2006 Casa Lapostolle Merlot Cuvée Alexandre Apalta Vineyard
Last edited on 10/4/2009 by fries
This is the only version of this article / View version history
* Grape Variety: 85% Merlot – 15% Carmenere
* HarVeSt: Hand harvested from the end of March in small 15 kilos baskets. Most of the wine comes from non irrigated 60 years old vines, of limited yields.
* cONDitiONS Of tHe year: The 2005-2006 season was quite normal but late summer temperatures were cooler and resulted in a growing season that was drier and colder than the past seven years. There was no rainfall during harvest; but due to the cooler temperatures throughout, the primary challenge of the 2006 vintage was the extended hang-time in order for each variety to reach proper phenolic maturity. This extension of the season conserved the fruit and allowed for good concentration with soft, well-rounded tannins. Cold nights at the beginning of april preserved the natural fruit acidity and lively expression. On the other hand, we were lucky that conditions remained stable and a dry autumn allowed us to wait patiently to harvest ripe fruits at the level of maturity we were looking for.
* ViNificatiON: Quality control of the bunch and of the cluster using long sorting tables before and after the destemmer. Must was fermented in stainless steel tank with native yeast for 15 days at 28-30° C, followed by a two weeks post-fermentation maceration. The wine was aged 8 months in new and one year French oak barrels (20% new oak and 80% used). Bottled in September-October 2007.
* taStiNG NOteS: COLOR: Deep ruby red with bright violet hints. NOSE: Ripe black and red fruit such as plums, red and black currant with notes of rosemary, white pepper and basil. Elegant oak touches in notes of vanilla and nutmeg. MOUTH: Round and creamy on the attack with a good weight on the mid palate, finishing with fresh acidity and a long and pleasant sensation.
* SERviCE aND FOOD PaiRiNg: Ready to drink now or cellar for several years. Decant and serve at 16-18°. ideal companion for meats and elaborate dishes.