Tenuta Sette Ponti lies in the heart of the Chianti area, not far away from Arezzo. The oldest vines were planted in 1935 by Duke Amadeo d’Aosto vice-king of Ethiopia, in remembrance of a victory. It has been the property of different members of the Italian royal family until the end of the 1950s, when architect Alberto Moretti bought it from Princesses Margherita and Maria Cristina di Savoia d’Aosta, daughters of Vittorio Emanuele III, king of Italy from 1900 to 1946. The Moretti family started working at the estate as soon as the end of autumn 1957. In 1996, Antonio Fioravante Moretti, Alberto’s son, took over. He was the leader of a group of companies in the sector of luxury and fashion, but decided to follow his passion. He decided to bottle the wine directly at the estate. His 1998 Crognolo and his 1999 Oreno have both become symbols of the oenological vocation of Tuscany. The winemaker is Carlo Ferrini, one of the best in Italy, who also works for other prestigious Tuscan estates such as Fattoria di Petrolo, Talenti and Brancaia. The vineyards comprise 150 acres. The estate, like many Tuscan estates, is multi-dimensional. The huge 750-acre property incorporates a stud farm for race horses, breeding of native Tuscan Chiana cattle, a preserve for a rare breed of pig, and fields of sun flowers and maze.
The Sette Ponti estate lies fifteen miles northwest of the city of Arezzo in the heart of the Chianti zone. The name Sette Ponti translates as "seven bridges" and refers to the seven bridges crossing the Arno River on the road from Arezzo to Florence.
Curiously, in a region where 200-year-old wineries are commonplace, Sette Ponti didn't even make wine until 1997, when owner, Dr. Antonio Moretti, asked his good friend Piero Antinori if he thought the estate could produce great wines. Antinori's response, loosely translated, was "Ya, sure, ya betcha!"