2009 Torrin “The Banshee”
Often times in the making and presentation of wine we address the sense of place. A blend of Rhone Varietals, The Banshee is an expression of the vast array of factors that make up Torrin Vineyard on any given vintage. For 2009 with a core of beautifully ripe Syrah from a cool east face making up 60% of the blend, it is the remaining 40% that gives it the character and soul we expect from The Banshee. In warm years like 2009 the later ripening varietals like Mourvedre and Grenache shine. Mourvedre from a warmer west facing hillside composes 22% of the blend and gives it depth with underlying notes of earth, dried herbs and black fruits. Finally with 18% Grenache grown on a warm southern slope the wine comes together expressing bright red fruits up front, a fantastic mid palate presence and balanced acidity throughout the finish. Aged on its lees for 18 months in a combination of 228L barriques and 500L puncheons the wine was bottled unfined and unfiltered in May 2011. While certainly age worthy, this wine is probably the showiest of the vintage in its youth.
Cases Produced: 150
Vineyard Notes: 100% Torrin Estate Vineyard
Winemaker Notes: 60% Syrah / 22% Mourvedre / 18% Grenachehttp://www.torrinwine.com/index.cfm?method=products.productDrilldown&productID=ad9bbf88-0a31-b38d-c95a-8da4e48e2002&pageID=a09170d2-2264-112b-b1d9-4dccc4793445&sortBy=DisplayOrder