2006 Ramey Cabernet Sauvignon Larkmead Vineyard
Last edited on 11/19/2011 by jedly
This is the only version of this article / View version history
Mystery Wine #23
This is one of those offers that appeals to such a wide spectrum, I can’t imagine we will have a more popular offer this year – what should be (by far) the most sought after Mystery Wine yet in the series. Yes, I said that a few weeks ago with Mystery #22 but Napa Cabernet Sauvignon has an even larger/more rabid following than Oregon Pinot Noir and this is a single vineyard Cabernet (from a famous producer), not just a regular bottling.
To ease the bottle-purchase shock still lingering from Mystery #22 (the Pinot Noir), I attempted to delay #23 for a few weeks so everyone could recover – that’s not going to happen. I just got off the phone with the winery and this deal becomes a “now or never” enterprise – one that should be so exciting to most of you let’s just dive in with abandon...
What I can tell you:
• Major/famous Napa Valley producer with a multitude of acclaimed wines at the very top tier.
• Today’s wine is a single vineyard 100% Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon with high critical praise (it is not a generic Napa bottling).
• My only clue as to the style: Tanzer gave this an even higher score than Parker which should tell you a lot (Parker loved it as well, let’s say between 92-94pts but Tanzer REALLY loved it).
• This wine is not just a critic’s darling – tasters out in the world have bestowed high praise as well - the last CellarTracker review (a week ago, early July 2011) was somewhere between 95-97pts (the average score for this wine is around 93-94pts – ridiculously high for CellarTracker).
• The quoted retail from Parker/Tanzer is between $70-95 (although it can occasionally be found on sale for as low as $45-55 from some of the top US retailers - the winery will not allow less than that, even on super-discount). The winery mailing list is between $70-90 and most retail listings are around $70 (there are a few listings in the $100’s).
• I fought with them tooth and nail on this but...you will get to see the label when you open your shipping box (or pick up). This is not going to be a Kinko's label, it’s the exact same wine/label/bottle/cork, etc that you receive on the winery mailing
list or at a top retailer.
• This wine has years to go before peak – it is a true Napa Cabernet with at least another decade (or two) in the tank before hitting a plateau.
• I can’t tell you anything else.
Ok, here we go...
Today the price is...
$29.82...and...it’s directly from the winery cellar with the finest provenance available. On your mark, get set...GO!
FIRST COME FIRST SERVED up to 60/person until we run out
Current Garagiste Email List Members will be given priority over friends or those you forward this email to (although they can still give it the old college try – they may have more success piggy-backing on your order instead of setting up a new account and hoping for an allocation – just a hint)...
Mystery Wine #23 (Napa Valley Cabernet - single vineyard)