* 100% Zinfandel. 14.6% alcohol by volume.
* Bottled Dec 09
* This second drought year reduced yields in Benito Dusi's 86-year-old vineyard. The vines ripened uniformly and we harvested all three parcels within a week -- a record.
* The three were kept separate, and 2 of the 6 tanks were fitted with grids to hold the caps submerged for fuller extraction. Primary fermentation was carried out by natural yeasts. Juice was pumped over the cap twice daily until pressing -- day eight, on average. Uninoculated secondary fermentation took forty days. The finished lots were blind-tasted for assemblage; for once, all could be included.
* The wine's concentrated flavor called for a higher-than-usual percentage of new oak.
* Exotic barrel spices complement the vineyard's ripe bramble fruit, and this year's intense color is striking.
* Integrated and enjoyable now, this excellent vintage will develop over the next 5-7 years.