Hewitt Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon is a single-vineyard, limited-edition wine that highlights the character of our estate without overwhelming it. We harvest the grapes at peak maturity, ferment them for optimal extraction, age them slowly in new French oak and bottle without filtration.
The resulting wine has deep black cherry and currant fruit complemented by classic Rutherford expression of cocoa, cedar and black olive. Impressive and elegant, Hewitt Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon may be enjoyed in its youth or savored after years in the cellar.
The site that is now Hewitt Vineyard was first planted to vines in 1880, when Dennis Hanrahan bought the parcel bordering Gustave Niebaumís Inglenook (now Rubicon Estate). The Hanrahan Ranch survived Prohibition by shipping grapes east to home winemakers. In 1962, William A. Hewitt, head of Deere & Company (John Deere), bought the vineyard and replanted it to Cabernet Sauvignon with the help of famed wine master Andrť Tchelistcheff.
By the late 1800s, Rutherford was already well-known for its high-quality wine grapes. The spot that was to become Hewitt Vineyard first came under vine in 1880, when Dennis Hanrahan planted the parcel bordering Gustave Niebaumís Inglenook (now Rubicon Estate). In 1900 the region welcomed another winemaking pioneer when French emigrant Georges de Latour purchased land adjacent to Hanrahan and Niebaum and planted the first vines for Beaulieu Vineyard.