Santa Lucia HighlandsPlanted:
1997 Total Vineyard Acreage:
Pinot Noir, Syrah Clone/ Rootstock:
Pisoni Clone planted to 3309 and 5CExposure:
6x8 and 5x8Vines per acre:
1089 and 908Soils:
Arroyo Seco Sandy loamClimate:
A marine climate highlighted by strong coastal winds blowing off Monterey bay make for foggy mornings, breezy afternoons and a long, drawn out growing season. Average summertime high temperatures are in the mid 70's.
The Garysí Vineyard is a joint venture between two
native growers of the Santa Lucia Highlands. Gary
Pisoni and Gary Franscioni planted this 50-acre
vineyard to Pinot Noir and Syrah in 1997. Its location
on a sloping hillside in the center of the 16-mile long
appellation offers a true representation of the Santa
From Club Testarossa June 2013 tasting notes:
In the hierarchy of great California vineyards, it doesn't get much better than Garys' - the eponymous
collaboration of winegrowers Gary Pisoni and Gary Franscioni - one of the most famous estates on the
West Coast. The Wine Enthusiast designates Garys' vineyard as the closest vineyard to an "American Grand
Just off of Highway 101 about 80 miles south of San Jose takes you to the heart of the Santa Lucia
Highlands Appellation - home to Garys' Vineyard. Owned jointly by the Pisoni and Franscioni families and
managed by Mark Pisoni and Gary Franscioni, this is one of the crown jewels for Pinot Noir collectors.
"We view our vineyard as multi-generational commitments to growing grapes that can produce the most
remarkable and balanced wines."
Testarossa has one of the longest running, closest relationships with the vineyard - the 2011 vintage marks
our thirteenth release from Garys' The Highlands close proximity to Monterey Bay's cool climate make for
one of California's longest growing seasons. The vineyard's sloping orientation on the southeast facing
bench on sandy, gravelly loam soils provides just the right mix of sun, wind, and fog. Testarossa's section of
Garys' Vineyard is three pristine acres of the famous "Pisoni Clone" Pinot Noir, originally planted in 1997.