1. dharrison93

JancisRobinson.com

JancisRobinson.com

Vintage Tastings

Hong Kong Killers, 2/5/2010 95 points

(Montrose) The second to last wine of the night would ultimately become the group’s wine of the night. The nose was open and exotic, full of blackberry fruit in its nose. The palate was rich and saucy, with coffee grind and earth flavors and a meaty and dense personality. It was a Dr. Jekyll bottle of 1990 Montrose, which can often be green and unpleasant, but this was obviously one of the ‘good’ bottles that received so many accolades (95).

RJonWine.com

3/22/2008, (See more on RJonWine.com...) 93 points

(Château Montrose) Great tart currant, roast beef and horseradish nose; lovely, still youthful, tart cassis, plum palate with firm tannins; medium finish 93+ pts.
    6/29/2007, (See more on RJonWine.com...) 93 points

(Château Montrose) Dark garnet red color; truffle, dried cherry and dried mushroom nose; intriguing, plush, tart plum, tar, coffee palate, young yet; long finish 93+ pts.
  • By Richard Jennings
    1/7/2007, (See more on RJonWine.com...)

(Château Montrose) "Great!" (see what I mean about my notes?)

Vintage Tastings

Paris a la Mode with Dr. Desai, 9/19/2005 95 points

(Montrose) has always been a bit of a controversial wine in my mind, never living up to my expectations. I suppose I need to curl up with a bottle for five hours, as Mr. Squires insists, one of these days; my one Achilles' heel as a wine writer is that I tend to experience many wines at once and smaller samples. I enjoy the comparison and contrast of that format most; however, I do recognize that my impressions may be more snapshots than full length videos, but I doubt that I am alone in that regard when it comes to those in the business of publishing their notes. Back to the 1990&the nose had that greenish hue with the bean but also a sweet pinch of cinnamon, and there were much more pronounced aromas of barnyard and animal, which has always been one of my issues with this wine. There were a lot of horses racing around my glass, thoroughbreds perhaps, but horses nonetheless. A touch of morning mouth did not help, and I am talking about the wine and not me. The nose needed a lot of coaxing to shed its animal skin and don a mineral one. Once that skin was shed, I slowly started to become more infatuated with the wine and found more mocha, coffee and piercing minerals within. The horsy quality faded back in and out; it was a wine that almost needed to be swirled a few minutes before each sip and evaluation. The richness of fruit was clearly superior though, but its animal components kept distracting me. The plump, rich and fat fruit combined with its elegant and long acidity won me over a bit, but I still have my doubts about this 'modern-day legend'
    A Mega 1990 Bordeaux Tasting with Clive, 3/21/2005 94+ points

(Montrose) was never a wine that blew me away, a wine that I always felt was a trip to the farm. This bottle was no different with its horsy, stinky nose, earthy and dirty as it always has been. On the palate, the wine was great, with gorgeous texture and concentration, I will admit. It was oily, balanced and long, with lots of earth. The texture was amazingly concentrated, so much so that it could easily improve, but the animalistic edge to it was not a pleasant one. Clive really felt the Montrose this night, calling it .much more to my taste than the Cos . pure, harmonious, long and intense,. and gave it 19/20
  • By John Kapon
    Hanging with Mr. Parker and Mr. Squires in Baltimore and D.C, 2/21/2005 92 points

(Montrose.) Eric said it was like Australia meets Bordeaux, which raised some eyebrows, but what he meant was that the Montrose was very concentrated by Bordeaux standards. The nose was a little green and stinky, as it always has been in my book. There was green, barn, horse in the barn, horse out of the barn and earth to its nose, with some cassis underneath. The palate has similar flavors, though less wild. .Interesting wine,. Wilfred said tongue in cheek. The palate was a bit herbal and horsy, although Eric loved the wine, and its texture was its major redeeming quality

NOTE: Some content is property of View From the Cellar and JancisRobinson.com and Vinous and Vintage Tastings and RJonWine.com.