* 58% Zinfandel, 22% Carignane, 18% Petite Sirah, 2% Mataro (Mourvedre)
* 14.4% alcohol.
* Bottled Jan 2009.
* Winter quickly came and went, leaving the vines short on rain, but in good shape to begin an early growing season. A mild summer moderated the pace of ripening, allowing color and flavor to intensify. Mid-August heat accelerated maturation, and we harvested at ideal ripeness from late august through September. Parcels and sub-parcels fermented on natural yeasts in fifty small tanks.
* As we blind-tasted over the ensuing months, Geyserville's unique character seemed clearest in thirty-nine of the lots. The exceptional quality of caignane and petite sirah argued for their full inclusion; percentagees are comparable to the superb 1991 vintage.
* By years's end, the blend was aging in air-dried American oak barrels.
* Sensuous structure and opulent fruit give this fine wine immediate appeal. firm tannins and acidity assure its longevity over the next 10-12 years.