s French Wines (Jade Palace Seafood Restaurant, Forum): Tasted blind. Dark ruby and vibrant hues.
    Fresh and vibrant, lifted bouquet of floral, blackcurrant, dark cherry, sweet spice & licorice. Elegant and showing nice fruits, amazingly holding so well so fresh.
    Nice entry, still robust, young with loads of fruits. Blackcurrant, dark cherry, spice and earthy undertones. Vibrant acidity lead to a long persistent finish. Seamless and harmonious.
    What a sensational effort as it tastes like a good 80s or even 90s. Judging that Château Pavie has not made its name in those days.
    This is so impressive and voted as WOTN unanimously by the group.

• Saturday night wines: Initial a warm and interesting wine, rapidly grew into a TCA monster.

• To my slight surprise this was the second '79 we have drunk this year alone, which marks a severe ramp up in consumption given that I bought 6 bottles in 1983 and still have 2 left. Currently the Wine-Searcher price is between $180-230 but I note an eBay auction in Germany where the current bid is a mere $5. There is always that nagging question, do I drink or do I sell? Well I never got in the game to profit so it really is a moot point.

The level was very generous at the neck, higher than the previous couple. The cork came out entire, in pretty good nick although soft and sodden. The color fantastic, all garnet red with a white rim, no yellowing in evidence. As before, notable berry fruit combined with the civilized aromas of oak. Still two left to go is the nice closing thought.

• We last drank one of these in 2007, some 19 years after consuming the first. I am slightly shocked to see that my reaction in 2007 is little different from what it is this evening, all the more so since I declared to be slightly disappointed in 1988.

The label had come off during an inundation of the cellar (well if the cork is good, what should that matter?). The cork came out entire, although fragile, and the level was below the shoulder.

Of course one tends to be biased with things one loves, but I do not exaggerate the deep garnet clarity with just a faint fading in the rim. Lovely bouquet of old drawing rooms and books; but on the palate is where it shines with bright currant fruit that lingers an age. How few people probably get to enjoy a Bordeaux at the right maturity. We are blessed; and three still to go.

• Still interesting and enjoyable to drink. Despite there being virtually no fruit on the nose, this smelled very interesting and delicious. The palate still had a small amount of fruit intact with a good amount of structure still present. A nice length finish showcased many interesting secondary flavors. An enjoyable drink overall.

• Opened up quite a bit over an hour. Now shows heavy aromas of smoke, dark chocolate chips, cabbage growing in dirt, and some graphite. Quite pleasing nose. Some dirty cherry fruit, wet wood, some soil, Brussles Sprouts, and tannins and smoke build on the palate. Finish shows some mushrooms, soil, and not really holding any fruit. Still very pleasing; best on the nose.

• I think this wine is a bit past its peak and on its way down. The 85, which I had recently, is at its apex right now. Fruit is a bit thin, with a little greenness peaking through. Olivine character beginning to show. An interesting wine for sure, but certainly not in its prime.

• nice - but a little past prime. Funk that would not blow off - but still good fruit underneath.

• Stood bottle up about two hours before opening. Cork was half saturated, but intact. Not surprisingly, a fair bit of sediment on the bottle and following decanting. Color has faded down to ligh ruby, but not bricked. Very little nose to speak of, which made me worry that this had turned, but the taste is still there. Not a ton of fruit, mind you, but enough. Black currant, leather, gravel, a hint of oak. Drank with brie and cheddar cheeses, apples and crackers. Not a 'knock your socks off' bottle, but a good experience nonetheless. If you have one, I'd drink it, because I doubt it's got a lot left.

• Hard to believe that almost twenty years have passed since consumption of the first bottle. I have battled with a strong emotional attachment to what was then my first (of what I expected to be many to come) foray into the futures game. Time and occasion never seem to present themselves and I probably fuss too much but yesterday I took the plunge and broached another.

Maybe I will be shown to be the beneficiary of this reluctance to consume. In all honesty, I had expected the thing to be tired and worn and that I would be left regretting my indecision. Oh, how gloriously wrong on that point! The level was down to the top of the shoulder; the cork came out intact although it was a little frail and thoroughly discoloured with a gorgeous old cellar smell. The wine showed a crystal clear garnet red with a lowering intensity at the rim but no evident yellowing. The nose was big, cedary, fragrant, complex and subtle. On the palate it was even better, with a strong initial berry fruit - redcurrant - followed by a swirl of other events. Everything was well resolved, all the tannins mellowed out. Dulcie thought the best wine she has had.

Another twenty years to the next one? Probably not.

• We drank the first bottle before they were shipped from N.J. to my new home in Illinois. At the time I wrote, "Somewhat disappointing: comparative lightweight. Unexciting bouquet, not long-lived in the mouth. Good balance but lacking power."

Obviously not a ringing endorsement. Perhaps the wine was dumb back then.